PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham airport question

UniFoxOs
13th May 2011, 07:37
I took SWMBO to BHX a few days ago, she has gone off on a cruise. Having to leave home at stupid o'clock I put the 'puter on to check the ETD on the BHX website. There was a banner on the site advertising that BHX is now a single-terminal airport.

My IRIS enrollment has expired and I want to renew it at the next possible opportunity. Has anybody been airside at BHX recently and had a chance to get a good look at it? Is the new setup organised in such a way that the IRIS enrollment room is still accessible? The Border Agency website is still describing its original position in "Terminal 1" which doesn't give me any confidence that the website is current.

Cheers
UFO

call100
13th May 2011, 08:27
There are still two terminals as such. The difference now is that you go through one single security area for both and then enter your departure area. AFAIK the site is current.

UniFoxOs
13th May 2011, 09:28
So can you get from the "Terminal 2" part of the new setup to the "Terminal 1" part to access the IRIS registration room? I bet not.

Chuchinchow
13th May 2011, 10:22
So can you get from the "Terminal 2" part of the new setup to the "Terminal 1" part to access the IRIS registration room? I bet not.

Have you thought of picking up the phone to, or emailing, the UKBA office at BHX? You would get a short, effective and - above all - authoritative response there.

eutectic
13th May 2011, 13:40
Both passenger lounges are linked now and if you know where you are going it is possible to get to the IRIS room from either. I have tried many times to register for IRIS but there has never been anyone there or no-one answers the phone number provided to get someone to attend.
Cheers

PAXboy
13th May 2011, 22:24
These are the folks to help you with BHX questions:

hhttp://www.pprune.oreg/airlines-asirports-rouetes/266640-birm are ingham-4-a-212.html (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/266640-birmingham-4-a-212.html)

and welcome eutectic to our cabin. :)

UniFoxOs
14th May 2011, 07:37
Paxboy, thanks for the pointer, never been into that forum before, always asked here or night stop for travel-related info if a search doesn't show up a suitable thread/forum.

Eutectic, thanks for the answar, exactly what I wanted to know.

Chucinchow, I did think about asking the UKBA, but after many years of getting authoritative but either wrong, misleading or useless answers from civil servants and large organisations, I decided to ask here - and it worked.

Cheers
UFO

Phalconphixer
16th May 2011, 16:19
Very slight thread drift but...

UniFoxOS

Why not?

At Malaga if you are flying to the UK by any airline other than BA or Iberia, all check-ins are done through Terminal 2; Security and hand-baggage checks for all flights are done through Terminal 3, and departure gates for non BA / Iberia flights are back in Terminal 2...

pp

traymat
16th May 2011, 21:00
It seems that the IRIS machines are now gone and the whole project scrapped due to high cost. Something called E Gate will replace next summer. Arrived the other day at LGW and IRIS no more. Pity for a frequent flyer.

ExXB
17th May 2011, 19:42
It seems that the IRIS machines are now gone and the whole project scrapped due to high cost. Something called E Gate will replace next summer. Arrived the other day at LGW and IRIS no more. Pity for a frequent flyer.

They were testing something like that in Bristol when I arrived over Easter. Mrs ExXB was going to use it, but it was only available a few hours a day (working hours, not peak airport hours)

Your passport needed a chip, and you had to be over 19 ... or something like that.