PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS (e.g. Garmin 695) vs Ipad + reciever

maehhh
26th May 2011, 20:49
What would you prefer as backup device?

Is a portable GPS like the Garmin695 worth the extra money?
Or does a Ipad do the same job but a lot cheaper? At least the size of the screen should be similar..

Can't wait to hear your opinion, but please this is not meant to be a pro&contra-GPS-in-the-cockpit discussion... :ok:

BackPacker
26th May 2011, 21:44
A backup device to what? Easy VFR on the Mk. 1 eyeball, compass and stopwatch requires a different kind of backup than hard IFR.

I've been flying VFR for over five years with the most basic Garmin eTrex (current retail less than 75 euro) as my backup device, and I've recently bought an iPad G3 with Airnav Pro (and am really impressed with it).

I have never considered getting a 695 as backup device. Maybe a 96C and I have even occasionally looked at eBay for used 296 prices.

However, if your mission profile is more difficult than easy VFR, the 695 might be a very good choice. But for that money I would not consider it a backup device, but a primary device backed up with something else (preferably non-GPS based).

Johnm
26th May 2011, 22:00
In any sensibly managed cockpit GPS is the primary navigation backed up with whatever takes yer fancy. Therefore buy a purpose designed aviation GPS (Garmin is good) for VFR or IFR as your aeroplane and qualifications dictate.

I fly IFR and VFR and my aeroplane has Garmin 430W Garmin 150 and Garmin Pilot III which I use together to good effect. I also have some other stuff, ADF DME VOR/ILS which is switched on but not much used and I carry some maps.

Mark 1
26th May 2011, 22:00
The gap is closing, but the Garmin still gets my vote.

I have both; a 695 on a RAM mount and the IPad by my side.

The Garmin has the brighter screen, easier flight planning and menu selection, is more heat tolerant, has terrain display and alert, geo-referenced approach plates.....

The IPad can store VFR and IFR charts and plates for the whole US even on a 16GB model, is cheap to update, reasonably bright, light and can be used for internet and carrying PDF documents for all sorts of things (I have Lycoming parts manuals, scans of the aircraft logs, all the avionics manuals etc.)

If I could only take one with me, it would be the Garmin. If I had neither, I'd probably still do the same trips, but have to work a lot harder. But having both is nice.

We're very lucky these days and things keep getting better (in this respect at least)

Rod1
26th May 2011, 22:02
What BackPacker said plus;

What type of aircraft? An Ipad under a bubble canopy will not be readable in sunlight (I have tried one). A Garmin will be readable. A GPS you cannot read is useless as a backup.

Rod1

maehhh
27th May 2011, 16:47
Lots of interesting points, thank you so far! I was talking about VFR (sorry didn't mention that), but IR will come one day too...

What Mark1 mentioned is the main thing that makes the decision so difficult.

I am sure when it comes to the main task of a GPS - navigation- something like the Garmin does an excellent job and actually I would not hesitate to go for it!

However an Ipad is much more multifunctional and enables you to bring Manuals, AIP, other PDFs, check weather + Notams (3G of course) and so on...

007helicopter
27th May 2011, 22:38
I would say 2 entirely different bits of kit, a bit like saying what is better a Yamaha 250 or a 1.8 Mondeo.

Both are superb for different reasons but the 695 is by far the better portable navigation for Aviation.

The ipad can do a 1000 things a 695 never will and is excellent for charts and memory map, weather, filing flight plans etc.

The ipad1 is also I guess about a 1/3rd of the price dpending on memory of a 695, I would say get an ipad and a cheaper Garmin and have the best of both worlds.