PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire world charity flight

jxc
23rd May 2011, 07:52
Thanks to the Mods They are allowing me to post a link to my site :D

Next year I am hopefully going to be flying round the world in a Spitfire (ok Replica) Mk26b 90%
In aid of the international children's heart foundation
my son was born with major heart complications.

Anyway if you wold like to read more and show your support

Spitfire World Challenge (http://www.spitfireworldchallenge.com)

jxc
24th May 2011, 16:50
Many Thanks to everyone who has viewed our site :D

Mark 1
24th May 2011, 19:53
That sounds like a great adventure. I wish you all the best.

Will you be building it in the UK through the LAA?

Carrying fuel and survival gear for the 2000 mile legs across the ocean sounds like quite a challenge. I guess you'll have to do the long legs solo to make room for ferry tanks etc.?

soddim
24th May 2011, 22:19
Shame it's not a real Spitfire.

jxc
24th May 2011, 22:30
I agree a shame it is not a real one :( but if you want to buy me one i will fly it for you.

on the leg Easter island to Chile my son will get a commercial flight as I will have a bladder tank on the back seat.
The plane will be on the 'N' reg at least that way it can do IFR if needed

But what a great adventure for my son and I

Cheers

SilsoeSid
24th May 2011, 23:11
Are we supposed to be impressed with that cavalier low flypast on your website? (even the guy in the film says "up a bit, up a bit" !)

YouTube - HIGH LADY MK26B SPITFIRE

Can I take it that the money raised will help to purchase the aircraft and pay for all the costs involved with the trip, including getting the bladder tank to Easter Island. Anything left over will then go to the charity? What will happen to the aircraft in between and at the end of all the other 'adventures', such as the pole to pole?

Sorry to be so cynical, but after seeing that 'cowboy' video on the website home page, I begin to wonder what other tricks are going on in the background.

Mark 1
24th May 2011, 23:36
The video doesn't concern me, as it is on the kit manufacturers web site and appears to be filmed at an airstrip.

I agree that seeking public sponsorship to cover trip costs doesn't inspire me. Its one thing for commercial sponsors who are looking for publicity in return, but I think individuals would do better to support the underlying charity directly. The web site should make it clear where people's money is being directed.

Jon Johanson's book "Aiming High" would make good reading for what's involved in this kind of endeavour.

The IFR bit is interesting. The US allows suitably equipped kit-planes to fly night and IFR on airways, but most countries (including the UK) restrict non-certified aircraft to day/VFR only. Canada insists you have an IR for flying over the ocean even on a VFR plan.

BBOWFIGHTER
25th May 2011, 07:21
I have been around the block a few times and having viewed this venture I am sorry to say it does not impress me. Some of the legs are seriously long and with a "bladder tank on the back seat" I do wonder if the aeroplane is suitable for many many reasons.

I am also concerned that you have only held a licence for 2 years as a PPL. That is, frankly, not much experience when you come up against bad weather, mountains and ice. There are so many iffy's that it is easy to get caught out. Even if your planning is on top line it won't mean a thing when you meet the unexpected.

I would give this trip more thought, get the views of just one RAF navigator. Run it past him. If you ask on here a nav, and others, will be only too pleased to give you advice.

I am sorry to put a damper on it but a 90% Spitfire is not the machine I would use for such a trip. The cost for the trip will be phenomenal too.

Lastly, someone has mentioned that the Canadians will require that you DO need an IR for oceanic flight in VFR - there are many other rules like that to be followed. And where are you going to stow the survival gear you will need, and have you got two navaids (vor's and dme's and an NBD as backup?). All very romantic but hardly safe I would say.

jxc
25th May 2011, 08:28
Many Thanks for comments and concerns.
All the public money is donated straight to their paypal account we are funding through commercial businesses. I know it is not much longer but I have held my PPL for nearly 3 years. Later in the year we will be installing a glass cockpit to IFR standards.

SilsoeSid
25th May 2011, 10:12
Undeniably it will be a great experience for both yourself and your son, however whenever I see these events start off, I always wonder if the money it costs to perform the act itself would be better placed in the hands of the charity it is being done for.

I realise you are aiming to raise £1 mill for what is a very good cause, I support CRY (http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/) myself, are you able to tell us how much the whole event will cost?

Aircraft £250,000 (Would you be buying one anyway?)
Plane trip £250
Airfare from Chile to Easter Island and back costs approximately $800 US. (http://www.netaxs.com/~trance/rapanui.html)

30,000 Nm @ Cruise speed:160 kt = 188 hrs
Fuel consumption: 28 - 30 lts/hr @ 65% throttle

188 hours = 5,640 litres @ £2.00 litre = £11,280 (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/fuel/fuel.shtml)

My point being, assuming the aircraft is being bought especially to do this, already over a quarter of the amount that you intend to raise will be spent doing the trip, I wonder how close it will finally get to the total target....

SilsoeSid
25th May 2011, 10:14
...Having said all that, it's no different in principle to doing something like the London Marathon. Obviously on a much lesser scale.

Total needed to raise if on a charity place, £1500+

Pair of running shoes £100
Gels/drinks throughout training £100
Transport to/from and entries for training events £250+
Accommodation/food/cabs for long weekend for family £400+
Train to/from London £60

Total cost to self possibly around £1000

But rather than simply donating the 'grand' to charity and watching the event on TV, while having a brew and eating a bacon roll, the achievement obtained is priceless.

I for one wish you good luck and as with all these things, the hard work is in the preparation beforehand, leaving the event itself to be enjoyed and experienced. :ok:

p.s. Do you need someone to accompany the bladder tank to Easter Island ;)

SFCC
25th May 2011, 19:48
A very magnanimous gesture.
That will fail.
I have a very nice homebuilt aeroplane that Is IFR capable.....but I won't even think about trying it.
I strongly suggest you do the same, unless you wish us all to read about you in the aviation press.

Harsh...yes

Fair...yes

Forget it . It WILL end in tears.:=

dakkg651
25th May 2011, 20:40
jxc

I believe Amy Johnson had less than 150 hours when she set off on her Australia flight.

This was in a tiny Gypsy Moth with only a basic turn & slip for blind flying and a cruise speed of 80 mph.

So, I say, ignore the doom and gloom jeremiahs and go for it. If you fail, then at least you will have had the satisfaction of having tried an endeavour which not many of us would even contemplate.

Good luck to you and your son and I hope you raise a lot of money for a good cause. :ok:

Dak

jxc
25th May 2011, 20:57
With proper planning most things should be accomplished yes it is a big adventure but is or most of it is a lot of shortish flights all put together.
I for one don't intend putting my son's life or mine at risk we will not be on any deadline so bad weather no go.