PDA

View Full Version : Flying in SW England/S Wales

GAZ45
22nd May 2011, 14:13
Hi all,

I'm just finishing my JAA PPL (if all goes to plan) here in the US... and before long I will be heading home. I live about 20 minutess north of Cardiff, so I am pretty much equidistant between Cardiff and Bristol. I want to get flying in the UK when I get back ASAP.... does anyone have any suggestions of decent flying clubs/aircraft rental around these areas? I'd also be looking for 2 hours with an instructor..

Any suggestions, advice would be much appreciated.

GAZ45

sammypilot
22nd May 2011, 18:43
Can't help you with flying clubs in that area. However if you have done all your flying in the US then I think you may be a little optimistic in believing that 2 hours will be enough to get used to flying in the UK. Firstly the radio is different not to mention the weather. The airspace where you are proposing to fly is some of the most difficult in the UK situated near to both the Bristol and Cardiff Zones. Finally you will find the navigation in the UK a whole different ball game to the States.

GAZ45
22nd May 2011, 19:14
Thanks for answering none of my above questions.

sammypilot
22nd May 2011, 19:42
Always pleased tohelp even if it is not welcome.

jonwilson
22nd May 2011, 19:50
Not one for advertising fixed wing because I am a rotary jock but call Debra at Bristol and Wessex flying club at Bristol Airport. She is very helpful and will answer your questions.

Good luck.

charliegolf
22nd May 2011, 19:51
Sammy, flying around S.Wales is about as easy as it gets.

Gaz, don't know the score at Cardiff at the mo- if ok, just get checked out, and do a few fly outs to Swansea and Haverfordwest. Below about 7000 feet it's (I think) class g airspace.

If no go at Cardiff, do the same from Swansea using Cardiff as the 'big airport' experience.

If the latter, I might cost-share, as long as you don't kill me!:ok:

CG

Black Prince
24th May 2011, 07:52
Hi GAZ45.

'Aeros' has now been operating at Cardiff for nearly a year now and can provide you with all of your requirements. (I have no affiliation with them by the way!) If you pm me I can recommend an Instructor or will be very happy to give you any further advice.

Best wishes,
BP.

englishal
24th May 2011, 08:35
The airspace where you are proposing to fly is some of the most difficult in the UK situated near to both the Bristol and Cardiff Zones
Ha ha !!! You should try LA then !

(PS Cardiff and Bristol is very simple)...

stevelup
24th May 2011, 10:53
The airspace where you are proposing to fly is some of the most difficult in the UK situated near to both the Bristol and Cardiff Zones.

The airspace around Cardiff and Bristol is a piece of cake.