PDA

View Full Version : Toughen up Princess

Greedy
10th May 2011, 22:08
Is being told "not to report so and so and another so and so by name in the third person to CASA and the ATSB again" a threat or am I just another princess ?
Please post your thoughts!

Roller Merlin
10th May 2011, 22:59
Not enough info....

Steve888
10th May 2011, 23:51
If it's a safety issue, then yes, it does seem like a threat.

compressor stall
11th May 2011, 00:31
Has it had the opportunity to go through your safety system first?

Greedy
11th May 2011, 01:21
Yes, raised as an issue within Airline Z with Senior Check Capt and Chief Pilot.Then ATSB Repcon reported as well as given to CASA. Described it as "Repcon material" when given to CASA.
Greedy

Ejector
11th May 2011, 14:52
Sorry, but looks like you are about to fail your next ride !!! :mad:

They can't fire a secretary who steels but if you try to do things right and safely, then, well fail ..... Oz is going Paki !

welliewanger
11th May 2011, 14:58
Isn't there some sort of anonymous reporting system? I don't know what you're reporting, but most of these things have a paper trail. If the authorities are just told where to look. Or am I just being naive?

bentleg
11th May 2011, 21:50
If its a safety issue and you are concerned about naming people or repercusssions use REPCON (http://www.atsb.gov.au/voluntary/repcon-aviation.aspx)

Sunfish
11th May 2011, 22:41
This is what is known as "the double bind problem" and it is endemic to Australian commercial aviation as far as I can tell.

1. You are required by law to comply with safety regulations under threat of prosecution.

2. The corporate culture punishes anyone who raises a safety sensitive matter with any regulator.

The pilot is in the middle between a rock and a hard place.

Report something and you are moral, legal, but have no career.

Don't report, and you will have a career, but will carry the judicial and moral liability for your employers failings.

Exxon and BP are masters of this strategy.

Brian Abraham
12th May 2011, 01:29
Exxon and BP are masters of this strategy. Amen......

Greedy
12th May 2011, 02:22
Lester Burnham,
Yes it is a continuation of the Capt X rant. Hopefully I will get it out of my system soon and realise that Sunfish is right and accept it - the reporting systems are just there to protect the CASA bureaucrats from any responsibility. Until that time I will attempt to do my little bit.
Greedy

LM82
12th May 2011, 05:35
Greedy

out of curiousity was this ever reported through a company Safety Management System or did it go straight to CP/Checkie and then as you were unsatisfied to ATSB/CASA bypassing the SMS?

Greedy
12th May 2011, 07:18
LM82,
Two problems with the company SMS:
Not confidential (at least in this instance)
No result would have been achieved . Can give example however to say more will be revealing identity. Both mine and company.
All I can say is that I agree totally with Sunfish. The systems are toothless tiger's meant to look and sound good but are are empty lot behind an elegant facade.
One of the problems is that if I have a serious allegation by the time the report is de- identified it looks something like this:
"At a time not specified a pilot not identified did something, I cant be more specific, that may have been contrary to instructions (not contained here in)"
The report can be closed with everyone assuring everyone else that there is no evidence and we are all taking it very seriously however no-one is really the wiser.
Greedy

GADRIVR
12th May 2011, 12:13
"The corporate culture punishes anyone who raises a safety sensitive matter with any regulator"

Should read....

The "low cost low rent GA inspired" corporate culture punishes anyone who raises a safety sensitive matter with any "brainless sociopathic employee" of "the" regulator.

Lets get accurate OK Sunny my boy!!!!;)