PDA

View Full Version : Tassie Aeromedical Contract

tasdevil.f27
28th May 2011, 10:58
The open tender for the contract has been advertised by the state government. The tender closes on July 6.

Skystar320
28th May 2011, 11:58
Anyone can provide a link? I guess it would be an interesting read

Warm Ballast
29th May 2011, 00:36
Here you go -
Tasmanian Government Tenders - Fixed Wing Aero-Medical Services (http://www.tenders.tas.gov.au/domino/tenders.nsf/all-v/ADABA34C65EC62EACA25789D000F6D11)

Skystar320
29th May 2011, 02:15
appreciated, thankyou

catseye
29th May 2011, 05:09
So who got the rotary wing contract in TAS or is it still under discussion.

cficare
29th May 2011, 08:27
a Victorian based Kingair has been touring the islands airstrips .....

Jamair
29th May 2011, 10:07
Is this the contract currently held by RFDS (SE) out of Launceston? Be interesting to see if they keep it, after the EN loss....:(

tasdevil.f27
29th May 2011, 10:15
Sure is, the RFDS have been trying very hard to keep the contract and avoid it going to tender. Unfortunately the state finances are a mess & the state gov are looking for any savings that can be made. I doubt that the RFDS will have much chance of winning the contract, send your applications to Pel Air now I say...:{

Wally Mk2
29th May 2011, 10:23
G'day 'tas'..............I'd be very sad to hear if you guys end up the way we where at EN, kicked out due money alone...........there's no honor in anything these days the bean counters run the world:-( Humans are just a 'tool to be used:-(

Good luck hope that common sense prevails................Pelair???? God 'elp you lot !:sad:

Wmk2

Capt Claret
29th May 2011, 11:16
Pelair???? God 'elp you lot ! :sad:

Isn't Tassie a smallish island surrounded by water? :p

Jack Ranga
29th May 2011, 13:06
Ah (so) Confuscious make plediction..................

Perair win contlact................

Perair is inundated (confuscious hate frucking words with l and r so inundated good word) with appricants for pirot jobs.

Harf of appricants knocked back.......ahh, you ask why? Appricants not have physics pass? Appricants not have veggie maths pass? No.......harf of appricants cannot swim :cool:

Molar of story? You cannot swim, you a rooser :=

Wally Mk2
29th May 2011, 21:57
You funny flucker 'JR':E Ingrish & pisix guarantee to make land right?:E
Just don't get sick in Tassie is all I can say:)

Pelair& Is Ops don't mix:-)

Wmk2

Wally Mk2
29th May 2011, 23:49
Good come back there 'LS' that philosophy could also extend to.... does anybody want to fly in an Airbus that's powered by a RR engine? The 'list' covers ALL operators. These Aeromedical contracts are based on one thing........MONEY, not who's the best.

Wmk2

morno
30th May 2011, 00:14
You know, the more I read from you Lester, the more I'm convinced you're Lim Kim Dim Sim himself from Pelair/Rex.

You never have ANYTHING good to say about RFDS and will defend Pelair/Rex at all costs.

Makes me wonder, :hmm:.

morno

scarediecat
30th May 2011, 00:37
But but but Pelair "IS Aeromed". Forget about freight-no money there. "Pelair are Aeromed" in Australia. So what about the RFDS, PELAIR IS AEROMED!

All the good folk of Tasmania need to do is keep one eye on Victoria. Don't be too hasty with any rash decisions.

Hans Solo
30th May 2011, 00:41
Must be out of the loop Wally.....what's Lester's references to Gambier and Coffs referring to?????
Were there some incidents regarding RFDS?
..............I need to get out more.

Hans

Wally Mk2
30th May 2011, 00:56
'Hans' am very aware of MTG & CFS thanks. 10 yrs in the service I'd hardly think I would not know about those two accidents, one very sad:sad:.

Wmk2

Jamair
30th May 2011, 01:46
Wally, I don't think Hans was having a go; in fact I think he was saying that HE has been out of the loop rather than you.

Considering the record of RFDS ops over 87 years, vs ANY other operator, I would happily put my welfare in RFDS hands.

Howard Hughes
30th May 2011, 01:59
All the good folk of Tasmania need to do is keep one eye on Victoria. Don't be too hasty with any rash decisions.
I will be an interested observer, I think the landscape will be very different in the next two years.:eek:

Back on topic the Tas contract is looking for a January 2012 start date..."tell him he's dreamin son"!;)

scarediecat
30th May 2011, 02:03
I think there is relevance looking back on the Coffs incident right now. Alot of holes lined up that day and lessons learnt by the RFDS. (the MTG accident was tragic but a reason has never really been found. I have a theory but so do alot of others). Pelair right now have a new aircraft type, new pilots and a dead line to adhere too. Alot of pressure, similarity's to the lead up to Coffs and alot of holes lining up. Does Tassie want to run this risk? Sure by the time Tassie start a new contract every thing may settle down for Pelair but maybe not. The biggest asset they have in LT is their "people". Pilots and Engineering etc etc. The scariest thing is that in Victoria 75% of the pilots are not staying. 75% of the biggest assest-gone. As I said earlier Tassie should be keeping one eye on Victoria. :ok:

Wally Mk2
30th May 2011, 02:04
'jamair' I had considered that as the other option 'Hans' meant as it could be read both ways. But yr prolly right there 'J'.:ok: Either way it still boils down to $$$$ at the end of the day.
At least PelAir will have some good ex RFDS drivers in their mits but out of 16 or so RFDS pilots only 5 or so jumped ship.........I wonder why?

'morno' what do we do too with Dim Sims? ...........we fry 'em! :E

Wmk2

Hans Solo
30th May 2011, 03:35
Completely off the mark Wally.....was hoping you could shed some light on the comments............I did'nt connect the places mentioned to the accidents that transpired.
Yes, this part of the industry is not without its dangers, but considering what we do, day-in day-out, I would say we have a very enviable safety record.

Hans

tasdevil.f27
31st May 2011, 07:51
It will be interesting to see who is the winner... Can only hope that the RFDS wins, being that the state was so keen to tender it out makes me wonder. I do believe that the RFDS still has the lease on the majority of the hanger, Tas Ambo may have some small bit (not 100% sure on the nitty gritty)

Tas Ambo service may find out that a different operator may not be so willing to put up with their mismanagement and asorted crap. The grass isn't always greener.

So if the RFDS do loose where would Pelair work out of??? There is the QF Hanger coming off lease, in a bugger of a spot however. If I was the RFDS I wouldn't be terminating the lease so the opposition could move in...

AaE are moving down the apron, so there is a hanger there but it's totally rooted so if the asbestos doesn't kill you then pelair might :suspect:

Harry Cooper
31st May 2011, 10:01
Has anyone considered a third contender or fourth? Everyone is all RFDS v Pelair, what about the likes of Roger Corbin ? (already a big player in the Tassie Aeromedical scene). Perhaps also a mix of Careflight and Ausjet? (again).

Stationair8
31st May 2011, 10:08
Weren't they talking off getting two IFR choppers to replace the B200 and the Mojave?

Waghi Warrior
31st May 2011, 11:43
Rotorlift ! I was waiting for them to be mentioned. I personly recon these guys have a very good chance of getting the contract, especially if the Tasmanian Government have anything to do with it. They also have an ex RFDS B200 kitted up and ready to go I'm led to believe. If they get the contract no doudt Hobart will also be the new base.

fanning
31st May 2011, 12:03
It's been made pretty clear that Launceston is the base

Rort-o-lift..., what else are they going to do with the B200??? Especially with the police helicopter contract winner still not announced yet?

PLovett
31st May 2011, 13:37
fanning, I think the rotary wing contract is a foregone result. When you get to write the terms and conditions of the tender and you are the only local (and possibly Australian) operator who can meet those T & Cs' then it is all over red rover.

There was a move a few years ago to shift the base to Hobart but a lobbying campaign by the doctors involved headed off that move but I reckon that there is still some political mileage to be gained and it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't another crack at it, especially if another operator gets the guernsey.

fanning
1st Jun 2011, 00:50
When you get to write the terms and conditions of the tender

quite a statement, i wasn't aware that it was quite that corrupt

CharlieLimaX-Ray
9th Jun 2011, 08:28
Modern generation are just too soft, bring back VH-BSF and Captain ZZZ!!!

fanning
9th Jun 2011, 12:27
BSF ... she's still at YCBG I believe ...

swab
7th Aug 2011, 05:16
Ahh BSF...once the pride of Dodgy Don's Airlines.

Howard Hughes
7th Aug 2011, 05:34
They also have an ex RFDS B200 kitted up and ready to go I'm led to believe.
Why would you pick an ex RFDS machine when you can have the real thing?:E

Anyway I think you will find the contract calls for new aircraft(s).:eek:

Hmmm...There seems to be a few posts missing from page one!

PLovett
7th Aug 2011, 12:02
Howard, with the Tasmanian government's financial problems at the moment it can almost be guaranteed that they will go with the lowest price. So if there is one tenderer who needs to cover depreciation of a new aircraft and another who is offering a price with a fully depreciated aircraft it will be a no-brainer.

What will be fascinating to watch is where the air-ambulance base will be. There is little doubt that the government would like it to be in Hobart (don't know why but it has been floated a few times before) while the medical profession (and RFDS) want it to remain in Launceston where there is a nice nearly new facility. Rotor-Lift have space at Hobart on the freight apron that they could use should they get the fixed-wing contract. Space at Hobart is at a premium because MAPT won't spend money on putting in an access road that would open up space to the south of the existing freight apron.

Watch this space.

scarediecat
8th Sep 2011, 22:21
Any news yet? A decision must be coming soon!

Wally Mk2
8th Sep 2011, 23:05
..............hey 'scardie' how's it goin' there?:) I believe the decision is due in this week, fingers crossed for the 'ruffdus' drivers down in 2 headed land, shame to see another ruffdus base get carved up due $$$$ only.

Wmk2

Aussie Bob
8th Sep 2011, 23:15
Given the way Lara and her team of manwhores are going I wouldn't be surprised if it was all handed over to Angel Flight

ChrisJ800
9th Sep 2011, 01:04
or Gunns :)

fanning
9th Sep 2011, 02:18
when is the helicopter one going to be announced?

scarediecat
9th Sep 2011, 11:06
Wonderful :O thanks wally :O:

when is the helicopter one going to be announced?

There is a helicopter in Tassie for aeromed! Excuse me for my ignorance. It makes sense except it must only be available a few months of the year. 5 months out due weather/ice, 5 months out due maintenance!! :p

tasdevil.f27
10th Sep 2011, 08:53
All seems very quiet on the chopper contract atm, think the gov has a few other issues on their hands atm... Or maybe just maybe it might be announced when the fixed wing contract is announced. Maybe CareFlight to run both perhaps.......

Good luck to the boys at the RFDS, hope it goes your way!

tasdevil.f27
22nd Sep 2011, 09:18
Interesting development, maybe Pel-Air have woken up that aero medical isn't as good as they thought.

TASMANIA'S Royal Flying Doctor Service is awaiting news on its future, as a commercial airline that intended to compete for its aero-medical contract announced it had pulled out. The successful tenderer for the state's air ambulance service is due to be announced by the state government within days, but the Royal Flying Doctor Service has not been told whether its deal will be renewed.
When tenders were called in July, Regional Express subsidiary Pel-Air confirmed it would compete against the RFDS, having already won the Ambulance Victoria contract.
But a spokeswoman said yesterday that it ultimately decided not to submit a tender.
The RFDS has run the service from Launceston Airport since 1997 and its $28 million contract expires in January.
The state government decided to go to tender in March, arguing the need to ensure value for taxpayers' money.
Foundation RFDS member and past Tasmanian president Lindsay Millar said he doubted another operator could provide a better service.
"As for the price, a commercial operator is tendering to make a profit, and where does the profit go? Into their pocket," he said.
"Since 1997 we have contributed $8.2 million to the Tasmanian health system."
The tender process means that even if the RFDS is successful, it would be ineligible for Commonwealth grants and could not use donor funds.
It would also lose the right to display its logo, with a government spokesman confirming the new aircraft bought as part of the contract will carry Ambulance Tasmania livery.
"This was also a requirement under the previous tender but it was waived during negotiations as the aircraft being supplied already carried livery," he said. Mr Millar said winning the contract would not only secure the use of the aircraft, but a $600,000 aviation training simulator. "Without the tender we'd still have our clinic services, the rural women's GP program and our medical scholarships, but the aviation side is the major part."

bigbrother
22nd Sep 2011, 09:32
:Like all useless arsehole politicians shackled to the missapprehention that running a tender will get better "value for money" this contract would have gone to the lowest **** bidder. Underpaid pilots, crap support, and **** service. RFDS like many other service providers over the years have done a good job through a common dedication to provide a service. Bring in some a.hole contractor and the heart and sould goes out of the whole program. Perhaps the reason Pelair has pulled out is because it's pilots are leaving en-mass, and can't service current contracts as a result. because they treat people like crap. Ask anyone leaving Pelair and the answer is the same. :ugh:

Under Dog
22nd Sep 2011, 21:44
Having observed the change over of the contract first hand I would say Pelair has a hell of a lot to learn re single pilot Aero med ops despite them spruiking of their experience in the Aeromed industry.

The Dog

PLovett
22nd Sep 2011, 23:19
There is a helicopter in Tassie for aeromed! Excuse me for my ignorance. It makes sense except it must only be available a few months of the year. 5 months out due weather/ice, 5 months out due maintenance!!

scardiecat, it is actually the police helicopter which also provides an emergency aeromedical service. The machine is fully equipped & crew are nvg trained & equipped. It operates all year round.

The police helicopter is provided by a commercial operator under a contract which is also awaiting a tender announcement for the continuation of the service which includes police work, search & rescue, evacuation and aeromedical. The company that currently has this contract has also tendered for the fixed-wing aeromedical work.

Warm Ballast
23rd Sep 2011, 09:25
The 'Police Helicopter' operated by RotorLift has been operating on a monthly basis for quite a time since the contract expired - maybe 18 months? This current operator has now been given a new 12 month contract until a decision is actually made ...

Welcome to Tasmania - have a nice yesterday.

knightflyer
23rd Sep 2011, 12:21
"Having observed the change over of the contract first hand I would say Pelair has a hell of a lot to learn re single pilot Aero med ops despite them spruiking of their experience in the Aeromed industry."

Now Now, you can't have had much to do with PelRex,:= it's actually Aeromed has a lot to learn on how it should be done from them!!!:ugh::ugh:

Wally Mk2
23rd Sep 2011, 22:59
"KF" ...now that's funny!!!:D:E

Wmk2

AIREHEAD
24th Sep 2011, 00:10
Heard a rumour that Pelair have dropped a few shifts due lack of crew. Any truth?

CharlieLimaX-Ray
24th Sep 2011, 09:18
Do the pilots and ambo's still work for Armaguard in Launceston on their day's off? Or was that stopped when the RFDS took over?

Dog One
24th Sep 2011, 09:48
One could only say, the Tasmanian Labor Government is a bunch of morons, hell bent on ruining a once good state to live in.

One wonders if "credit cards" were provided by those wishing to tender for the contract.

By losing the RFDS logo and the ongoing Federal Government grants, it proves that the Health Minister would not have a clue how to run an effective air ambulance service.

The financial state of Tasmania is much as the Federal state, proving the point that Labor governments have no idea how to manage money.

Stationair8
29th Sep 2011, 02:07
Perhaps the operating cost of the Boeing C-17 Globemaster are a bit too high, and the consultants and government officials are now looking at the Cessna Skycatcher?

Jamair
29th Sep 2011, 14:03
Don't worry too much about who gets it; when Bob and the loony greens get power they're going to ban all those nasty polluting aircraft anyway.......:mad:

PPRuNeUser0161
2nd Oct 2011, 08:35
SE Section RFDS to get it back. That's my info. Should be official real soon.

SN

Wally Mk2
2nd Oct 2011, 10:02
I hope that is the case 'SN', some sanity might prevail at least down there in 2 headed country:E

Wmk2

Harry Cooper
2nd Oct 2011, 10:04
Official tomorrow

Howard Hughes
3rd Oct 2011, 01:48
Official now! (http://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/SPContent.aspx?PageID=14&ItemID=268):ok:

morno
3rd Oct 2011, 02:09
Makes you wonder if Pel-Air will refrain from bidding for other aeromedical contracts when they come up, after pulling out of this one and the difficulty they are rumoured to be having with their Victorian contract.

morno

Howard Hughes
3rd Oct 2011, 02:28
Or if they will pull out of one(s) they already have?:eek:

If a suitable replacement can be found of course...;)

Oishi
3rd Oct 2011, 02:49
Very happy to hear that for all the RFDS staff in Launceston.

glekichi
3rd Oct 2011, 02:55
Great news.

Although I just had a thought - it's bad for a foreign company like pelair to be taking profits out of aeromed and takjng them overseas, but if they make a loss does that mean effectively foreign shareholders are funding Australia's aeromedical services? :}

No good if they aren't providing the service required though.

AIREHEAD
3rd Oct 2011, 03:51
The first sensible decision the Tas government have made for years

Wally Mk2
3rd Oct 2011, 04:05
Great news, congrats to all my friends(I think there might be one!:E) down there in Tassie,some sense has finally prevailed:ok:
As for the Vic contract?........well lets just say that someone wants a swift kick up the Khyber for being dumb in the first place!!!!:ugh:

Wmk2

AIREHEAD
3rd Oct 2011, 05:16
Come on Wally, They all loved you down there, and your still missed by all the SE guys

Wally Mk2
3rd Oct 2011, 15:10
...........now come on "Airehead" I thought our little monetary arrangement for you making me look good up in lights was a private thingy:E
What really made me squirm in my seat when I first read yr lovely comments was the 'SE' bit.......for a moment there I thought you where referring to Single Engine.....ohhhh ahhhhh that's heart attack stuff! :ok:
The SE Section rocks:ok: The Central section.......well their too slow & churchy for me:E.........Western Section..........whole lotta nufin' over there:ok:...........and the Qld section?...........well lets just say they are in a world of their own:ok:

Wmk2

scarediecat
4th Oct 2011, 06:07
Congradulation's to the RFDS and Tassie government. :ok:

Or if they will pull out of one(s) they already have?

If a suitable replacement can be found of course...

Won't be happening. Too many ego's would get dented for this too occur. My two cents is that Pelair will be up for sale eventually. Not really part of the REX group core interest is it?

CharlieLimaX-Ray
27th Nov 2011, 02:01
Any truth in the story that Princess Mary visited the RFDS base in Tasmania last week?

Saw a nano second of a news item with an RFDS B200, Princess Mary and a hangar full of people.

ChrisJ800
27th Nov 2011, 02:15
No, she arrives in Tassie today. The RFDS base visited was Broken Hill I think.