PDA

View Full Version : UK Citizen on FAA CPL/ATP

BlipOnTheRadar
5th Apr 2001, 01:22
I've been trying to get a CAA/JAA class 1 for many years now but sadly the CAA will not alter their initial decision. I have investigated and found that it may be possible for me to be issued with FAA class 1 with the visual acuity that I currently have, allowing me to train in the States and hopefully achieving the CPL/IR and eventually the ATP.

My question is; with the FAA licence I would be limited to flying November registered aircraft (wherever they may be), would I need a "green card" to fly for profit in America?

Thanks in advance

B.O.T.R.

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
9th Apr 2001, 06:32
Visual acuity and other related medical deficiencies are normally handled on a case by case basis by the F.A.A. Vision standards are the same as those for the C.A.A. generally though, more lenience towards exemption requests or relatively new medical procedures are permitted here, such as R.K.
To fly for hire in the U.S. you WILL require a green-card normally obtained through sponsorship from a company here ( rare ) or through relative sponsoring such as the case if you had a spouse here or any other relatives. Possibly you may be able to fly for up to 6-12 months for compensation as a means for consolodation of knowledge gained as part of your course of education eg ATPL and this is normally applied for as an extension to your M1 visa and sponsored by your flightschool and is normally granted only for revenue flights conducted by your sponsor ( rare also ).
You could get married, this has been perceived to be the best way to go about getting a green-card.
I got married and applied for my greencard about a year later based on my wife getting hired by Delta ( Obviously we'd stay here )
Even married I hired a lawyer and spent the better part of 4 years and almost 3000 dollars sorting out that mess, so it aint easy, you could apply for the lottery ( greencard lottery an annual random allowance of greencards issued by the US through their respective Embassy.)
Stupid as it sounds, they are liberal enough over here that you could claim to be a Godless Heathen and wish to escape religious persecution and they would probably sort you out along with the rest of the asylum hunters. hah hah, let me know if you need anything else. BULLAWAYO Capt. Horatio Slappy