PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Oldest Aero Club Evicted?

Stationair8
31st May 2011, 08:25
Noticed taxiing at Launceston today, it looks like Australia's oldest aero club has been evicted from it's premises.

A very very sad day in history if that is so!

Another nail in the GA coffin.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
31st May 2011, 12:38
YEP! A SAAAAAD Day indeed!

Lotsa 'big' & 'little' ones disappeared over the years as well.

Some have been 're-born' under another banner, even doing different things - e.g. RAA stuff instead of 'VH' stuff.

Not to take anything away from your post, Mr S, but I always thought that 'Royal Newcastle' at West Maitland held the 'grand-daddy' title......

Cheers:ok:.

TAU MATAMATA
31st May 2011, 21:30
RNAC was origonally at Broadmeadow in Newcastle. In those days West Maitland was used by RNAC for night flying.

cficare
1st Jun 2011, 09:47
S8....what was it that made you conclude it was/has been evicted??

PLovett
1st Jun 2011, 14:25
S8 - I believe moving a bit further south down the flight line. The hangers surrounding TAC are being taken over by a freight company which would be very restrictive for the club.

While the loss of their clubrooms will be a loss as they have a certain ambience not often found in such places the club is well placed to with regard to its replacement as I have been told they have a long-standing rental agreement that was put in place long before the airport was privatised which has to be honoured so they may well get something new but at the old price. Hope so anyway for the club's sake.