PDA

View Full Version : RAAF PC/9 Crash East Sale

Slezy9
18th May 2011, 08:15
Both pilots ejected and ok.

RAAF plane crashes at Sale (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/raaf-plane-crashes-at-sale-20110518-1esw1.html)

oldpinger
18th May 2011, 09:22
Name with luck- how about wait for the investigation before we expect them to all "fall out of the sky" :rolleyes:
Another couple of Martin Baker ties and members of the silkworm club!

Attitude!
18th May 2011, 09:24
Interesting that you are so quick to put the PC9 in the "too old" category, and claim that it's fate is "sealed" by this one accident.

Needless to say, the only information currently available is that the engine "failed", in itself a rare occasion for the PT6A. However, stuff happens, and the guys did the safest thing probably, and that was to eject. I imagine that if they had been near a suitable landing site that they would probably have attempted a forced landing as the PC9 is a perfectly safe aircraft in which to attempt such a manoeuvre. However, there may have been a fire or some other mitigating circumstance that dictated the ejection.

Either way, its too early to start making sweeping statements about the PC9 possibly falling short in reliability, safety or even longevity.

I agree though, that the PC21 is an eminently suitable replacement, and it seems that Pilatus has got this one right. I have had the privilege of seeing them up close and personal at Stans in Switzerland where they are being built, and I am very impressed.

Of course, I'm not in the RAAF or involved in procurement, so my views amount to nothing in the overall scheme of things.

Good to see the guys got out ok.

Captain Sand Dune
18th May 2011, 09:33
I've got a 16 year old that knows everything too................:hmm:

layman
18th May 2011, 09:38
"Interesting that you are so quick to put the PC9 in the "too old" category, and claim that it's fate is "sealed" by this one accident."

I seem to recall that a few months back all PC9s were grounded due to an engine failure (during taxi?).

Wondering if this is related or a totally separate issue?

layman

NicKM91
18th May 2011, 09:48
Like others have said I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the PC-9. The most important thing is the people on board. An aircraft can be replaced, the two highly knowledgeable and competent guys riding in it can not. Hopefully the ejection won't prevent them getting back into the air in the future.

The two aircrew involved in today’s PC-9/A accident have been assessed at hospital to be in a satisfactory condition. The aircrew will be kept overnight at hospital for X-rays and precautionary observation.

oldpinger
18th May 2011, 09:51
CSD so it wasn't you then??? :E

flighthappens
18th May 2011, 09:57
layman, that wasn't a PC9 that you are talking about (with uncommanded engine shutdown) so I would say a totally separate issue

Slezy9
18th May 2011, 10:07
layman, that wasn't a PC9 that you are talking about (with uncommanded engine shutdown) so I would say a totally separate issue

The incident in Feb was a PC/9 in Pearce. It threw a compressor blade as the crew powered up on the RWY for T/O.

flighthappens
18th May 2011, 10:14
ahhh yes, i seem to be getting my incidents confused... I thought he was talking about this...

Fighter training planes grounded (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/fighter-training-planes-grounded-20101013-16jrn.html)

Attitude!
18th May 2011, 10:17
Of course there was also the little incident years ago when Sharpie pulled it back to ICO in the circuit and the poor guy in front couldn't get it restarted in time. THAT's definitely not the aeroplane's fault!

Captain Sand Dune
18th May 2011, 21:11
CSD so it wasn't you then???
Moi? Heaven forbid!
They don't trust me with anything as complex as a PC9 nowadays!

oldpinger
19th May 2011, 08:16
CSD- Thought i caught a glimpse of your distinctive features on the news story, must have been some other good looking rooster!

Crew names been released yet?

Slezy9
19th May 2011, 08:58
Names and photos in the article.

Plane crash grounds RAAF Roulettes (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/plane-crash-grounds-raaf-roulettes-20110519-1euko.html)