PDA

View Full Version : 'Watch' this Spitfire video

TheWizard
27th May 2011, 00:11
Came across this video on Utoob. Does anyone know the background behind it?
It is obviously a promo vid for IWC watches but I was wondering where and when it was filmed?
Classic Spitfire stuff with a JU52 to boot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2oJjUoG0I

jamesdevice
27th May 2011, 00:34
credits say
"Los Angeles: Chino Valley Airport, French Valley Airfield"
"Zurich, Duebendorf Airfield"

However there are credits for computer effects as well and to be honest the film looks computer generated in many parts. Wouldn't surprise me if the planes actually filmed were something siimple and cheap, with computer tweaking producing the effect of the Spitfires and Trimotor
And anyway, there can't be many clipped wing Spitfires around can there?

dropintheoggin
27th May 2011, 00:44
There's a clipped wing beauty in the pipeline that will hopefully hit the circuit in the next 24 months. A beaut

Airborne Aircrew
27th May 2011, 00:58
Wasn't it the supercharged MkIX they called "clipped, cropped, clapped"?

MightyGem
27th May 2011, 09:16
Tri Motor? No. JU 52? Yes.

http://www.ohioverticals.com/blogs/car_chase/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ap001-s-ford-tri-motor-600.jpg

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/ju52_kp.jpg

Ascot 5999
27th May 2011, 12:27
Sorry Wizard, a big yawn. Certainly computer generated and only an advert really. Spits always good to watch, but not in this false setting.

Great Tri-motor pics MG.

barnstormer1968
27th May 2011, 12:57
For God's sake, don't leg BEag's see this.....He'll have a heart attack:E

Either that, or tell him it ends at three minutes and forty seconds or something:ok:

BEagle
27th May 2011, 13:13
Wasn't it the supercharged MkIX they called "clipped, cropped, clapped"?

:8 No, actually it was the Spitfire L.F. Mk Vc:

Clipped - reduced wingspan to improve rate of roll at low level.
Cropped - supercharger impeller modified to suit low level operations.
Clapped - most of them were modified after a pretty hard previous existence!

A nice IWC commercial! Bit of a brassy Yank woman though, definitely not in the same class as a certain well-appreciated 'Section Officer' ;) !!

jamesdevice
27th May 2011, 13:30
the IMDb database says the advert was released in 2006

the "brassy Yank woman" is called Nina Bergman
Nina Bergman - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1683137/)

ExAscoteer
27th May 2011, 13:51
No, actually it was the Spitfire L.F. Mk Vc:

The LFIXc and LFXVIe were both also referred to as Clipped, Cropped and Clapped.

dead_pan
27th May 2011, 14:03
I don't think the flying sequences were GCI (well, except the scarf). Its a bit of of a daft ad - is it supposed to be a send-up of TopGun? Anyone spot the cameo by John Malkovich at the end?

treadigraph
27th May 2011, 14:52
The Spitfires and Ju52 are real enough, the Spits are the two former Fighter Collection aircraft now resident at Chino, a Mk IX and Mk XIV.

PPRuNe Pop
27th May 2011, 15:10
John Malcovich is in my view a brilliant actor. His current ad with Ray Clooney as 'St Peter' is a charm. His expressions are his forte.

He is in a new film called RED, with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren (a challenge to that 'section officer' of BEeags) - a very good film.

MightyGem
27th May 2011, 15:48
spot the cameo by John Malkovich at the end?
You didn't see him at the beginning, then?:hmm:

MrBernoulli
27th May 2011, 20:16
His current ad with Ray Clooney as 'St Peter' is a charm.Did you mean George Clooney, PPRuNe Pop? :p

AES
27th May 2011, 21:15
Gents,
No mention by anyone yet of the Ju 52 featured - it looks like one of the 3 off a/c operated by JuAir, based in Duebendorf, just outside Zuerich (and incidentally the home of the original ZRH airport before "today's" ZRH opened at Kloten, about 50+ years ago now). Not only Ju 52s to fly in at Duebendorf, but also a pretty good aviation museum to visit too (just as well 'cos you'll have plenty of time to visit it while waiting for your Ju52 ride - get you name down now, pay for the ticket, and your seat allocation will probably come up next year)!

And Yes, of course he means GEORGE Clooney (are you all talking about the Nespresso ads we have on Swiss TV here - "George, we re-cycle up there you know"!)

No idea where the Mk V clipped wing Spits came from though - and the film itself was pretty daft.

Cheers
AES

Flash2001
27th May 2011, 21:30
My understanding of the appellation "Clapped" was that it applied to the Spitfire Mk VD for obvious reasons.

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!