PDA

View Full Version : EK Turboprop Time

FlyPurdue
17th May 2011, 15:54
Hi all,

I am a recent University graduate and working for a US Regional Airline flying a turboprop > 20t. I am interested in eventually joining Emirates. I have read a lot of the negativity on this board toward Emirates, however it does not compare to the current state of US commercial aviation. In the US, with the exceptions of FedEx, and Southwest Airlines, there is no bright future for an aviator. I studied abroad in the UAE my third year at uni, and really fell in love the people, the architecture, and the culture, and want to eventually move there. My problem is do I stay at my current airline, in hopes of Emirates removes the jet requirement, or do I make an interim step to a commuter airline with modern jet equipment?

Thanks for all your input!

Cheers!

-FlyPurdue

Wizofoz
17th May 2011, 16:12
Hi Purdue,

Very hard to make concrete predictions.

Simply put, EK won't lower it's requirements unless it has trouble getting sufficient applicants with the current requirements. That may well happen, but it has a lot to do with the global economy and industry so it's kinda a lottery.

Getting Jet time is always a plus in this industry, so I'd be looking in that direction whether or not it is to qualify for EK.

FrankR
17th May 2011, 19:53
I agree with "wizfoz".

It's almost always a mistake to chase any airlines hiring requirements. Instead, look for the best career move you can make at this moment.
1. Update your resume the day you get hired, and look for the next step in your career progression.
2. Don't move laterally. Why quit a Hawker job for a Beechjet job, or quit your freight job in Dubai for one in Chennai?
3. Don't go backwards. I just watched two guys quit jobs as FO's in Lear 60's to become PIC's in a Navajo! As someone who has hired quite a few pilots, I think young pilots place too much emphisis on "command".
4. Stay in the main stream. Look for a job with a regional flying jets. Airlines want to see that you can fit into the airline world. -and they hate the maverick screwballs from the single airplane operations.

<rant on>
Oh, accept and be thankful for what you have! There are loads of cry baby pilots all over the world who think that they should be paid and treated like a 30 year veteran of Delta or AA. If you like it, stay, if something better comes along, take it. Until then, smile and shut yur yap, or quit!
<rant off>

FR

Wear the Fox Hat
17th May 2011, 20:45
Sittingidly,

Quite simple really, you are possibly the most opinionated, rude and ignorant poster on these forums. Ironically you can't even acknowledge the criticism levelled at yourself....ummmm errrr ahhhh you're just irritating and provide no constructive input or opinion to anything! Why bother, is your life that wasted?

FlyPurdue
17th May 2011, 20:47
Thanks for the input. I feel very lucky and really enjoy my current job. The Dash is a blast to fly and a great step up from my instructing position. In the states to move to a 'major carrier' 1000 turbine command hours (prop or jet is fine) is required along with a favorable world economy. If chance has me remaining in the states I will absolutely stay at my current carrier as I have a good QOL, nice colleagues, a livable wage, and fun varied flying. I am simply curious on your thoughts of having jet verses propeller experience when exploring other world carriers including Emirates.

-I really did have a great experience in the UAE, I felt very welcome, safe, and enjoyed the lifestyle I had while living their for my spring term-

Cheers.

captkirk3000
18th May 2011, 00:03
Well I think you are on the right track.
I myself started at a turboprop commuter, upgraded only got 750 of my 1000 turbine PIC due to company wide downgrades and reductions. I recently got hire with a B737 charter outfit to gain some good jet time and experience.
Bottom line is "quality time is quality time" so don't chase airlines and there minimums. The Dash 8 is THE BEST turboprop out there to build experience in, wish i did!
Am hoping to get on with 1 of 4 companies here in the US but, I'll definitely still be applying to Emirates. I have 2 friends there and they love it.

Cheers

Hacker15e
18th May 2011, 02:48
In the US, with the exceptions of FedEx, and Southwest Airlines, there is no bright future for an aviator.

Really?

I think this belief shows an incredible bit of short-sightedness. It's vogue to love SWA and FedEx, and the truth is that right now they are the best of the bunch.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what things are like NOW. Nobody knows what's going to be true in 5 or 10 years, much less the 30+ years that you will likely spend as a professional aviator at a major airline. FedEx and SWA could easily be consigned to the dustbin of history, much like the other "greats" that were the only "bright futures" at the time; Braniff, Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, etc.

Look at what was going on in the UAE 30 years ago, and then project that type of enormous sea change 30 years into the future. Emirates may not even exist then.

Not knocking EK by any means, because they currently have a pay/benefits package that can be very attractive depending on what your situation in life is...but I think you should use a little independent thought to re-evaluate your assessment of the future terrain of the US airline industry.

Dashpilot73
18th May 2011, 10:58
I too started my real career on the Dash 8 for PDT. Anyways I live here in the UAE working for one of the carriers here. If you want to come here its simple... find a jet job! No one wants a TP guy anymore. I went thru the same thing in my career and it sucked! So get a jet job and get the time then resubmit to EK. I had 8k hours total time.... 4 years in the left seat and got deined by EK due to the ever important jet experience (which is BS in my opinon).

Good luck

ISU Grad 98 :)

jetzdrvr
18th May 2011, 22:05
I find it amusing that you think only Southwest and FedEx are the only two companies worth working for in the US. UPS, Delta, Jetblue, American, all these are not good enough? Delta and American is set to to have 60% of their pilots retire by 2020. Retirements will start kicking in 2012 with about 400 pilots or so at the majors due for mandatory retirement. It goes up from there. All that info is posted at airlinepilotcentral.com