PDA

View Full Version : Video Link Request: B-52 Cresting Ridge (Holland)

Been There...
13th May 2011, 17:42
Hi,

I am putting together a presentation about supervision (but not about flying) and want to use a video clip of a B-52 cresting a ridge which I think is Holland as the opening sequence. I am sure it was shown at Red Flag on the second Monday briefs (or might have been Cope Thunder).
On March 10, 1994, Holland commanded a single-aircraft training mission to the Yakima Bombing Range to provide an authorized photographer an opportunity to document the aircraft as it dropped training munitions. The minimum aircraft altitude permitted for that area was 500 feet (150 m) AGL. During the mission, Holland's aircraft was filmed crossing one ridgeline about 30 feet (10 m) above the ground. Fearing for their safety, the photography crew ceased filming and took cover as Holland's aircraft again passed low over the ground, this time estimated as clearing the ridgeline by only three feet (1 m). The co-pilot on Holland's aircraft testified that he grabbed the controls to prevent Holland from flying the aircraft into the ridge while the aircraft's other two aircrew members repeatedly screamed at Holland, "Climb! Climb!" Holland responded by laughing and calling one of the crew members "a pussy".[1]
Does anyone know a link to the video, or have a copy that I can use?

Thanks in advance.

ImageGear
13th May 2011, 17:59
All in here: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/283175-bud-hollands-low-pass-yakima-range.html

Been There...
13th May 2011, 18:14
Perfect. Thank you.

Regards

Trim Stab
13th May 2011, 20:00
To continue the theme of supervision (or lack of it), and the benefits of transparence, would anybody care to elaborate as to why the RAF never released the videos of the 1994 C130 South Cerney incident?

The views of the family of the victim would have to be taken into account - but given their published views after the inquest I suspect that their views were not the reason that the video has not been released.

c130jbloke
13th May 2011, 21:27
I would suspect that it had something to do with the fact it formed part of a criminal case against the pilot concerned. The vid used to form part of a case study on the flight safety cse - not great quality but if you know the background its enough.

Vox Populi
14th May 2011, 20:36
Do the RAF ever (voluntarily) release videos of accidents and incidents?

The Bud Holland video collection seems to be sourced from news reports in the public domain.

Hipper
15th May 2011, 08:07
Presumably there were pilots like Holland in the RAF?

Trim Stab
16th May 2011, 09:35
Presumably there were pilots like Holland in the RAF?

Oh no, of course not:=

Wrathmonk will be along in a minute..

The Old Fat One
16th May 2011, 18:04
would anybody care to elaborate as to why the RAF never released the videos of the 1994 C130 South Cerney incident?

Two reasons...

The yanks are way more open to the publuc re accountability. All the information, official and otherwise, on Bud Holland was released to the public. Remember, it was not all about his flying indiscipline...there were huge errors in the command chain as well.

Second, the video I have seen of the South Cerney incident was shot from inside the aircraft and and is not very nice. You'd have to be a wee bit voyeuristic to want to watch it.

Wrathmonk
16th May 2011, 18:25
Wrathmonk will be along in a minute..

Meoww. You bitch.;)

How is the job application for FSTA going anyway .....

Trim Stab
16th May 2011, 18:28
You'll be pleased to know I am not being allowed in as I only have experience on little bizjets which is not what they want obviously. Also I expect they would be pretty horrified by my past :E and I don't meet the UK residency requirements any more.

PPRuNe Pop
16th May 2011, 18:52
There is only so many times this subject can be put on PPRuNe. This, is one too many.