PDA

View Full Version : Electrica items off for take off and landing

Vortex81
23rd May 2011, 13:41
Why are we asked to switch off our iPods for the take off and landing?

G-BPED
23rd May 2011, 13:55
Some electrical items transmit signals and it is impossible to list those which do or don't as new products come onto the market all the time.

So, it is easier to make a complete ban during certain sections of a flight.

Another (good) reason for having i-pods/headsets off is that listening to music during an important part of the flight may prevent the user from hearing an important safety/emergency announcement.

radeng
23rd May 2011, 18:44
Even devices without radios in can (and do!) emit interference. The facts that they have a label on them saying that they meet certain standards only means that the one tested did - many Far Eastern products have the suppression components removed once they have had one tested, and the device is in production! There are some electrical items that have to stay on for all stages of flight - pacemakers (even though they have radios in them), hearing aids and the like.

dhc83driver
23rd May 2011, 21:57
Its not normally the everyday stuff that causes problems, its the guy who dropped and damages his electronic device that thinks its ok,

How many iphones do you see with cracked screens, water damage and people complaining that they need to get it fixed as it dose funny things!

but now is generating interference in all sorts of ways that it was not designed for. The off for take off and landing goes some way to minimise the risk, that is very small of problems. Most common problems would be interference for the crew on the comm radios, and on the Nav Kit. Not what you want on a bad day doing a Cat3 autoland in fog. Risk minimal. But easy to eliminate. Turn it off when asked!

As for ipods and earphones. Off and headphones out for takeoff and landing allows you to hear what is going on and any emergency instructions.

PAXboy
23rd May 2011, 22:14
Hi, Vortex81, welcome aboard, if you check the forum FAQ under:

CAN I USE MY GPS IN-FLIGHT?

There are two threads that cover electronics in the cabin.

L'aviateur
24th May 2011, 01:51
Whats nice to see is that more and more airlines make an announcement allowing phones to be switched on immediately after vacating the runway, or during delays for departure.