PDA

View Full Version : ATC fee

Danger Banglington
17th May 2011, 03:55
Is there such a thing as an ATC fee when you hire an aircraft and enter controlled airspace during the flight? makes sense that there would be, but would have though it would be something my taxes pay for. The school i am at gives no break down of the rental costs and fees after a flight. just a lump sum when you return the aircraft. but i overheard the receptionist adding this on to a flight recently.

Steve888
17th May 2011, 04:17
I believe enroute fees are only charged for IFR flights, since they require a greater workload for the controller.

Landing charges depend on the airport, and can usually be obtained either in ERSA, Country Airport guide, or by calling the people responsible for the airport (could be local counsel, private owners etc).

For en route and Airservices Australia charges, see http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/avcharge/price/contract2010/standard_contract_oct2010.pdf

Clare Prop
17th May 2011, 04:19
Fees for airservices are applied if you land at an aerodrome that has ATC. Also, if you go into Class C and conduct an approach where you have to contact the tower you are charged a fee. (not if you only fly through a control area VFR, though I have heard of schools charging for that! :mad: )

The invoice should be itemised on request, if the GST isn't itemised then it isn't a valid tax invoice.

Danger Banglington
17th May 2011, 04:47
ok this was a VFR flight from class G into class C for Harbour scenic 1 flight in Sydney then back into class G. Should there be an ATC fee here?

From reading a few posts on PPRUNE there seems to be a bit of a trend of flight schools to add hidden fees.

KittyKatKaper
17th May 2011, 06:02
... but would have though it would be something my taxes pay for. ha ha ha...
Golly gosh., I needed that chuckle !.
Welcome to the real world of location-specific pricing, also known as 'user-pays'.

For your scenic VFR there should be no charge apart from the ATC terminal (landing) fee at YSBK.

See the link in Steve888's post for the full range of fees.
There's also an online calculator at Airservices Australia - Charges & Costing (http://www.airservices.gov.au/pilotcentre/avcharge/costing_frm.asp)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th May 2011, 14:47
Hey Mr DB,

Re.."The school i am at gives no break down of the rental costs and fees after a flight. just a lump sum when you return the aircraft."

You are entitled to ask for a breakdown of ALL of the costs presented to you BEFORE you pay, if you wish to.

Normal business practice applies, and your Tax Invoice should reflect ALL costs - with the appropriate GST.

I know of many organisations who 'load' the various landing fees by a small percentage to help offset the cost of administration of same, and whilst I appreciate their reasons for doing so, I do like to know just what I am paying for...and how much.

Cheers:ok: