PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Dash-8 pilots...

NorthernSky
14th May 2001, 20:08
Had a look at the Dash-8-300 flight deck recently, and it looked different to other turbo-props in a number of ways, so can anyone answer:

Why does there seem to be so little in the overhead panel?

Why the odd glareshield arrangement and is it OK to work with?

Is there an opening flight deck window?

How does the impressive little annunciator panel work - is it part of a good alerting system (one with T/O inhibit etc)?

The yokes looked rather large - is the control force OK and how is the harmonisation?

I only had a moment to look in it, but hope some kind soul will answer.....

Finally, do you enjoy flying/operating it?

------------------
'Brighten my Northern Sky' Nick Drake R.I.P.

Capt Claret
15th May 2001, 03:32
Northern Sky,

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Why does there seem to be so little in the overhead panel?</font>

Well designed, and doesn't need anything else.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Why the odd glareshield arrangement and is it OK to work with?</font>

Not sure what you mean about odd, suffice to say I found no trouble operating with it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Is there an opening flight deck window?</font>

No opening flight deck window, one of the few oversights in the design, IMHO.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">How does the impressive little annunciator panel work - is it part of a good alerting system (one with T/O inhibit etc)?</font>

If you're referring to the Caution/Warning panel just below the magnetic compass, and if it's a post 90 interior, then it works a treat. Red warnings on the bottom row, amber for all the rest. Red lights a flashing Master Warning annunciator (push to reset), amber lights a flashing Master Caution, basically these are bot attention getters.

No Take off inhibit.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The yokes looked rather large - is the control force OK and how is the harmonisation?</font>

Apart from rotate, when there is a perceptible lag in response, which usually causes pilots new to the type to over rotate, it handles very well, is very stable, and a pleasure to fly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Finally, do you enjoy flying/operating it?</font>

I did for 5 years, by far the most pleasurable aircraft I've flown to date. Does everything it does well, manuals are well written, systems not too complicated.

------------------
bottums up !

[This message has been edited by Capt Claret (edited 14 May 2001).]

NorthernSky
17th May 2001, 11:40
Thank you, Claret!

I wonder, then, whether a lot of processes which require overhead panel actions are automated, eg. selection of electric power sources from engine generators to GPU, or selection of anti/de-icing, or de-selection of a failed system (hydraulic pump or whatever)? How does the aircraft deal with these?

------------------
'Brighten my Northern Sky' Nick Drake R.I.P.

Capt Claret
17th May 2001, 13:44
Engines can be started from ship's battery or external DC. If external DC, it must be manually selected on, from the electrical panel above the skipper's head.

Each engine drives a DC generator via an accessory gearbox and a variable frequency AC generator, via the prop reduction gearbox. All 4 generators are normally left on, and GCUs (generator control units) control the voltage as well as connection to the appropriate bus.

Any two generators can fail without needing to load shed. Bus switching is automatic.

Anti icing and de icing as mostly controlled from the ice prot panel, once again over the skipper's head, with engine igniters in the middle of the overhead panel and intake anti ice, on the left of the centre instrument panel.

For the life of me I can't remember if the hyd system can be depresurised manually or not.

Fancy spelling ice - ise :rolleyes:
------------------
bottums up !

[This message has been edited by Capt Claret (edited 18 May 2001).]

MikeSamuel
17th May 2001, 22:04
Nice Info, thanks...

Just wondering...Am I alone in aiming my career at flying something like Dash 8's - rather then jets. I think they look much more fun, and that they would be more involvement from the pilot etc...Anyone else prfer to be flying these rather than a 737 or similar?

Regards

Mike

Blended-winglets
18th May 2001, 00:14
yep I fly the dash-8 and totally love it! I think when I eventually go on to the big jets they wont be as much fun!

yowie
18th May 2001, 18:04
Goober,
Why dont you tell them about the fire suppression system and how it operates,and also the effects of zero thrust to a new F/O.Youre a legend!

------------------
the force,it really sucks