PDA

View Full Version : Queen's visit to Ireland

KeyPilot
17th May 2011, 12:12
Anyone know why she arrived on a civilian ARJ and not a 32 Sqn BAE 146?

Sgt.Slabber
17th May 2011, 12:55
Anyone know why she arrived on a civilian ARJ and not a 32 Sqn BAE 146?

Maybe Sec State for International Development was using 'em to export another couple of GBP billions worth of "aid" to the dictatorial despots of the world....

handsfree
17th May 2011, 13:00
Perhaps G-RAJJ was a nostalgic look back to the days of Empire.

KeyPilot
17th May 2011, 13:05
Nice observation, handsfree!

But seriously... ?

HighLifelowtime
17th May 2011, 13:15
Bae 146-200 G-RAJJ is an appropriate aircraft to carry The Queen over to "The Auld Sod" in that it was on the Irish Register in a former incarnation as EI-CWD operated by Cityjet

Q-RTF-X
17th May 2011, 13:26
There are so many possible reasons that might have played a part in the final choice/decision, too many perhaps to come to grips with.

Perhaps 32 sqdn might have to start give some frequent flyer points or something similar :hmm:

MidlandDeltic
17th May 2011, 13:35
Two possible reasons I can think of :

1 Cost
2 Maybe it was felt that, given the sensitivities of this visit, a british military a/c landing at an Irish base on a non-emergency basis might have been felt inappropriate.

Contrary to press reports, it is not just a few hotheads who are opposed to this visit, although only those few will take direct action. A large part of the population feel that the country cannot afford the €30m+ this and the O'bama jaunt is costing us, with no real pay back apart from journos hotel bar bills (large though these are likely to be); and a significant number are not overly happy with the situation in the six counties even today although they are opposed to a violent resolution.

My thought was how could a one-aircraft company run by an Indian businessman in Birmingham garner such a high profile contract.....

MD

corsair
17th May 2011, 14:07
Contrary to the previous post which is clearly a personal opinion, most people are not against the visit as several polls have indicated. Just the usual hotheads, diehards and the occasional anti monarchist. But it's still a free country despite their best efforts to end that

I too was puzzled as to why a 32 Squadron aircraft wasn't used. Again contrary to the above post, British military aircraft routinely visit Baldonnel. Indeed the RAF are frequent visitors to airshows. It's can hardly be considered some kind of offence for an RAF aircraft to turn up carrying the Monarch.

Whatever the reason, it's not that.

forget
17th May 2011, 14:16
In April 1995, following amalgamation with The Queens Flight, the Squadron became No. 32 (The Royal) Squadron.

So who's to blame for the national embarrassment of using a commercial 146 on a state visit, and I mean blame. Any ideas?

(PS. And I'll bet the commercial version doesn't have the odd airframe bulge here and there. Was that factored into the decision?)

Madbob
17th May 2011, 14:35
Call me cynical in my old age but I guess that it is all part of a deliberate plan......

The bean-counters are thinking ahead, postulating that if HMQ can find alternative transport then so can her children/children-in-law and other miscellaneous Royal hangers-on! It then follows, what is the justification of having a Royal Sqn? (Look what happened to HMY Britannia)..... No justification means that it can be cut OR become the sole play thing of senior ministers and misc. polititians. :ugh:

The more likely scenario was that all the EW gizmos (chaff/flares) , DASS etc. were not needed and that a bog standard 146 would do well enough. This would allow the the other ac (doing other jobs in AFG or other dangerous places) to do the less glamorous work of 32 Sqn when they are not always in the public's eye. :ok:

MB

birrddog
17th May 2011, 16:37
I must say I appreciate the way the Queen travels.

Wish Barry would take notes!

Tankertrashnav
17th May 2011, 16:45
Nice to see your post Corsair, expressed in the usual good sense that we always expect from your offerings.

MidlandDeltic, we know Ireland is skint so I suppose you have a point on cost grounds, but no other, surely. There comes a time when you have to accept where the situation is, and just move on.

Btw, re O'bama (as referred to in your post), would he be one of the Connemara O'bamas? ;)

birrddog
17th May 2011, 17:19
TT, much speculation about wrt our dearest Barry, so could well be :)

He has more aircraft and personnel for his personal travel alone than the RAF.
(not a dig at the RAF)

Anyhoo, back to HM.

r supwoods
17th May 2011, 19:20
I expect Air Miles Andy is using the family jet ....

stickmonkeytamer
18th May 2011, 14:54
Possible reasons:

She wouldn't remove her hat for a bone dome to arrive by Hawk?

Wills is on his honeymoon and she did not trust anyone else to winch her down onto the tarmac?

forget
18th May 2011, 16:33
No longer red tailed, but very smart. :ok:

RAF - 32 Squadron (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/32squadron.cfm)

Squadgy
18th May 2011, 16:46
I too was expecting to see the red tailed RAF BAE146. But I was also thinking about how easy a target the jet might be. The approach to Casement is a rural part of Dublin. Mts to the south and a lot of green space around. Would have made it easily distingushible... Just a thought...

Not that colour scheme for some years, probably for just that reason.

XR219
19th May 2011, 12:48
The more likely scenario was that all the EW gizmos (chaff/flares) , DASS etc. were not needed and that a bog standard 146 would do well enough.

I would have thought an aircraft landing in the RoI with the Queen aboard would need all the DASS they could bolt onto it? Unless they though a nondescript-looking civvy paint job was enough to give them the slip?

corsair
19th May 2011, 22:03
You really wouldn't need much in aircraft recognition skills to work out that the Queen was due into a quiet military airfield around 12. All the spotters knew and were lurking nearby, cameras and notebooks at the ready. In any case the dissidents don't have missiles, Gadaffi being otherwise occupied.

She wasn't in any danger at all. Even my friend, dissident though he is, (yes I have an terrorist friend, funny country this), thought the protestors were a bunch of thugs. He's old school, after all.

The security is heavy handed and fascistic. There is more good will towards the Queen than ill.

It's been an interesting few days.

Bubblewindow
20th May 2011, 07:28
I too was surprised to see a civvie 146 arrive. I thought they would use a 32 Sqn machine with all the bells and whistles on to put off any unwanted stingers!!
I believe the reason is that the Royals now have to fork out for they're own transport. Interesting to see what Heli turns up this morning to take her to Cashel (She's been travelling by road so far). Maybe they'll use one of our own AW-139's??
Interestingly, David Cameron turned up in a 32Sqn 125 on Wednesday as his privately hired one (G-IFTE) had gone U/S. Must not have been too bad as it came down the glideslope not ten minutes later to relieve the RAF machine!!

With regards to British military aircraft landing at Bal, we often get them. Linton have they're annual piss u......I mean Nav-ex into here and we get the odd Army Gazzelle, RN Seaking, Merlin, Big Yellow Valley bird.

Cheers,
BW

Vortex81
20th May 2011, 16:30
The Queen was actually pissed off at being on civi charter when a 32 Sqn 125 was there. A civi 125 taking the Prime Minister over broke down, so someone quickly got a 32 Sqn 125 ready.

corsair
20th May 2011, 23:20
With regards to British military aircraft landing at Bal, we often get them. Linton have they're annual piss u......I mean Nav-ex into here and we get the odd Army Gazzelle, RN Seaking, Merlin, Big Yellow Valley bird.Cheers,
BW Yes indeed the French and the Americans like to drop in for a piss u......err navex on a regular basis. It makes perfect sense. I remember the Reds dropping into Dublin Airport not so long ago, purely to promote British something or other. But there were as suspicuous number of British accented short haired individuals in Temple bar shortly thereafter. Also in Salthill , Galway every year there were a number of British service personnel helping recruit Irish people into the RAF and RN after an airshow or two via bar of a certain hotel.

Mind you there was a glitch when an RAF Merlin dropped a door onto the assembled masses. Fortunately the closest victim was Polish. I was there at the time, quite a moment as you watch the fluttering object heading towards you one second, away the next.

Another Brit atrocity:cool:

Bubblewindow
21st May 2011, 05:17
Mind you there was a glitch when an RAF Merlin dropped a door onto the assembled masses. Fortunately the closest victim was Polish. I was there at the time, quite a moment as you watch the fluttering object heading towards you one second, away the next.

You can't drop anything in Ireland without hitting a pole!!!
It didn't hit anybody BTW. I followed it from leaving the aircraft to the sand with my camera shooting a burst of of about 30 images. My photos were then used by the IAA air accident investigation branch. The "door" was in fact the emergency escape hatch on the main door that some little scrote had broken the copper wire on (the handle) while it was taking visitors on Static display.
Don't know if the crewman got into **** for not checking???
Nice bunch of lads though Team Merlin!!

BW

GreenKnight121
21st May 2011, 05:42
The security is heavy handed and fascistic. There is more good will towards the Queen than ill.

It only takes 1 nutcase to kill her if the security ISN'T "heavy".

Cows getting bigger
21st May 2011, 07:04
Don't see much of you chaps up North though :( Any chance of y'all using the newly released LFS some more?