PDA

View Full Version : Lake Eyre trip from Bankstown

adamperl
14th May 2011, 09:06
Hi All,

Am starting to plan a lake eyre trip in July in a Piper Cherokee. Start and finish in Cowra (NSW).

Am thinking I would like to head N to Bourke / Moomba / Birsdville, then doswn over lake eyre to William Creek, Flinders (Leigh Creek?) and then Broken Hill home.

Would greatly appreciate input on waypoints to see along the way, fuel issues, any other tips, route advice etc.

Many thanks,

A

Grogmonster
14th May 2011, 11:25
Adamperl,

Moomba is not an option. It is a SANTOS owned airstrip and there is no Avgas there. I would consider tracking Bourke, Thargomindah, Birdsville then as planned to William Creek. Just make sure you have a good read of the ERSA details for each proposed landing point along with any relevant NOTAMS. Also, without fail, ring and check for fuel availability at each point. At Birdsville you should order your fuel prior to arrival and be prepared for prices in excess of $2.50 per litre in some locations.

You will enjoy your trip if you spend lots of time flight planning and allow for at least 30 kts headwind on all Westerly or S/W tracks at this time of the year. While that may not be the case it gives you a good margin if there is wind. Good preparation is the key.

Finally do not fall into the trap of thinking that you are away from the city and there is no traffic or rules. It is very busy out in the bush at this time of year and a professional approach to your flying is expected at all times. I am sure you will have fun.

Groggy

Desert Flower
14th May 2011, 22:29
No fuel available at Leigh Creek. Fuel is available at William Creek, also Marree.
Heard that Avgas is around $2:50 a litre at Marree.

DF.

mostlytossas
15th May 2011, 00:36
Was up there last weekend. Avgas at Coober Pedy $2.09/lt Olympic Dam $2.03/lt plus $55 cash opening fee unless you arrive around the RPT times when he is there. William Creek is about 20c/lt more than YCBP. Lake Eyre 80% full and falling but more water due in a couple of months I believe.Cooper creek not flowing into lake at present but water still in creek at southern end. Go see the painted hills about 15nm NNE of Prominent Hill mine. Overnight at Coober Pedy and I can recommened the Mud Hut Motel who will collect and deliver you to the airport gratis. Wilpena Pound, and Arkaroola also should be on your must see list. Good time of year to visit the above and busy over Lake Eyre. While I was over the lake last Saturday a Dash 8 did a low fly over at about 1000' and Alliances F50's do regular weekend tours from Adelaide also, so not all puddle jumpers up there.
Have a great trip.:ok:

Ovation
15th May 2011, 01:27
Rawnsley Park is a few miles S of Wilpena with a good strip and fuel by arrangement. There are different levels of accommodation, with the 1 and 2 Bedroom "Eco Villas" being the most expensive but well worth the cost. On-line cost, availability and bookings at their website.

The Woolshed Restaurant is on the property frequented by locals as well as visitors, and there are well marked walking trails with levels of exertion from easy to heart attack, with spectacular scenery and wildlife (take good footwear and water).

When visiting any strip in the outback, be aware of wildlife sharing the airstrip with you - Rawnsley Park is no exception.:)

ForkTailedDrKiller
15th May 2011, 04:33
Check ya NOTAMS and watch out for active Restricted Areas - Jaba nearly got me into trouble with that one! :E

Dr :8

Ovation
15th May 2011, 04:50
A guide to prevent dehydration in hot arid areas. :)

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/393848-aussie-pubs-airstrips.html

Paul Alfred
15th May 2011, 07:32
BDV $2.85 a litre.

adamperl
15th May 2011, 08:09
Thanks for all the tips guys - really helpful. I am getting underway with detailed planning and will post again with any questions.

Any more cool waypoints? Are the menindee lakes worth it?

Tonym3
15th May 2011, 09:16
I did a lap a few weeks back. Check the NOTAM for the special CTAF in operation for the Lakes and the strips in the area. I think its 127.8.

One thing I found was that the pilots doing the scenics (and there are quite a few) refer to some landmarks that aren't marked on the WAC. I think they may also look at some other kind of map for some more naming detail but I can't remember what it was - maybe a FWD map. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal. I just broadcast my position from time to time and figured that they'd know if they were in the same place as I was.

Lunch at the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna is pretty nice if you're ok with landing on the service road (make sure you check the details so as to get the right road) - beats the roadhouse at Marree and less of a walk too.

Arrrj
16th May 2011, 01:04
I did the same trip in my R44 helicopter late last year. The comments made prior about fuel are important. The guy at Marree (for instance) needs to be called from town to fill you up (and his phone does not always work !) - but the people at Rawnsley Park are really helpful. You must call everywhere you want to get fuel and get their names prior to turning up.

We flew down through Mildura, stayed overnight there at the Mildura Grand (taxis from the aeroclub), and ate at Stefanos - superb.

Stefano's - Mildura Victoria, Australia (http://www.stefano.com.au/)

Don't forget you will be flying (for at least some time) in the Designated Remote Area, and there is a set of special gear you will need to be carrying...there is a frequency (not published) for use in the Lake Eyre region - from Marree north. The pilots at Rawnsley can advise you where to go and what to see, and the correct frequencies.

We came back through Broken Hill, Wilcannia (call for fuel...) and Condobolin.

It's a great trip - enjoy. :ok:

bentleg
16th May 2011, 08:10
there is a frequency (not published) for use in the Lake Eyre region - from Marree north

It's NOTAM'd in the Area 52 forecast

TEMPO DISCRETE AREA BCST FREQ 127.8 ESTABLISHED IN LAKE EYRE REGION
WI THE BOUNDRIES OF STRAIGHT LINES JOINING S27 30.0 E136 00.0 TO
S27 30.0 E139 00.0 TO S30 00.0 E139 00.0 TO S30 00.0 E136 00.0 TO S27
30.0 E136 00.0
TO ASSIST IN SEPERATION FM OTHER ACFT PILOTS ENTERING AND OPR WI THE
DESIGNATED AIRSPACE MUST BCST THE FOLLOWING ON THE BCST FREQ;
1.ACFT CALLSIGN
2.ACFT PSN
3.ACFT LVL
4.PILOTS INTENTIONS IN RELATION TO FLIGHT
PILOTS OPR AT AD WI THE DESIGNATED AIRSPACE MUST MAKE BCST AS
APPLICABLE TO NON TOWERED AD IN CLASS G AIRSPACE AS SPECIFIED IN AIP
ON DISCRETE AREA BCST FREQ. THE DISCRETE BCST AREA INCLUDES LAKE EYRE
NORTH, LAKE EYRE SOUTH, MAREE (YMRE) AND WILLIAM CREEK (YWMC)
SFC TO 5000FT AMSL
FROM 02 232341 TO 11 281130

Victor India
16th May 2011, 13:11
Quick question regarding outback flying, and apologies as I don't have access to my charts or publications at present...

Can anyone advise what the requirements of the "Designated Remote Area" are, and are the boundaries on the Planning Chart Australia (PCA)?

I have done some looking online in AIP etc with no luck.

I'm planning a trip from Canberra in a C210 via Broken Hill to Rawnsley Park Station (near Wilpena pound, Flinders Ranges), then south to Adelaide. Not sure if this will technically cross the designated area, but the rules will aid my preparation either way.

Much appreciated.

VI

Sunfish
16th May 2011, 21:52
Arkaroola is worth a stay, mine host Doug Sprigg, is a pilot and operates his own scenic flight service. There should be avgas and maybe a hangar as well. Check with Doug. The strip is placarded at 650m which is plenty long enough for the Piper, if a little short for a fully loaded Arrow.

Also the Dig tree is worth a visit - 1400m clay strip. Check with "the ranger" at Napa Merrie.

Already planning my next visit to Arkaroola in July as well. Maybe I'll go via Tibooburra to show my passenger the drawings in the bar.

bentleg
16th May 2011, 22:27
Can anyone advise what the requirements of the "Designated Remote Area" are

ERSA GEN-FIS-17 (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/ersa/GUID_ersa-fac-2-9_10-Mar-2011.pdf) and CAO20.11 (http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao20/2011.pdf)

and are the boundaries on the Planning Chart Australia (PCA)?

No they are not.

mcgrath50
16th May 2011, 22:33
VI,

It's in the ERSA in the back. From memory you just need supplies to sustain life and an ability to communicate if you go down. And it asks you to stick near highways at times. Been a while since I've looked through that section though.

Victor India
17th May 2011, 12:05
bentleg and mcgrath50,

thanks for the replies.

VI

Old Akro
18th May 2011, 02:00
Flight Safety magazine did a good article on outback survival some years ago (towards 10 years ago). There is a ton of stuff if you google. I think someone like the US AOPA has also written something good.

Interestingly, there is the potential to be rescued sooner in areas that we perceive as remote than some closer to home. The reality is that you are overwhelmingly likely to be rescued the same day or the next day. So, the focus is on being found (GPS EPIRB, SAT phone, Mirror, smoke, radio calls), whatever first aid you can do (which probably revolves around stopping blood loss, making the person comfortable and waiting) and keeping yourself positive (blanket, painkillers for headaches, etc, bandaids, fire). You can go about 3 days without water & 3 weeks without food. You must carry water, forget about emergency rations.

And monitor 121.5 on the second radio when its not doing anything more useful. All the airline pilots I've spoken to in Australia monitor 121.5, although the US Flying magazine has recently had a column by Les Abend who suggests the air to air chat freq (123.45) is a better bet for emergency calls. The AsA VHF network is likely to have a number of dead patches in the area you will be flying, so prepare for dual Mayday calls on area & 121.5.

You'll be surprised at how much coverage you get with a blue tick Next G phone in the air, but on the ground it will basically only have coverage where you won't need it. I have had ATC call my mobile in areas where VHF didn't have coverage. I hate Telstra with a passion, but if you aren't on Telstra Next G you should get at least a prepaid SIM card for the trip.

There is a divergence of opinion on whether you should carry some basic aircraft tools & parts (eg spark plug, alternator belt). But its worth thinking about and deciding for yourself.

Flying Binghi
18th May 2011, 02:13
...the focus is on being found (GPS EPIRB, SAT phone, Mirror, smoke, radio calls),...

I would add that when flying the aircraft whats carried on the person is the survival kit and whats stored in the plane is the camping kit.

At a minimum have the EPIRB attached to you at all times during flight.

Happy travels..:)

Avid Aviator
4th Aug 2011, 01:53
Recently back from a great trip up there. Fuel advice as above still accurate.

Recommend a lunch or overnight stay at Mungeranie and Clayton Stations, Camerons Corner Store (great place but not great accom), Comeroo Station (near Bourke).

Tibooburra Hotel a great stay and fuel available too, but need to book it beforehand for some odd reason.

Innamincka has fuel too - land at the town strip, not the main one. Accomm and pub is not bad.

Dig Tree a must visit, strip is great and a short walk to this famous site. Just make sure you land at the Dig Tree strip, not Nappa Merrie Station or the Santos strip, both nearby!

Well worth it, just takes a bit of planning and a phone call to every place before you depart to check they're still open!

missy
4th Aug 2011, 07:59
Can recommend Grand Hotel @ Mildura (& Stefano's).

Another option would be Lake Mungo Welcome to Mungo Lodge - Gateway to Mungo National Park (http://www.mungolodge.com.au/)

Enjoy and please post what you finally decide on and how you went.

Xcel
4th Aug 2011, 09:47
Mildura - wilpena pound - painted hills - Coober pedy - William creek - birdsville - home would be my pick...

Arrrj
4th Aug 2011, 10:26
Mungo Lodge for lunch is fantastic. :ok:

Marauder
4th Aug 2011, 11:06
Give Dick Lang a call from Desert Air Safaris in Adelaide ( if you need me to give you his number, you shouldn't be out there),
he has been around since black and white photos (that's why his advertising still has him with hair)

Outback SA has been his home for over 30 years.

Wealth of knowledge, keen to share it.

Enjoy the trip.

Desert Flower
4th Aug 2011, 22:11
Dick doesn't do much himself these days, it's usually a couple of other guys flogging around the country in the crappy old Chieftains. The Kingair he bought a couple of years ago suffered some trauma recently while it was in the shop for a hot section, & probably won't be back in the air anytime soon.

DF.

Jerr
5th Aug 2011, 03:40
Currently in Whyalla, just back from Alice Springs, off to Olympic Dam tomorrow.

Yes VHF coverage is limited below 5000' to 7000' in some areas, check the PCA chart as this guide to coverage is not too bad.

I always have Centre on, and on COM 2 I usually listen out on 126.7, there is usually someone listening out. Around Lake Eyre listen out on 127.8, their frequency. The guys and gals at Marree are more than happy to give you a quick local knowledge guide, and highlights of what to see.

Beware we had some strong northly winds in the last few days, most strips eg Marree and William Creek have only one strip and you could find yourself low of fuel with a cross wind that could exceed your limits or ability.

Great country...:ok:

JERR

megle2
5th Aug 2011, 06:34
Ouch, is that why Dick's King Air is advertised for sale in the aviation trader this month.

PLovett
5th Aug 2011, 07:26
Remember Dick in 2009 with a stuck mike over Lake Eyre. Gave a lovely 20 minute narration of the history of Lake Eyre. My passengers really enjoyed it. :ok:

Plow King
5th Aug 2011, 13:20
Remember Dick in 2009 with a stuck mike over Lake Eyre. Gave a lovely 20 minute narration of the history of Lake Eyre. My passengers really enjoyed it.

Looks like it's not an isolated occurance then - I heard the same thing in 2000. I think this time it was a result of selecting a Com instead if the Intercom; at the and of it the pilot of a company aircraft informed Dick he was on area, to which he replied "Well, I hope you buggers learnt something then."

Desert Flower
7th Aug 2011, 12:13
Desert Flower

Were you the greatly respected lady refueller at Leigh Creek (or is old age catching up with me)? What has happened up there ??

Awww shucks justappl- yer makin' me blush! :O Yep, the one & only -well from the end of 1988 to almost the end of 2008 anyway. Were you the pilot who told me that the big bugsplat in the middle of the Bonanza's windscreen was made by a grasshopper up at nine & a half thousand? Bet I know what the last thing that went through its mind was! ;)
Corrosion was found in the JetA1 fuel tank during a routine inspection back in 2008, & due to the age of the tanks BP decided to close the whole show down. Someone is supposed to be installing overhead tanks out there shortly, but will believe it when I see it. Would have been nice to have it in place before Birdsville weekend which is almost upon us once more.

DF.

Mimpe
7th Aug 2011, 13:05
Designated Remote Area is briefed on p 891 of the current Ersa.
There is no legal requirement to stick to the corridors, but only a recommendation. HF radio is important i the air in this part of the world.

The adivice on emergency supplies is also at the back of the ersa. Take lots of water..we had 25 litres crossing australia east to west.

Dont go anywhere near MTOW if the weather is hot, and drink a lot of water.

Our Paranoia led us to hire a sat phone which eneded up being quite handy.W also had double gps with double battery cover, as well as vor and ndb whic is still really helpfull. Having said that, i reckon it would have still been posiible to do it by dead reckoning. I flew Alice to Coober Pedy, then back via some cattle station north of Oodnadatta last year on dead reckong and it was easily done.

Xcel
7th Aug 2011, 13:25
Dont go anywhere near MTOW if the weather is hot, and drink a lot of water.

Errr why not?

What is the performance section in your afm for?

i reckon it would have still been posiible to do it by dead reckoning. I flew Alice to Coober Pedy, then back via some cattle station north of Oodnadatta last year on dead reckong and it was easily done.

Good god... You had to use a map!! This is revolutionary... :ugh: