PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool airport: Any tips?

mccourtm
15th May 2011, 16:10
I'm planning on flying into EGGP from NI. Any tips would be appreciated.

AnglianAV8R
15th May 2011, 16:15
Locking wheel nuts ;)

flybymike
15th May 2011, 17:20
You could try asking Vince C on the Flyer forum I think he is based there.

Spitoon
15th May 2011, 17:27
Make sure there are no towbars lying around....

trex600
15th May 2011, 18:14
Get yourself familiar with the VRP's and Parking area 'kilo' and you shouldn't have a problem. They often use a ground frequency just after you land.
If you use Vrp Seaforth you basically follow the river into RW/09..

Don't forget your CC card :)

sammypilot
15th May 2011, 19:24
If you are travelling from Northern Ireland call about 30 miles out to speak to ATC. Probably best to aim for the WAL VOR initially and request to enter the Zone there. That will place you nicely for whichever runway is in use. Air Traffic are pretty helpful normally but perhaps do expect everybody to be familair with the area which visitors will not be so don't be frightened to ask for clarification. Handling for visiting aircraft is mandatory so expect a fairly hefty bill for the small amount of work the handling agents have to undertake.

KeyPilot
15th May 2011, 19:29
My neck of the woods, long time visitor to EGGP (oh how things have changed over the years!).

Few points in no particular order:

- very busy loco base nowadays, but..
- .. ATC have always been very helpful and accommodating to GA
- you will need PPR and handling (very professional and friendly) via Ravenair; cost ca. £50 for casual visit (some will whinge; good value say I - get full value out of of well stocked crewroom)
- no parking on main apron nowadays - all GA on dedicated site to E of airfield
- from NI you'll probably come in via Seaforth -with ATC instructions just follow E bank of Mersey to left base 09 or downwind 27 (as appropriate)
- er, that's about it

Good luck, do post a post-visit post (sorry!) to tell us all how it went!

KeyPilot
15th May 2011, 19:32
Oops forgot to say, EGGP have always seemed to have ATCers from weird places (one was Russian) with heavily accented English.. don't know why... last one a couple of months ago I literally couldn't understand, so I just told her what I was doing and she seemed OK with it.

KeyPilot
15th May 2011, 19:42
Oh another thing (sorry, been drinking!): Liverpool have an unusual request if/when downwind - they ask you to call "ready turn base leg" - this once caught out an experienced pilot due to the cognitive dissonance as he had never been asked this before - luckily this was picked up by his non-native English speaking passenger who just heard the words and repeated them!