PDA

View Full Version : RJ Guys at EK

NeilPeart
20th May 2011, 19:29
Any idea when EK is gonna hire RJ guys again? I know they won't take you if you RJ weighs less than 30 tons. Anyone know? I have a ton of EMB-145 time and would like to come join up.

Aussie
20th May 2011, 21:39
No one knows, and they keep saying they are desperate, but clearly they are not. Guys with CRJ 200 time dont count but CRJ 700 does,..

Heard the HR lady at Roadshow last yr said by jan this yr it could be gone... its may :)

fatbus
20th May 2011, 22:03
AAR says just keep running road shows everywhere, one of the latest is to Athens targeting 320/73ng or bigger. They seem to be able to just keep ahead of the next course.A couple of weeks ago only 13 out 16 showed up for interview and only 4 made it through the sim. Recruitment pilots are TRE's and are doing their best to maintain some sort of standard

InnocentBystander
21st May 2011, 05:14
You're fine with RJ time as long as you have a few CRJ-700 hours in there. They no longer require you to have all the 2000 hrs in >30 tons, just some.

Apply and see.

Aussie
21st May 2011, 20:51
Nuh, they actually want it in 30T plus....

Willie Everlearn
22nd May 2011, 01:47
Is a vectored ILS approach easier or more difficult to fly in an Emirates aeroplane compared to a regional jet?

AP engaged, Heading knob rolled left or right as instructed by ATC, Approach mode armed at the appropriate time. There's a challenge!!!

I have to say, for an airline (apparently) struggling to find crew (as numerous PPRuNe posters point out on a daily basis) it seems odd to me why any RJ pilot, regardless of Series, wouldn't be a prime target for EK recruiting?

I had no idea it was as simple as MTOW separating the MEN from the boys. Very interesting. All along it sounded like high altitude/jet time was paramount in a candidates CV. Silly me, what was I thinking?

I'll never learn.

Willie :ok:

donpizmeov
22nd May 2011, 03:06
Willie,

The 30t rule was introduced to exclude -200 drivers some time ago as it was deemed they were having difficultly with transition courses onto the Boeing and Bus. More a case of playing the man and not the ball, just like most rules made over here. So those prevented from joining because of this can thank a group of 200 drivers that joined 3 to 4 years ago.
Not the first time this has happened, as the 55t rule was originally made to prevent 146 and 732 drivers from accelerated commands when they were happening thick and fast. No reason for that either, so see that man vs ball comment again.

The Don

Instant Hooligan
22nd May 2011, 03:53
Also don't forget if you do get here you'll also be waiting longer for that command slot because of the 55T rule for upgrade.
I guess they won't mention that on the roadshow. Don is right, they play the man not the ball or is it fix the blame not the problem. I'm confused.

I.H

InnocentBystander
22nd May 2011, 19:34
I had no idea it was as simple as MTOW separating the MEN from the boys. Very interesting. All along it sounded like high altitude/jet time was paramount in a candidates CV. Silly me, what was I thinking?

Being content with stuff like this is one of the pre-requisites to "making it" at Emirates. If you get all worked up about these things and join Emirates anyways, you'll end up whining every day in pprune. :}

Willie Everlearn
23rd May 2011, 03:01
Some will never be satisfied sitting in the RHS no matter how long the term and no matter what the age. Tell any pilot "about two years to command" and like your 2 year old, he/she will hold you to it.

You'd think most who've spent any length of time in aviation who've seen carriers come and go, economies rise and fall, lack the intelligence to understand AND accept that today's possibilities could well be tomorrow's disappointments.

Not if you read the pages on PPRuNe with any regularity.

Bystander...
If I understood you correctly I'd like to make the following comments.

MTOW has little to do with making it or not making at EK or any other airlilne. I went from 12,500 lbs to 363,500 lbs and I am anything but exceptional.

I believe you create your pilot culture, you mold your new joiners into the pilot you want, and you constantly motivate, update and improve those pilots throughout their careers. Unfortunately, pilot egos being what they are, quite often gets in the way, resulting in many airline training departments "eating their young". That's a whole other discussion.
I wouldn't know the training organization at EK or how it works, but I'd suggest with that in mind, any training organization firstly separate Checking and Training then secondly, keep line Captains out of the training department unless they ARE teachers. In fact, I'd be bold enough to suggest Captains and F/Os who are qualified to teach be appointed to training positions based primarily on their ability to teach (which is the transfer of learning) and NOT based on rank.

We've both had sim instructors who couldn't teach and/or couldn't accept the fact they're wrong or had passed along b.s. or inaccurate information. When you end up with one who effectively teaches you something, helps you improve, and is humble enough to admit a mistake or gratiously goes away to get you the information you requested during a sim session, you'll know the difference.

One final comment on this, Trainers aren't checkers and Checkers aren't trainers. IMHO the two are separate and airlines who don't respect that delineation are making a serious mistake.

I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion.

Willie :ok:

Instant Hooligan
23rd May 2011, 03:25
Willie,
Let me clarify my point about delayed upgrade. Once you get here you will be BYPASSED for upgrade in favour of those junior who have time above 55T until you reach 4000 hours of essentially EK time.
Doesn't matter about where or how they got time above 55T, right or left seat you will be bypassed. Many of the bypassed here have thousands of hours jet PIC already.
It's not a sense of entitlement it a sense of betrayal for most in the situation now as the rules on this were changed after they got here and have no basis in actual ability to pass the course just weight/hours.

and I know, should have expected no different from EK.

On a different note your comments on the separation of training and checking are spot on.

Regards
IH

flamingmoe
23rd May 2011, 06:11
Please don't shoot the messenger here, but I heard that EK no longer require a resignation from your previous employer? So essentially someone could go on long term LWOP?

Just third hand info, thought it worthy of clarification.

InnocentBystander
23rd May 2011, 08:37
MTOW has little to do with making it or not making at EK or any other airlilne. I went from 12,500 lbs to 363,500 lbs and I am anything but exceptional.

Absolutely.

There is just nothing you can do about it. Same thing with the cut of overtime. It was given with some BS reasoning about how the nature of our flying has changed bla bla. It would've been more honest if they would've just said that it's a pay cut because of bad times/high fuel prices/whatever.

EK Management will change the rules as they go along and not always will there be a good reason for it. It's just that when you accept that fact and that you can't do a damn thing about it, that you'll be much happier here.

I agree with your remarks regarding training, although things are now much improved compared to before MM. I give him a lot of credit for that.

ekpilot
23rd May 2011, 13:59
Willie
Come and try for yourself and then you tell us.

Willie Everlearn
23rd May 2011, 14:53
Before I begin, I accept that I'm not in a position to tell EK what to do or how to do it, nor would I presume myself qualified to do so. I only have my own experience based ideas. This thread seemed the likely place to share an opinion.

For many months now, what most of us read on this side of the fence, posted by presumably frustrated EK crews, (and some are very blunt in describing what it's like to work there) is all or very negative in content.
Why would anyone want to join EK in such a state of misery?

Probably, much of what is read, and it doesn't sound to me like things are improving in EK, contributes to many deciding to give EK a miss. (I'm too old and besides, they're looking for talented pilots). Which I believe is a sad state of affairs as on the outside it seems like an amazing place to live, work and play. But, we all know images can be deceiving.

If, in this day and age, any airline knowing full well the pilot pool is drying up at an alarming rate, it isn't reshaping and refining criteria for new hires doesn't or isn't keeping pace or at least taking this into account, disaster looms.

Why do, not the professional line pilots out here, but the HR departments and DFOs from company to company (not just EK) insist on 'game' playing to recruit talent? Stupidity like that drives MPL and other off-the-wall solutions to diminish the impact on the evaporating pilot supply. When you look at the numerous companies out there who's HR department has become an entity unto itself and let's be honest, out-of-control, it doesn't surprise me.

EK will undoubtedly do what it needs to do and that includes passing over people for upgrade and recruiting based on MTOW.
Honestly? I don't see that as an effective way to boost morale.

I get it.
Willie :confused: