PDA

View Full Version : New YRED CTAF

ThePaperBoy
30th May 2011, 08:32
Read through the NOTAMs today and noticed Redcliffe finally has a different CTAF to Caboolture and Caloundra. Firstly, about bloody time! Secondly, lets hope everyone starts using it on the correct date - I bet someone gets the NOTAM date/time mixed up.

What frequency is everyone now going to make all of their radio calls on everytime they change direction over Bribie Island?

ThePaperBoy
30th May 2011, 08:35
REDCLIFFE (YRED) C7/11
AMD CTAF FREQ TO 127.15 FM 1106011400
CARRIAGE AND USE OF RADIO IN COMPLIANCE WITH CAR 166 IS REQUIRED BY THE AERODROME OPERATOR FROM 05 260119 TO PERM

Kicks off Thursday.

tmpffisch
30th May 2011, 09:04
For such an important change like CTAF frequencies, it surprises me that they don't add in the body of the NOTAM, in plain English what the local time of the changeover will be, just to ensure there is no confusion ('cos come on....someone's bound to stuff it up! :ugh:)

xxilim
30th May 2011, 09:05
"1106011400"

Isn't that at 2400EST Wednesday... or 0000EST Thursday yep never mind mental blank :rolleyes:

NZScion
30th May 2011, 09:43
You mean like this? (Random Kiwi NOTAM)
B2298/11 FROM: 28 MAY 2011 18:00 TO: 27 JUL 2011 12:00
NZ02,NZ03,NZ04
AMEND CHRISTCHURCH APP/FIS HR SER WITHIN HAMILTON CTA/D AND
CTR/D,
ROTORUA CTA/D AND CTR/D, AND TAURANGA CTR/D AS FLW:
0600-2200 MON-TUE...(Text Deleted)...
HR IN NEW ZEALAND STANDARD TIME (NZST)
NZST IS 12 HR AHEAD OF UTC
REF AIP SUP 2/11

Jabawocky
30th May 2011, 10:55
What frequency is everyone now going to make all of their radio calls on everytime they change direction over Bribie Island?

Considering that the vast majority of them are made from a select bunch of aircraft, I would suggest they will be on 127.15 :}. That being said I bet they remember to change to 118.8 passing the Beachmere area and clog up our frequency with that cr@p.:rolleyes:

HappyBandit
31st May 2011, 00:40
Ahhhh finally...now at least we wont be hearing the multitutde of traffic doing circuits on Runway 07 as we fly in and out of Gladstone! :ugh:

peuce
31st May 2011, 00:52
Excuse my ignorance, but what has the "Aerodrome Operator" got to do with the management of CAR 166?

VH-XXX
31st May 2011, 00:56
Excuse my ignorance, but what has the "Aerodrome Operator" got to do with the management of CAR 166?

Surely a private airfield operator should be able to mandate the use of radio at their own airport??? I can think of a few airfields where this SHOULD be the case.

Dora-9
31st May 2011, 04:59
Jaba – Oh how true!

Happy Bandit – since both Caboolture and Caloundra are still on 118.8, aren’t you still going to have interference?

What a fascinating process this has been. While I agree that three busy airfields sharing the same CTAF frequency is less than desirable, are you aware that both the Caboolture Aero Club committee and the Redcliffe Aero Club CFI are/were very much opposed to this change? My understanding is that they were very concerned about “late” calls from aircraft proceeding between the two airfields if the frequencies were split, as they’re but 8 nm apart. Apparently CASA chose to ignore both club’s wishes and listened to the strident clamouring of just two individuals.

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to leave Caboolture and Redcliffe on the one frequency, and split off Caloundra? There isn’t the problem of short transit distances, and it removes the confusion of having aircraft calling their position at two airfields (on the same frequency) which have the same runway directions. But then I wouldn’t dare suggest CASA listen to the people who know or use much sense either.

Seemingly whenever you seek an approval now from CASA you’re required to submit a Risk Analysis – I wonder if they did one for this exercise.

Jabawocky
31st May 2011, 08:06
Dora you dingbat :=.......you speak too much common sense! :D

I agree, YRED/YCAB should be 118.8 and Gladstone should bugger off ;), and YCDR plus the whole of Bribie Island training area should be on the YCDR frequency. But that would be a funny CTAF dimension and would need to be marked on a chart...........ohhh bugger we know what happened with that concept:E

ThePaperBoy
31st May 2011, 22:37
The YCAB and YRED split doesn't make sense and there could be some issues during the transit along the coast between Bribie Island and Beachmere with inbound calls etc.

Apparently CASA chose to ignore both club’s wishes and listened to the strident clamouring of just two individuals

I'd be interested to know who these two individuals are.

I'd urge pilots to submit an incident report everytime there is a conflict with another aeroplane due to different frequencies and hopefully in 6-12 months it will be changed.

On the other hand, how about you DON'T make a radio call every time you turn, change height or sneeze overhead Bribie Island. It seems to me to be a bad habit developed by the RAC clan many years ago. The Archerfield and Gold Coast training areas can be far busier and they all manage ok by looking out the window.

Tinstaafl
1st Jun 2011, 02:25
In years gone by, RAC never used to overuse the radio. A call inbound at Deception Bay, a call joining x-wind and a call turning base. Even circuits rarely involved more than a call turning base. What changed?

peuce
2nd Jun 2011, 05:17
VH-XXX,

Surely a private airfield operator should be able to mandate the use of radio at their own airport???

Don't get too upset, I told you that I'm ignorant :O