PDA

View Full Version : Faa se add on

baobab72
19th May 2011, 20:56
Dear All
I have an FAA ATPL and a COMM MEL.
To obtain an FAA SE Add On, what should i do? How amny hours should I fly? Is there a minimum?
Many Thanks

Baobab72

jetopa
22nd May 2011, 18:38
I have an FAA ATPL and a COMM MEL

What license do you exactly hold? It is highly unlikely that you have both a Commercial Pilot License and and an Airline Transport License with multi-engine land category ratings at the same time.

galaxy flyer
22nd May 2011, 23:42
You probably have an Airline Transport Pilot certificate, Airplane Multi Engine Land (AMEL, in FAA speak) and want to add "Single Engine Land" to it. Most likely, you will then have "Commercial Privileges ASEL", not much reason to take an ATP single engine exam.

You will need to fly enough to master the Practical Test Guide for a Commercial Pilot maneuvers, all visual ones, like Lazy 8's, Chandelles, Stall series, etc. If you just want Private Pilot privileges, you could simplify the check even more. Not much flying, maybe 10 hours, if you are familiar with light planes.

GF

Rotorhead1026
23rd May 2011, 10:29
You probably have an Airline Transport Pilot certificate, Airplane Multi Engine Land (AMEL, in FAA speak) and want to add "Single Engine Land" to it. Most likely, you will then have "Commercial Privileges ASEL"

Is there a minimum?

In the (supposed) case here it's a "class add-on" and there's no minimum training requirement, although you must meet the overall experience requirements (you probably do, since you hold an ATP MEL). There's a three hour training requirement in preparation for the checkride. I also note that some of the cross-country and solo requirements seem to be class-specific now, so you might need to do a little more flying than expected.

Galaxy is right in that there's no real reason for an ATP sel, but if you're fairly current on instruments it's not a difficult task.

KanzaKS
26th May 2011, 19:58
I would caution anyone who has flown primarily IFR in a multi-place heavy aircraft to take this checkride seriously. Obviously, if you have no ASEL privileges, you have insufficient familiarity with light GA. The Practical Test Standards require a significant number of normal/expected tasks like a preflight, takeoff and landing but also some "Operations" not common to heavy A/C like Eights-on-Pylons, Power Off 180 Acccuracy Landings and Chandelles. This is NOT a common checkride for most CFIs. The result is usually much wasted time preparing for Slow-Flight/Stalls (which are not tested) and insufficient time on ground reference maneuvers. See FAA-S-8081-12B and find a CFI with more than just experience in primary students.

MO

Tinstaafl
26th May 2011, 20:13
Do it as an ATP-ASEL add on & avoid the CPL manouvres. You've already done an ATP test once so you know the sort of things that are required. Do as I did & do it in an amphibian and get both SEL & SES at the same time.