PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Uniform Alternatives

safetwin
15th May 2011, 13:55
Afternoon all,

I'm getting married in a few months (lucky future Mrs ST) and I'm looking for alternatives to the standard issue blue shirt and black oxford shoe, can anyone recommend any good websites/suppliers for a better quality product?

Cheers y'all

ST

Fox3WheresMyBanana
15th May 2011, 16:15
Try the Irish Guards:E

Best wishes though..

Church's does an excellent Oxford that bulls up well. Not cheap mind, but mine are 10 years old, in excellent nick, and will last a lifetime. I think a link breaches pprune rules, so just google it.

Old-Duffer
15th May 2011, 16:20
Buy a pair of Loakes black leather Oxfords. Go to E C Snaith at RAF Cranwell and buy a 'Double Two' blue shirt that looks like a shirt and fits like a shirt and well you're at it buy one of their black wool ties.

However, if your best man is in the mob - don't let him let you down by turning up as a 'scruff'. Don't undo your shirt and loosen your tie at the Reception either!!!

If you have any of the clanky stuff that goes over the left pocket, get them mounted 'court style'.

Don't forget a decent SD hat and if appropriate the gloves (carry, if not wear).

That about does it - good luck and every happiness to you and the future Mrs ST; I'll send you my address for the piece of wedding cake, please.

Old Duffer

Neptunus Rex
15th May 2011, 17:18
As it's such a special occasion, how about Mess Wellingtons? I bought mine from Moss Bros and they lasted me more than 20 years, until my son purloined them. They really will "Bull" up well. Use shoe honns to keep them from creasing.

Tankertrashnav
15th May 2011, 17:38
Mess Wellingtons with No 1 HD? := Mess dress only, surely?

Talking about clanky stuff, just about everyone seems to have them mounted court style these days. Does anyone still wear them mounted "swing" style?

Mr C Hinecap
15th May 2011, 19:01
Make sure you have your sword hooks sorted and your swords booked. The lady at Halton is very helpful with it all.

If you are buying something other than issue, best make sure you buy one for the best man as well. Nothing worse than not being uniform with him when you are in uniform.

Old-Duffer
16th May 2011, 05:40
Ah CH, we might have an issue here!!

Shouldn't officers' sword belts be the canvas type worn beneath the jacket with the jazzy bits only showing and the sword carried in hand. It's only if you are going to draw the thing that you wear the glitzzy bits outside the jacket and instead of the ordinary jacket belt. However, as the current Mrs O-D (who was in the mob for ages and knows about these things) says; 'You can do as you want or you can do it properly'.

Non-commissioned personnel can acquire a white ceremonial belt (with bayonet frog???) from the SWO.

Tankertrashnav will know the correct form, he used to be a Rock!

O-D

teeteringhead
16th May 2011, 07:11
And some of the rest of us might know the correct form O-D, despite never having had the privilege (sic) of being Rocks ....;)

You are correct: "overbelts" - the Gucci blue and gold jobs - should only be worn by those drawing the sword formally. (Cake-cutting and shampoo bottle opening don't count.)

Ergo, Groom and Best Man should wear the "underbelts" (canvas Sam Browne-ish things), but any Gurad of Honour who will draw for a "sword arch" should wear the overbelt with swords hung up.

And whatever you do, read the book (AP 1358) and get white gloves. Last year I saw a serving wg cdr on a Royal occasion, with an unnecessary overbelt (he was not parading), brown leather gloves := and the sword attached back to front.......:=:=

Whenurhappy
16th May 2011, 08:24
Yes, technically, canvas underbelts should be worn but frankly, they look pants when compared with a good overbelt. If you are hiring swords, DO NOT EXPECT THE OVER-BELTS TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION - they have been stretched, frayed and altered over the years to fit around teh ever-expanding bellies of officers - and often have safety pins and God knows what else holding them together.

If you are going to wear an overbelt (and they do look smart) consider buying one. If you search on line, you can get a very good one from a reputable military tailor for about GBP100 - but order it well in advance because the quoted sizes don't seem match reality. And whists you are at it, get a sword. Great for all sorts of things like....well, nice to have and to hold, for richer for poorer (considerably poorer!).

Shoes - I concur - a good pair of Oxfords will last a life-time. British Officers are always measured by their shoes it seems. Having recently attended a foreign staff college, I was always identified by my clicking heels (segs) and it was a source of great amusement for the staff who heard me miles off as I walked down the marbled corridors, dressed in KD , looking like a Colonial Office District Commissioner. However, I do remember from my own wedding the rather solitary sound of my heels as we walked out of the Church!

This may sound factuous, but do brief your Guard of Honour (alias sword party) to behave. Get them to practice beforehand with a nominated grown-up and discourage - at all costs - the call of 'Korean Rules' during the Wedding Breakfast. It's not clever and its enough to reduce the mother of the bride (your new mother in law) to tears. Emotions run high at weddings and seeing your mates acting in an 'oikish' manner may be amusing to them but the father of the bride (who is still footing a substantial part fo the bill, I expect) will be less-than-impressed. Not trying to be a kill-joy, just passing on wisdom from bitter experience!

Have a great day...best wishes and report to us here how it went.

WP

PS: Having effectively bypassed Cranwell as a transferee from the Colonies - is much sword drill taught these days? We received as much sword drill as rifle drill (SLRs, of course) when I went through my officer training. I have got the impression from various events (qv) that few officers know how to handle the 'choice of weapons'. Classic one is clutching the grip rather than forcing the fingers against the guard to steady itat the Present.

Boy_From_Brazil
16th May 2011, 08:29
A word of advice....

If it rains, make sure the leader of the sword party doesn't forget to thoroughly dry off and return all the swords after you go off on honeymoon! After two weeks in a car boot, they will resemble something from a scrap yard.

A few guys out there will know whose wedding I am talking about!

Cheers

BFB

Old-Duffer
16th May 2011, 08:39
Safetwin,

We are making the assumption in the most of the above posts, that you hold Her Majesty's Writ. Should we be wrong, most of our collective advice remains valid - anything to do with swords IS NOT!!

Old Duffer

Ali Barber
16th May 2011, 10:24
Many moons ago when I went through this, we assumed the white gloves for the guard of honour came with the swords. No such luck, but managed to borrow some from the local police who wear them with their dress uniform.

Tankertrashnav
16th May 2011, 10:45
Tankertrashnav will know the correct form, he used to be a Rock!

Maybe so, but I ignored the rules at my own wedding and wore the overbelt, which I'm pleased to say looked in good condition, which I've just confirmed from the photo. Anyway, who says cake cutting doesn't count?!

Rather think it would have to be let out several notches before I could get it on now though, and the No 1 would need major surgery :(

Re sword drill, Whenurhappy, the one I used to like was "rest on your arms reversed", done to a count of 6 IIRC, finishing off with the head being bowed (hopefully everyone's at the same time). Never had to do it "for real" I'm pleased to say. Anyway that's funerals, not weddings, so quite a thread drift!

Whenurhappy
16th May 2011, 10:49
Tankertrashnav

Ahh, yes, resting the tip of the sword on the welt of your left (?) shoe.

Slow Marching with 'Swords Reversed' is also a challenge...probably next seen when 'Phil the Greek' is paid off...to use appropriate Naval parlance.

Anonystude
16th May 2011, 11:31
I'm not at work, so can't check the Intranet, and a search on here wasn't profitable -- does anyone have contact details (preferrably a civ phone number) for whoever it is at Halton that can organise swords?

I'm off to a mate's wedding; he's army (and with an army guard of honour) but he's asked if I can acquire a sword + acoutrements as well.

Climebear
16th May 2011, 11:31
From AP1358 Chap 9 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/964916B1_92D8_58D3_000CB14A10495884.pdf)(on RAF Website - though not up to current AL)

0914. Method of wear. There are two methods of wearing the sword (See page 9 – 17/18 ):

a. Hooked Up. Parade commanders, commanders of guards of honour, officers under their orders, Directors of Music Bandmasters and WOs in colour parties are to wear the sword hooked up on the ceremonial belt, worn outside the jacket. When worn this way with No 1 and 6 SD, the detachable belt is to be removed from the jacket and with No 1A and 6A SD, the sash is to be dispensed with. The ceremonial belt can be prevented from sagging by fitting a small brass hook on either side of the jacket at waist level, or by use of a needle and thread. When a greatcoat is worn, the hilt of the sword is to be outside the sword slit of the greatcoat.

b. Normal fitting. Inspecting and reviewing officers, those in attendance upon them and other officers not referred to in sub-para a, are to wear the sword in the normal fitting, i.e. the scabbard containing the sword is clipped to the two slings which in turn hang from a plain canvas belt worn under the uniform jacket with the shoulder strap over the right shoulder. With the sword in this position, the jacket belt is to be worn with No 1 and 6 SD and the sash with No 1A and 6A SD. When a greatcoat is worn, the hilt of the sword is to protrude beyond the wrap-over, which is to be folded back. The method of carrying the sword is outlined in AP 818 (Drill and Ceremonial).

teeteringhead
16th May 2011, 13:11
consider buying one. If you search on line, you can get a very good one from a reputable military tailor for about GBP100 - but order it well in advance because the quoted sizes don't seem match reality. And whilst you are at it, get a sword. ... an excellent idea. One knows of more than one officer who persuaded his intended that this would be an ideal wedding gift from her to him. Smart move ;)

Not Milady Teeters I fear :( But I did wear an over belt for my wedding. Mrs O-D may be pleased to know that I did know it was wrong ..... but deffo looks better in the piccies!:ok:

Climebear
16th May 2011, 13:25
It is a shame that the Royal Air Force Full Dress Uniform (http://www.britairforce.com/imagepages/raf_uniform_raf_full_dress.htm) hasn't been re introduced - if only as an optional item that officers may purchase (to save any tax payer worries) - though with the 1921 busby replaced by the SD cap. It could be worn by grooms and best man (similar to Army No1 Dress (Blues - or Greens in proper regiments)) and as air officers' No1A dress as something more closely matching their Army colleagues).

Now that is a uniform fit for a Roya Duke to get married in
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aisledash.com/media/2008/04/queenmotherwed4.jpg
(albeit with the photo reversed - but I trust you get the jist)

safetwin
16th May 2011, 15:17
Thanks for all your help, have got an outfit ordered with G W Outfitters so I'll look a right clown....

Guard of honour all briefed, although I'm expecting some kind of sword fighting before the end of the night! I haven't signed for them so it's not my problem!!

ST

Professor Plum
16th May 2011, 18:17
I'm getting married at some point next year :\, I'd also quite like to know the contact details of the chaps at Halton that can organise swords etc.

If anyone could post/pm then, I'd be very grateful!

Ta!

safetwin
17th May 2011, 09:28
Try Tracy Lennard- Supply Admin- RAF Halton on 95237 6333

ST

AR1
17th May 2011, 19:59
And you can't beat a really big sword for the cake cutting - Though I had to leave that to the folks at my daughters wedding as when I got married, the ranks wern't considered responisble enough to carry anything sharp.