PDA

View Full Version : PPL course in own aircraft ?

inspectors
15th May 2011, 09:42
I have 3 friends who want to by an aircraft between them 1 has 2,000 hrs and the other whilst have flown many hours (not logable) do not have their PPL's. if they own there own aircraft can they undertake the PPL course in their own syndicate aircraft, obviously they would have to use an organisation who were willing, thanks.

moreflaps
15th May 2011, 11:00
I wonder what the insurance company would say -even if you can find a school to agree to this ?

Cheers

FleetFlyer
15th May 2011, 11:01
You definitely can on a C of A aircraft, insurance permitting (easier to obtain than you might think) and the rules recently changed allowing you to do this with a permit aircraft, providing that the student is part owner of the aircraft. You can also now train from a non-licensed airfield. These two factors have greatly reduced the costs associated with getting your PPL but few people seem to have taken advantage of it as yet.

There is an instructor who advertises on AFORS who will probably be willing to instruct. Finding an individual instructor rather than going to a school would be your best bet. I did part of my training on my own aircraft and it was only one man band instructors who were willing to instruct me.

The LAA should be able to confirm and clarify the rules surrounding the above.
Whereabouts are you, as I'm keen to start a new syndicate?

RTN11
15th May 2011, 11:43
Where do you live?

There are plenty of places where you could learn in your own aircraft, all instruction is done on a club basis so as long as both the instructor and student are both members of the flying club it's fine.

How often are they likely to fly? The biggest problem with doing a PPL and only having the one aircraft will be if it's down for maintenance it will hold up your training. If it had a massive annual, or serious problems, at a critical time in the course it can be a real nightmare. Hence why most schools have a fleet of similar aircraft.

As for insurance, it would need the same as any training aircraft, which typically states "club use", and costs around £2k a year.

inspectors
15th May 2011, 12:24
Thanks for your replies everyone, 2 of us are licensed engineers so we are looking into the maintenance issues, also I used to have an FI(A) rating which I will look to renew, that might help the other 2 guys out, However I am not going to be part of the syndicate, skint :) thanks again. Simon.