PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

IrishJason
17th May 2011, 14:36
Well lad's. Just a quick question before I ask the CFI. Is two lesson's a week enough ? Ideally I'd love to have this PPL done this year maybe or even early next year. I'm going down the CPL route and dont want to spend ages doing so, All in all its been great so far but I feel the gap may become a hinderance.

Rod1
17th May 2011, 14:56
Personally, I would go for as many as you can fit in a week. I did part of my PPL, plus all my IMCR and NR intensively and you make much better progress. I had two lessons a day for up to 9 days at a time! Your CFI may not be a big fan as you will probably pass in min hours – about 10 less than average – which is less cash for the school.

Rod1

Dave Gittins
17th May 2011, 15:41
Work on the basis that during lessons you are going forwards and between lessons backwards. The closer the lessons, the less backwards you have to make up in the next one.

(does that make sense ?)

I started lessons determined to get my PPL by 40 and finally got it at 48 :ok:

FleetFlyer
17th May 2011, 15:52
I would echo what the second poster said. I got enough funds together to do as much flying as I could do in the time available. This meant I had at least two lessons a day, occasionally three. I progressed quickly and didn't need to spend time getting back up to speed, re-learning skills I had forgotten between lessons.

If you do go down the intensive route, be mindful of your nutritional needs. Your brain burns a lot of calories learning to fly an aeroplane. Always have a decent breakfast and eat a chocolate bar or something else thats full of sugar immediately before a lesson. You'll find it far easier to retain information that way.

Also, if you decide you need to heed the call of nature, then let your instructor know. Its better to divide an hour's lesson into two halves and sacrifice an extra 10 minutes than lose and entire half hour to the distraction of being really desperate for a wee.

flybymike
17th May 2011, 23:45
I booked two lessons a week and lost 50% due weather. It took me 18 months to get my licence

LeeP-PA28
17th May 2011, 23:45
As above, I was doing 2 to 3 slots a week (1.0 - 1.5hrs usually) and found that contunity helped massivley. Once I got into nav, I was doing 4-5hours a week and I did my full PPL including exams in about 4 months.

Aiming to do 2 -3 hours a week now on rental til I get enough for IMCr and aim to do the same there.

IrishJason
18th May 2011, 14:34
Thank's lads. I'm doing 2 hours a day twice a week, I cant get anymore time than that off work so thats my only issue. I might take a week off maybe and try fly everyday now that the summer is with us. You see its a bit unusual for me as I'm actually doin this with my brother. So we both do it at the same time. I do one stint and he does the other, So we both get our own flight time and then we get a pax in the back also. Very useful for picking up possible missed instruction and extra learning :ok: Oh and the added fun or an extra flight. But alot more paper work for the cfi :p

stevelup
18th May 2011, 14:46
You should be fine.

I did mine in eleven months and that was with predominantly one hour lessons once per week.

ADB25
19th May 2011, 14:05
2 Hours a week. Nice and easy work load!