PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood festival of speed

PompeyPaul
16th May 2011, 08:13
PA28 landing fees an EYE POPPING £220!

Apparently "Pilot" magazine has some cheaper tickets which I was considering but they are £75 each, so works out even more expensive than the landing fees.

Any other, smaller (cheaper) airfields nearby that could handle movements ?

Also, does anybody know what happens if you get a slot but abandon due wx ?

Fake Sealion
16th May 2011, 10:21
Does the £220 include entrance tickets for the occupants for the event itself?
If it does, its not too bad I suppose.

flybymike
16th May 2011, 11:13
The tickets available through Pilot mag may also be used for entry by car in the (inevitable) event of crap weather.

PompeyPaul
16th May 2011, 13:09
They are quite a good deal really. Tickets are £37 for the event with Pilot offering them @ £75, so your landing fee is just under £40 which is still expensive but a good way to arrive in style :ok:

Flyinganaes
16th May 2011, 15:31
Hi. The landing fees at Goodwood are essentially £55 per seat and the entrance fee to the festival is £53 per adult (Sunday prices). The Pilot offer also includes breakfast, transport to the event and afternoon tea. So not a bad deal really. I've booked 4 seats for me and three mates. Expensive all in but aviation isn't cheap is it? Also, it means we dont have to drive. There's always a risk with the weather but hey, life is risky. Hopefully see some of you there!

vfr-uk
16th May 2011, 17:06
I think Goodwood's an excellent airfield, but despite the fact that it's a great event and a great way to arrive, the landing fee does seem excessive.

The normal PA28 landing fee's about £15, rather than the £220 on event days! Goodwood's 'sell' that it's only £55/seat (and free tea and biscuits) seems a little out there, especially considering my PA28 can't even carry 4 people, and some people may go solo or 2-up, and all the POBs have to buy an event ticket on top of the landing fee too. SUVs driving in don't get charged by the number of seats in the car - everyone that goes just buys a ticket.

A real shame, I'd love to go as I have friends that would like to fly in. It's not that I can't afford it - but this one just has to be ruled out on general principe! Double it or triple it on the event day by all means, but more than 10x the usual?

Hopefully they'll see sense and base it on occupants or a slightly fairer fee in the future, but I imagine there are enough takers even at this amount - especially as it's gone up from £200 last year.

Would be interested to know how many a/c they usually have landing there on an event day?

znww5
16th May 2011, 17:15
Somebody said it last year and it seems appropriate this year too. I'd rather spend my flying budget elsewhere.

Barcli
16th May 2011, 17:16
Presumably you can arrive by road and pay on the day? Ie no need to buy ticket in advance?

flybymike
16th May 2011, 17:20
I think they call it the market economy. If they can sell tickets at that price they will do and should do. It's a business, and it may be that this extra income is what allows them to let people in at 15 quid a shot for the rest of the year.

vfr-uk
16th May 2011, 17:51
I think they call it the market economy. If they can sell tickets at that price they will do and should do.

Used to own my own business, so completely agree flybymike.

That said, they could also call it a rip off :).

I'm pretty frivolous with my spending, so the fact that I was surprised by the fee will probably mean a few others are too.

Best business practice doesn't always mean charging the most you can of course. For example, a 100 quid landing fee might generate more than double the a/c visiting, in which case a lower fee would be better business, plus they would get the extra ticket sales they're missing out on. I'm guessing that they're over-subscrilbed even at these prices?

Maybe someone that's been in the past can talk me into it!!

vfr-uk
16th May 2011, 18:01
Barcli - I believe you need to buy tickets in advance, as it generally sells out. Or at least it has in the past. As I understand it, they refund your landing fee if you get weathered off, so can then drive down.

Some pretty big traffic jams on the roads getting in and out of the event, just to note. Pays to go early.

PompeyPaul
16th May 2011, 18:11
I think Goodwood's an excellent airfield, but despite the fact that it's a great event and a great way to arrive, the landing fee does seem excessive.

The normal PA28 landing fee's about £15, rather than the £220 on event days! Goodwood's 'sell' that it's only £55/seat (and free tea and biscuits) seems a little out there, especially considering my PA28 can't even carry 4 people, and some people may go solo or 2-up, and all the POBs have to buy an event ticket on top of the landing fee too
That's the thing, if you go with the pilot tickets then it works out cheaper because you pay per occupant.

So I'm going to arrive and pay £75 but get the entrance fee, which means that my landing fee is around £40 on the day. Still up substantially from before, but much cheaper than the £220 for a PA28.

That is, of course, if I don't get a nasty surprise and find the Pilot ticket is £75 with a whopping £220 to pay on top! Everybody, so far, has said that's not the way it works though.

vfr-uk
16th May 2011, 18:27
Oh I didn't get that - thanks! I'll get the details from the mag and try and get hold of a couple.

Do you know how much availability there is still on the Flyer offer for Sat/Sun?

Fake Sealion
17th May 2011, 12:49
......I recall last year someone coined the term "Goodwood Festival of Greed".....

Fuji Abound
17th May 2011, 13:18
I went a few years back - was it better value then - I really cant remember.

Was it worth it?

Well I am told the traffic jams are horrendous, all of whcih you miss as you are ferried from Goodwood to the show ground via the back entrance in a mini bus. Very slick, very good.

Goodwood is as always a very friendly and pleasant field with a great flying club.

and the event itself. Well I guess I am a bit of a petrol head, but I have to say it didnt really do it for me. I think you have to be very interested in the cars doing the hill climb. The show ground itself is full of companies selling their auto related products, and a bit of me objects to paying to be sold something, as much as I enjoyed looking. Ah well, worth going the once, but once was enough.

I hope you enjoy.

Mr Grimsdale
17th May 2011, 13:27
I flew in for the Goodwood Revival event in 2004, the landing fees back then were the regular everyday amount. It was only a year or two after that when they increased them... and I haven't flown in to an event since.

You can't purchase tickets for either event on the day, you must pre-order them. I've got no problem with that as it keeps the numbers down (and riff raff out :oh:).

As for the traffic jams, I've heard the stories but have yet to experience any problems. I usually arrive around 8:00 and have yet to find myself stuck in traffic, the same goes for leaving the event.

PompeyPaul
1st Jul 2011, 15:37
Flew in today and thought the whole event was awesome! Pilot area was great, being met by air hostesses with elderflower and mint drinks was pretty fly.

Expensive, but that's aviation. Highly recommended.

silverknapper
1st Jul 2011, 23:30
As I understand it, they refund your landing fee if you get weathered off, so can then drive down.

Not sure about this year but last year they refunded half if you didn't get in. Ridiculous.

Flew in today and it wasn't that busy compared with last year. Maybe tomorrow will be busier. But the whole day is expensive. £6.50 for a burger anyone?! Fries with that? £3.50 more!!

But it's a good day out for any petrol head.

Sir George Cayley
3rd Jul 2011, 20:21
I think Goodwood's pricing policy aims to try and limit numbers at the gate. Imagine what it would be like if everything was a £1 :eek:

SGC

ShyTorque
3rd Jul 2011, 22:00
I think Goodwood's pricing policy aims to try and limit numbers at the gate. Imagine what it would be like if everything was a £1

Yes, then the common riff-raff could afford to go, too. That would never do. :uhoh: