PDA

View Full Version : The truth about air travel safety statistics

Gibon2
11th May 2011, 07:26
This article, from a reputable news source, puts its finger on the reason I feel slightly uneasy when reading the earnest reassurances from the aviation professionals here who are kind enough to reply to the various fear-of-flying posts:

142 Plane Crash Victims Were Statistically More Likely To Have Died In A Car Crash (http://www.theonion.com/articles/142-plane-crash-victims-were-statistically-more-li,20353/)

And it made me laugh.

Ralf Stosser
11th May 2011, 07:57
As the old joke goes, nervous man asks stewardess "how often does this type of aircraft crash?"

She replies "Only once, sir."

TSR2
11th May 2011, 08:08
No reports of a crash of United Airlines 9753.

ExXB
11th May 2011, 08:27
Jet Blast material --> This is the Onion!

PAXboy
11th May 2011, 09:47
Yes, this is a kite being flown BUT to try and answer the point:

It's statistics! Yes,these [imaginary] folks were statistical more likely to die in car prangs - but they didn't. Until an event happens, the statistics cannot be set of THEM individually.

My grandfather's died at 45 (V2 bomb) and 60 (lung cancer after gas in WWI and smoking)

My own father died at 78 (congestive heart failure)

So, the first two are unnatural and will not affect my personal statistic of dying - although they will affect the overall statistics of males in the 20th century.

My father's death WILL have a statistical effect on my own life/death but until my death has taken place - we will not know.

Time to put the kettle on and find a packet of biscuits. :ok:

Anansis
11th May 2011, 13:31
I love the Onion but it's forte is in satire- Their cover story today is "Obama makes it through another day of resisting urge to launch all US nuclear missiles at once." It often makes for a thought provoking read but is not to be taken too seriously :ok:

Northbeach
12th May 2011, 14:18
Gibon2

on the reason I feel slightly uneasy when reading the earnest reassurances from the aviation professionals here who are kind enough to reply to the various fear-of-flying posts:

If it makes you feel any better, rest assured that we in the pointy end of the flying-thing are always the first to arrive at the scene of the accident; and therefore have the highest incentive to avoid such undesirable outcomes.

WHBM
12th May 2011, 14:29
Having actually made up a story here that a well-known airline has had a huge fatal accident, which is a complete invention, I will be amazed if the United lawyers are not onto them in an instant. Quite libellous.

crippen
13th May 2011, 18:29
Do they have statistics for deaths per driver miles in the different lists?
Exit! Quickly!:}

Ralf Stosser
13th May 2011, 18:55
If it makes you feel any better, rest assured that we in the pointy end of the flying-thing are always the first to arrive at the scene of the accident; and therefore have the highest incentive to avoid such undesirable outcomes.Always? :E

YouTube - MD-80 tail separation during landing

Mr Optimistic
22nd May 2011, 14:59
What a strange article. I always think risk per minute traveling is the psychologically significant factor. However, from the UK life tables, I have only a 0.8% chance of dying this year (an improvement on last year's tables - at this rate I'll be immortal) so can reasonably risk the odd flight, within limits, even with my hazy interpretation of the brace position.

A2QFI
31st May 2011, 18:56
There is the truth and there are statistics. Which do you want?

ChicoG
1st Jun 2011, 05:50
I drive in the Middle East, and trust me, if I've made it to the airport unscathed, I have absolutely no safety concerns regarding my flights! The car is the most harrowing part of the whole journey!:E