PDA

View Full Version : Having your mobile follow you around.

Ejector
30th May 2011, 06:57
Many folks here for work would regularly go overseas. A new gig see's me falling into this, I want people for another 2nd biz I am trying to make work to be able to call me.

The best I can come up with is divert my mobile through to a rented landline number from a VOIP company like Engin or Skype then get a world subscription or just pay the per min rate for this to a mobile number to what every country I am in.

So I would need,
1. Paythe diversion cost of my mobile
2. Aust land line number from Engin / Skype
3. Engin / Skype subscription
4. Local sim card in what ever country I am in to receive the diverted calls from the VOIP provider.

Any other ideas ?

VH-XXX
30th May 2011, 09:52
When I travel OS I buy a Skype number for my local departure point (where my business would be) and direct my normal contact number to that.

Problem being that you need data plans or sims in every country. If you're not expecting a lot of incoming calls, simply pay for the diversion for inbound calls and use Skype to dial out on a data plan and assign your mobile number to your Skype account so when you ring people back home, your actual mobile number appears.

Last time I had one the Skype number was $27? for 3 months, plus the 3 cents a minute or whatever it was at the time for the calls.

Homesick-Angel
31st May 2011, 00:50
Skype is the way to go.maybe if you know you will be back at your home base each day at a certain time(with a wireless connection), then you can leave your message to say you will contact or be contactable at these time.
if you have a laptop, then buy a prepaid internet dongle, and you can skype from wherever you are.
In the end if you absolutely need to have contact, roaming and getting charged like hell is the simple and expensive option.
Most of the time when Ive been OS, we buy cheap prepaid phones, but this is more to contact each other, as people calling in from OS will get charged like hell

Capetonian
31st May 2011, 06:36
You may find some of the answers given here :
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/452713-ip-phones-numbers.html will be relevant to your case.

VH-XXX
31st May 2011, 07:36
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious for you Ejector, however if you didn't realise, you can run Skype on an iPhone or Android phone. As a result you'll only need a data plan on your mobile plan OS and you can tether to your laptop if required. You can run Skype 24x7 on the phone and always receive calls from your Skype number.

Ejector
2nd Jun 2011, 23:45
If I get an iphone and use skype on it, I would need a 3G connection where ever I was correct? As the skype uses a data feed?

I often go rural, with no 3G available, so I was thinking to use skype to divert to a "local" mobile abroad (based in country overseas in which I am in at the time, which is included on some plans even.

Thinking that skype would feed into the mobile phone network in the cities where good internet is, then use the local mobile phone network to follow me around.