PDA

View Full Version : Coping with earlies

Mungo Man
20th May 2011, 11:07
I have done some searching but couldn't find a thread that answered my questions.

I sometimes find a run of early shifts (5am starts / 4am alarm) causes me some significant issues that affect my home life.

Generally, I find it difficult to shift my sleep sufficiently that I can achieve 7 hours sleep before my first early shift after days off. However, I normally find that after finishing that first early shift I feel quite bright and positive and can easily stay awake all day and then go to sleep easily at about 9pm.

On returning home from successive early shifts I find myself increasingly groggy/tired/headachey/grumpy. The symptoms don't tend to appear until I arrive back home and relax. Even though I might stabilise into a pattern of 7 hours sleep after 2 or 3 earlies I seem to get more and more tired, and with tiredness I get irritable and short tempered!

So how can I improve this situation? I'd just like to add that while I'm at work I don't find any difficulty in staying alert and cheerful even if I only had a few hours sleep. The fug seems to hit me like a ton of bricks just as I park the car at home and sit down.

cavortingcheetah
20th May 2011, 11:32
T'was ever thus and there is no cure other than perhaps to go to long haul.
You could buy a dog and kick that instead of the wife and children?

Mungo Man
20th May 2011, 14:59
What a realist cavortingcheetah! Isn't long haul worse, only less frequent, if you see what I mean>

cavortingcheetah
20th May 2011, 15:12
It seems to me that it's most long haul pilots whose wives kick them - usually out.