PDA

View Full Version : Ravenair flying school closed

Hudson Bay
26th May 2011, 09:29
Anybody confirm that ravenair has ceased all flying from Barton? A number of the engineers have been laid off and I am aware that they recently lost an engineering contract. Because of Ravenairs Fragile economic position they insist all invoices are now paid instantly. ie no cash, no aircraft. Is this the end of the Raven?

Narrow Runway
26th May 2011, 09:41
Is Wayne Barrett still involved?

Nasty piece of work when I knew him in jmc.

42psi
26th May 2011, 09:48
I know the newsletter from Barton said Ravenair had given up the lease on the clubhouse

Hudson Bay
26th May 2011, 11:59
I know WB is known as the Airport idiot at Liverpool!

Shrimps
26th May 2011, 12:08
They weren't when I visited yesterday.

Duckeggblue
26th May 2011, 13:47
....weren't what ?

Shrimps
26th May 2011, 14:23
Sorry, weren't closed. This was about 12pm, so whether something came through later I don't know, but there was certainly no sense of impending doom about the place.

Duckeggblue
26th May 2011, 16:03

Flylogical
26th May 2011, 16:23
Their Isle of Man operation is also a proverbial dog's dinner...Took everything out, put nothing in...."Manx Flyers" (aka Ravenair) being a running joke (or open sore) round these parts...:\

gg190
26th May 2011, 17:38
The grapevine has it that they have decided to withdraw flight training from Barton and close the engineering facilities there, not sure on when this is happening.

742-xx
26th May 2011, 19:24
This is indeed bad news. Ravenair do the maintenance on the LAC planes.
Does anybody have any idea just what effect this will have ?
Do Ravenair 'own' the maintenance altogether or just part, or is it merely a name thing ? It always seems to be the same faces whenever I go !!

Clitheroe Kid
27th May 2011, 10:27
I recently had a problem getting my aircraft out following a service. they needed cleared funds in the bank. Would not even accept a copy of a Bacs receipt (which can't bounce). After calling the FD, they did let us take it. The quality of their work has always been first class, but the admin's a disaster.

commander73
29th May 2011, 05:43
See new website, news section:

Ravenair - Aircraft Management, North West England, Liverpool Airport, City Airport Manchester (Barton Aerodrome) (http://www.ravenair.co.uk/news/index.html)

Rgds
C73

Hudson Bay
29th May 2011, 10:41
Sounds like Ravenair are struggling to deal with the recession. Companies have to be innovative in hard times which is something Ravenair isn't. Now that there is even more competition at Liverpool I wonder how long that operation will last. I for one won't be handing over any cash to them.

sammypilot
29th May 2011, 11:13
Ravenair have something like 25 aircraft based at Liverpool. It must be extremely difficult in the recession to make them pay. Don't know what they have at Barton.

Hudson Bay
19th Jun 2011, 07:12
sammypilot

Hardly any of the aircraft actually work!

Roger OBrien
9th Jul 2011, 12:53
Still very much open at Liverpool, where I'm currently about half way through an instructors course.