PDA

View Full Version : CAA PPL w/FAA IR Flying in Australia?

G73DC
28th May 2011, 15:40
Hi,

I really hope you guys can help me out here. I'm a NZ citizen living in London with my Australian wife (and children) and will be moving to Sydney in a year or two (max).

I currently hold a CAA(UK) PPL in both SEP and MEP, including Night Qualification Rating which has been recognised by the FAA (US) as a 'Foreign Based License'

I would like to get my SEP Instrument Rating ASAP and am looking at the many options available. I have discounted the CAA(UK) IR already (soon to be EASA IR) as this is quite frankly (imho) too archaic to comtemplate (kudos to those that have it by the way! - no disrespect intended), so I will likely obtain the FAA IR instead by training in the UK.

The question is, will CASA(Australia) allow me to exercise the privileges of my CAA PPL / FAA IR whilst flying N-reg aircraft in Sydney, presuming it is possible to rent N-reg aircraft there?

Also, as I will be moving to Sydney I will need to do a full license conversion at some point, but dont know whether CASA will recognise my FAA IR, or at least count the hours towards a CASA IR?

As always, I will be eternally grateful for any advice provided!

Thanks and regards

bentleg
28th May 2011, 21:44
Information about recognition of Overseas Licences in Australia here (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/manuals/regulate/fcl/010r0501.pdf).

If you are moving to Oz permananently I think you need to face up to converting to an Australian licence, and all the red tape that entails. If you wish to fly privately a "Special Pilot Licence" might be achievable while you go through the hoops.

There are not many (if any) N registered aircraft available for private hire in Sydney.

Waghi Warrior
29th May 2011, 00:29
If you are going to remain in Australia for an extended period just get an Australian licence with the ratings. It will saved you grief and money in the long run. Not to sure how CASA look at this issue, however I recon you could only hold a certificate of validation for a limited time, not to mention the fact the getting an N reg'd aircraft to private hire in Australia would be very difficult, if not impossible.

Good luck.

Lasiorhinus
29th May 2011, 15:37
IF you can find an N-registered aircraft for private hire anywhere in Australia (which I highly doubt), and you hold an FAA license, then its nothing whatsoever to do with CASA.

If you do find one, please let us know.