PDA

View Full Version : Shoreham Opening Times

JW411
16th May 2011, 18:33
Is anyone else out there finding the latest situation at Shoreham a bit tedious?

Those of you with a memory might remember that the so-called management decided to give three month's notice to all of the ATC staff back in March in order to save money.

This resulted in a huge outcry and eventually the local council prevailed and decreed that full ATC services would continue.

Of course, in the meantime the ATC staff were looking for other jobs.

They have now reached the point where if one single member of staff goes sick, then chaos results.

Last time I flew, they put out a NOTAM at very short notice stating that;

From 0730 - 0930Z there will only be an A/G service.

Now that sounds good until you read the next line which states that this can only be by PPR and, what is more, PPR cannot be applied for before 1500Z the previous day!

Then, the airfield will be closed from 1130Z - 1200Z and 1400 - 1430Z and 1630 - 1700Z so that the ATC officer can take his statutary break.

Then we revert to A/G only until closing time (whatever that might be) but we still have the same PPR requirements.

Now I am sure that all of you out there read your NOTAMs most assiduously and have absorbed all of the foregoing in an instant.

However, do not think that you have cracked it for the NOTAM changes on a daily basis. In fact, I was told by a reliable source that Friday's opening hours were only NOTAMed on Friday morning at 0800Z!!!!!!!!!!

I never fly from Shoreham at the weekends but I am told that it was bedlam this weekend.

This morning, nothing moved until 1030Z.

A friend of mine called up for taxi the other day to be told that they were in A/G only mode and that everything was PPR only and that they were only accepting one movement per 15 minutes. He asked for PPR but was told that he hadn't applied the previous day. Nothing moved for an hour, PPR or otherwise.

How long can this shambles go on for?

As a postscript; I have just looked at the Shoreham website and I see that they managed 12 arrivals and 11 departures today and it was CAVOK all day. That should pay the bills!

barne_as
16th May 2011, 21:43
I flew at the weekend and was amazed at how dangerous it could have been with numberous people holding whilst the ATC was shut for half an hour, and then when they came back on line, everyone trying to rush to get down and competing for a rejoin.

I understand that controllers need a break but something has to be done.

AdamFrisch
16th May 2011, 23:52
Why can't it simply revert to uncontrolled on the freq like in all other sensible countries? Madness!

IO540
17th May 2011, 10:26
There is a thread on flyer.co.uk also but I don't see that anybody actually knows the background to this.

Fuji Abound
17th May 2011, 11:22
I suspect because it is a condition of the lease viz full AT during published operating hours with AG for resident aircraft at the start and end of the day but not after 9-00 or 19-00 local.

sicobra
25th Jun 2011, 16:44
I was thinking of flying into Shroham next friday(1st july) and stay over for 2 days, can anyone update the latest situation there and is it even worth thinking that far ahead????? I will be working to tight times in and out and don't want to be left sitting there waiting for something to happen. I assume from their website that visiting a/c are restricted to the published opening times unless you want to pay the huge extra fees, cheers, Sicobra:confused:

IO540
25th Jun 2011, 17:07
No issues there.

The website shows the opening hours.

sicobra
25th Jun 2011, 21:06
Thanks 540, weather permitting I will be in friday late afternoon then, :ok:cheers.