PDA

View Full Version : PA31 Endorsement?

spudschickenlegs
1st Jun 2011, 09:03
I am interested in getting a Chieftain Rating. Anyone know of a good place to get one? Good price? Good instructors? Good plane? I live in Darwin, so the closer to Darwin the better for me. But I am willing to fly to a Capital city like Sydney or Perth if the price is right.

Thanks fellow ppruners :)

PercyWhino
1st Jun 2011, 09:35
Airspeed Aviation at Scone in NSW. Good instructors with lots of experience on type and you'll get a thorough endorsement.

:: Airspeed Aviation | Home :: (http://www.airspeedaviation.com.au/)

spudschickenlegs
1st Jun 2011, 10:15
I have had a price quote of $1000 per hour flight time. Plus instructor fees. Is there any outfit that can do better or is this the going rate these days?

Horatio Leafblower
1st Jun 2011, 13:07
In rough figures -

Cost is probably $550 dry;
plus about 160-170 litres per hour for fuel;
so it's $890 before you even make a dollar off the machine.

Add an instructor (someone with meaningful Chieftain time who might prefer to be somewhere else) at about $120/hour and $1000 looks cheap I reckon.

:(

aussie027
1st Jun 2011, 14:05
Hey mate, maybe check these guys out--

http://www.countrycapitalaviation.com.au/

they have an ad for PA31 endos on the AFAP jobs page, here

Australian Federation of Air Pilots - AFAP - Pilot Jobs (http://www.afap.org.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?art_id=398&nav_cat_id=127&nav_top_id=73)

geeup
2nd Jun 2011, 02:29
Try Port Macquaire in NSW.
Johnston Aviation or there is another one who does them there as well

The Green Goblin
2nd Jun 2011, 09:56
With the Australian dollar being so high against the NZ dollar, would it be cheaper to fly home to NZ and get it done there? is it possible or legally does it have to be done in Australia to be recognised on your licence?

I haven't dabbled in Mathematics since Year 12, however Darwin to NZ return plus a minimum of 2 hours for a twin rating would equal well over $2000.

See when Direct scares Chief Pilot is up next to do some PA31 ratings. I'm sure you'll be able to work something out on the side.

P.S When you get a job flying one, the company will cover your rating. I never paid for a single multi engine rating.

spudschickenlegs
2nd Jun 2011, 10:28
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes I already thought about flying back to kiwi land to do one but I think it would end up cost more money and time.

Thanks Green Gobber. I had not tried them, will hit them up tomorow.

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Jun 2011, 23:29
P.S When you get a job flying one, the company will cover your rating. I never paid for a single multi engine rating.

Dunno about that. I do many endorsements for pilots from NT/WA companies who have to fork out themselves.

Not saying it's right either.:cool:

harrowing
3rd Jun 2011, 00:37
Many moons ago, I had an opportunity to fly freight in an Aztec.
Being in dire need of night twin hours I was very keen to do it.
The boss asked if I was willing to pay for the endorsement, I said I was, got it and he never charged me for it.
So maybe I had the right attitude, or was just lucky?

sms777
3rd Jun 2011, 11:16
My Chieftain endorsement cost me zilch since the company I was flying for simply ran out of PA31 drivers so I was in the position of becoming one. All paid for. Obviously things have changed these days.