PDA

View Full Version : European IFR Charts on G695?

Contacttower
24th May 2011, 11:00
I recently bought a Garmin 695 and I'm generally very happy with it, it does loads of good stuff and has a great feeling of quality about it. However I'm rather disappointed with the situation with regard to displaying terminal/approach procedure charts on it; when I got it I paid a bit extra on the website and bought the world wide nav database so I could use the FliteChart feature when flying in the US - I can read all the approach plates for the USA which is great for when I go flying in the states.

However why then does one have to pay £300 for the privilege of reading JeppView charts on it in Europe...not for the charts themselves but the ability to read them :ugh::ugh:. The capability is clearly there since I can read the US government ones which come as a free download when you buy the unit. Does anyone know of a way round this? Would it be possible for example to download AIP issue charts onto the unit somehow and read them?

IO540
24th May 2011, 11:05
I know somebody who eventually, after much hassle, found a way to do this for UK (etc) Jepp plates, but he reports that the image quality was crap.

Apparently the unit displays poorly scanned plates, not what you get if you run Jeppview on some 80x86 windoze box of 800x600 or greater screen.

I don't know anything about this but a 695 is obviously not a 80x86-CPU windoze box so obviously cannot run Jeppview code natively. Jepp could have written a viewer for their database, like they have done for the Ipad, but it appears they have simply provided a way to view graphic images on the unit.