PDA

View Full Version : 226 (Jaguar) OCU

Lightning Mate
19th May 2011, 14:42
Is there anyone out there who was on the staff at Lossiemouth 1981 to 1985?

sharpend
19th May 2011, 16:29
Not me, but I was staff 1974- 77 before going to 6 Sqn 77- 80, then refresher stud in 1983

Maxibon
19th May 2011, 16:57
I'm in contact with Tim Southam. PM me and I'll forward any message.

newt
19th May 2011, 17:38
Lm Watch the China Alpha!!:ok:

Skeleton
19th May 2011, 19:18
I was behind the desk, Does that count? :)

Brian 48nav
19th May 2011, 19:53
I was at Stornoway ATC and had you b*****s disturbing my sleep, and the DT crossword,asking for self-positioned ILSs from the Butt of Lewis - does that count?
Father of future Jag- Mate! BW

Lightning Mate
20th May 2011, 08:41
sharpend & Skeleton,

PMs await. :)

Wasser
20th May 2011, 08:57
I was on the line in 85-86.

Having opted for "central England", the drafters gave me my negative choice posting from Laarbruch.

Oh how we laughed at that one!

BBadanov
20th May 2011, 10:13
"Is there anyone out there who was on the staff at Lossiemouth 1981 to 1985? "

Someone on this site has referred to DMS.
Others would be froggy, dacre, clements, earp...

Lightning Mate
20th May 2011, 10:43

I think that was me.

I'm still in contact with Phil Dacre and am trying to track down others.

Hello Newt - smoke off go. :ok:

Skeleton
20th May 2011, 14:24
Others would be froggy, dacre, clements, earp...

Blimey now u are taking me back, If froggy brings me a flying programme im off!! :)

Gericault
20th May 2011, 15:01
I was a stude there in early 85 - best course I'd ever done in my life. Still remamber vividly the absolute fear of flying my first solo just hanging on to the back of the fin and being reluctant to let Lochindorb out of my sight! I recall seriously questioning Duck's sanity clearing me solo. Phil's moose calls, total plus and chips, happy days.:)

kemblejet01
20th May 2011, 16:32
Someone turn back the clock - great times!

Wholigan
20th May 2011, 16:49
Sorry mate, left there in Feb 80.

I seem to think that Bert Loveday, Bobby Mason, Ducky Drake, Lumpy Latton, Tom Henry (Canadian exchange), Nigel Huckins, Nick Rusling, amongst others may still have been there during the time you're interested in.

Most importantly though the legs of Pamelamelamela were still in Air Traffic! :E

I can contact some of those.

Wholigan
20th May 2011, 16:53
Oooops - just been reminded of a particular sortie where the RT went something like:

"Red"

"2"

"3"

"4"

"Lossie Red airborne"

"Red Lossie loud and clear"

"You've still got a lovely bum!"

(In Air Traffic, lady on approach passes headset to Pamelamelamela and says "I think this is for you!")

20th May 2011, 16:59
Earp was a stude just after me in '83.

Chunky sent me solo, flew my first IF trip with Sir Jock. Learning 4-ship arrow around the hills between the snow showers with LM was great fun!

Skeleton
20th May 2011, 17:11
I remember sitting behind CT one day, and on landing the tower screaming "NO CHUTE NO CHUTE!

I remember CT coolly replied (With the nose still in the air) "Correct - Thats why the nose is up and why the man in the back, said no chute on finals" !!

I chuckled all the way back to the line.

Happy days - As has been said, can we turn the clock back please?

jindabyne
20th May 2011, 17:15
Milk anyone?

Rossian
20th May 2011, 21:20
......as a non pilot, former Nimrod mate who went for a ride, with Mr Lumsden in the front seat (and he insisted I flew it) and had a wonderful afternoon rushing around all over the Highlands.
One of the instructors Smiffy? lived in the quarter behind me at KSS (Lossie staish said "yes you can have a flight but NOT with Smiffy!!")
Who was the Dutch former F5 display pilot (I watched him lift his stude off the floor and bang his head against the crew room wall, clearly a believer in physical violence as a means of instruction.)
It was a wonderful couple of days for which I am still truly grateful 30 years down the track.
It was almost bettered by my ride with a large red haired flight commander on 12 who took me out for a run around in a Bucc.

The Ancient Mariner

BBadanov
20th May 2011, 21:32
"...a large red haired flight commander on 12.." that would be Chubakka's twin brother, CC.

How about the USAF exchanges over that time, "Spanky" and "Smear". lol

And Jindy, I can assure you that Spanky did not drink milk - when he was away from home, that is! A memorable welcome at St Dizier and night in Paris attests to that. :=

21st May 2011, 11:03
was away from home, that is! A memorable welcome at St Dizier and night in Paris attests to that.

Was that the same weekend that the P&O ferry rolled over? Most of us went to see the French beat Scotland at rugby - when we got back to the jets on Monday morning the score was stencil on the noses of all four jets (24-22 or similar IIRC)

BBadanov
21st May 2011, 11:18
Was that the same weekend that the P&O ferry rolled over? Most of us went to see the French beat Scotland at rugby - when we got back to the jets on Monday morning the score was stencil on the noses of all four jets (24-22 or similar IIRC)

Correcto - that was the weekend. The jets were all stencilled on the nose with: France 28, Ecosse 22.
Match was 7 March 1987.

Do you remember Spanky on the train into Paris to the French officers' Club? Then a party on the Sunday night in one of the French guy's country house - beautiful women, gee I wish I could have spoken French.

onlyme
21st May 2011, 17:46
Ah yes, Chunky sent me solo as well, and caused me several hangovers many years later. Happy days.

Wander00
21st May 2011, 19:14
I recall an IOT student called K****t, arranged for his brother to bring his Jaguar to Salibury Plain at the end of an exercise at I think Camp 2. We are all on the hill above a battalion DZ when this Jaguar comes smoking down the DZ and up over the hill at the end at something like 50ft. "Did you see that?" says the Wing Commander Cadets. What was that says DDIOT (Bobbie Robson - fantastic DDIOT)

Lightning Mate
22nd May 2011, 12:00
Milk anyone?

....................so don't you enjoy pussies...........???

Wensleydale
23rd May 2011, 07:28
Milk anyone?

Back in the early 80s, the banter from the operational Sqns at Lossie against the Jaguars (sheep in wolf's clothing etc) had reached such a pitch that the Stn Cdr wrote to the Sqn Commanders askng to tone it down a bit. Next morning a saucer of milk appeared under the nose of each Jaguar on the line.

jindabyne
23rd May 2011, 10:24
....................so don't you enjoy pussies...........???
21st May 2011 20:14

I wish -- sadly these days 'tis not possible :{

kemblejet01
26th May 2011, 18:36
Those really were the days:

Panning for gold
Iddy Hill's wonky eye alcohol thermometer
Duk foiled into thinking Bells was a single malt
Getting a soaking in the Shakleton starting game
Bill (dont call me Bertie) Aspinall's radio controlled beach ball
The yank's sports car with a stick top for a gear stick
Falling off the mess roof and surviving!
The bothy bar
Total plus & Chips from Dougies
Doctoring Froggies respirator on Taceval
Putting the extra door on the Karsy in the blackout

and most of all, being a 22 yo Jaguar pilot privileged to be there.

Good wishes everyone

KMB01

Skeleton
9th Jan 2012, 07:55
LOL Kemble. Had forgotten.

You hiding behind bertie at medium level, and being told off for doing so!!! I then got told off for laughing!

Turn about port GO!!

Happy days

The Blue Parrot
9th Jan 2012, 14:54
Even in the mid-nineties when the Sqn Boss tried to remove all reference to 226 OCU from the Ground Equipment, those dyed in the wool devotees on the Sqn would refer to 16(R) as the Sqn formally known as 226 OCU! Happy days even then Kemble. :cool:

9th Jan 2012, 16:41
KMB01:

You were getting on a bit! I was still only 21 when I got to Bruggen :eek:

Bbadanov:

I reckon I flew you home from that St Dizier trip then! (which was my penultimate trip on the jet before I was posted to the Tonka - almost my last trip on the jet and my first with a Nav in the boot, always assuming I've id'd you correctly!)

BBadanov
9th Jan 2012, 20:21
I reckon I flew you home from that St Dizier trip then!

60024, may have been. Had flown over with OC226. The RTB was XX838 9 MAR 87, 1.40 - My last Jag trip before I left at 38/16. :ok:

Skeleton
10th Jan 2012, 11:18
The best to me was when the Harriers were over from germany, 1981 or 1982.

"Is that your aircraft on my line"

"Yes were still planning"

"Well shift them!! I need to get mine out"

Harrier mate slammed door and rang germany.

I went to stand in office for yet another telling off.

Idy did weather check and we launched. The Harriers went home complaining about Tain and FRA's.

Capt Scribble
11th Jan 2012, 17:44
Jo Soolsma, was he the one with those films (from Holland)! Martin Mahony now Chief Trainer with Emirates after MYT.TCX.

11th Jan 2012, 21:11
Bbadanov:
<Had flown over with OC226>

Yep, and the 'about to be a Flt Cdr' was in my boot on the outbound and swapped with you so he could do his back seat check with the Boss on the way home. Happy days!

Mach Two
11th Jan 2012, 21:27
Oh, guys. What can I say. Personal opinion only, but I always took my hat off to you all. You were always my favourite of all the bomber pukes.

Which one of you was that I was doing 1v1 DACT against in an F4 over moon country when you departed your jet? Watching you spin I asked if you wanted to knock it off and you replied, "Nope, just completing my spin recovery drill". And then carried on with the fight. Deepest respect!

BBadanov
12th Jan 2012, 02:34
60024: Happy days!
60024, Happy days indeed.

A few days before that Paris weekend, I was in the 237 crewroom and answered the phone. It was Spanky, who asked "Want to come over to Paris for the weekend?"

As OC 237 was in the crewroom, I asked "Hey boss, can I go with 226 to Paris for the weekend?". OC237 (the man with "a passion for flying") snapped back: "No, of course you can't!!".

I replied to Spanky: "Sure mate, Boss says it's ok!"

What a life...tell 'em today, and they won't believe it! :ok:

RodfjH
16th Jan 2012, 10:54
Left the staff in '79 but was a frequent visitor until '82 as Staneval Bruggen.

BOAC
16th Jan 2012, 11:24
Deepest respect! - shades of 'Pierre zee famooose French Fighter pilot?'

RodfjH - 'Wonderbeer' mean anything to you?

chanter
21st Jan 2012, 08:33
Was there on the line when Sir Jock got his fingers trapped by the stude closing the front canopy as he was getting settled in the back.:eek:

davedrake
25th Jan 2012, 09:28
I left in Jan -79 but returning from Llarbruch on many occasions. Dinning with Benbow he informed me that "spanner face" had married a nav from Kinloss. I was at a loss as to who he was refering to. It was Pamela! When asked why he called her that, his reply was "because every time he saw her, his nuts tightened"!