PDA

View Full Version : Funding flying...

ADB25
10th May 2011, 14:57
Absolute nightmare...

But cant help but want to do it, like most of us, its in my blood!! So more begging, stealing and borrowing for me then, unless there is a wealthy man/women on here that would like a toy boy, muhaha.

I knew I should of worked at McDonald's, would of had atleast 2 stars by now :ok:

The500man
10th May 2011, 17:44
I'm led to believe Al-Qaeda may have a job vacancy. It's a fairly high up position so it should pay quite well.

Apply directly to the Pakistani ISI. :)

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2011, 18:01
There's usually something cheaper to fly!

Look at microlight or LAA syndicates, or if you have a serious time/money mismatch, join a gliding club.

G

ADB25
10th May 2011, 18:02
Already applied, apparantly I dont have enough hours for the one way pilot role.

huff

Genghis

Flying powerless has never been something that has held interest for me, but the sydicate is a great idea, thanks!

The500man
10th May 2011, 18:06
Pilot - Aircrew jobs - RAF Careers (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/pilot.cfm)

The cheapest option.

IO540
10th May 2011, 18:14
I knew I should of worked at McDonald's, would of had

Getting a little bitt offf edukatiooouun improffes one's employumenenent prosssspekts quite soooprisingly :)

I am pulling your leg but there is a serious side to my post too. If you write

I knew I should of

on a CV, the only job you are going to get is a supermarket shelf stuffer on the NMW.

Lister Noble
10th May 2011, 19:06
NMW?
Sorry but I don't know half this crap language:rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
10th May 2011, 19:22
National Minimum Wage.

I'm afraid that the route many pilots take is to realise that they've paid off a fair chunk of their mortgage, and adding a piddling little £10k or so back onto it to pay for the PPL is not a big deal.

The500man
10th May 2011, 19:56
Actually I did work at McDonald's when I was 16/17 and it was maybe one or two months after I started that the star system was abolished. Apparently it had something to do with human rights and the recognition of incompetence. So instead we had little pin badges symbolising our achievements and the staff that were incompetent had no visible lack of anything.

FlyingKiwi_73
10th May 2011, 20:07
Do what i did mate, fly gliders for 10 years in a very on and off fashion, get a ball crippling incredibly busy job in London which pays really well, never fly again because sleep becomes a priority. Do this until at 35 you realise you are burnt out, chuck it all in and go back to NZ. Drive directly to the nearest aeroclub and spend the next 5 months flying until you get a handshake from the CFI.Its the 168 step plan!

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2011, 20:11
Actually I did work at McDonald's when I was 16/17 and it was maybe one or two months after I started that the star system was abolished. Apparently it had something to do with human rights and the recognition of incompetence. So instead we had little pin badges symbolising our achievements and the staff that were incompetent had no visible lack of anything.

When I worked for the RAF our base had an inspection visit one day from a Group Captain Caterer. We had great fun in the mess over lunch that day trying, out of his earshot!, to work out how many stars that was worth in McDonalds.

but the sydicate is a great idea, thanks!

It is, I'm currently in my 4th and 5th syndicates.

Depends what sort of syndicate you join, but it is entirely possible, once you've paid your initial share, to pay half per hour what you do renting, rather less if you are prepared to join a really cheap syndicate on a permit aeroplane / microlight.

G

Unusual Attitude
11th May 2011, 07:54
Have you considered an Air Cadets VGS that operate the Vigilant (Grob 109B) ?

Pitch up, work hard, be keen and you'll start getting some free flying, stick with it and after a while you'll find yourself able to take cadets on Famil flights and eventually instruct.

You'll also make a lot of new friends and enjoy a great social scene if its still anything like my old VGS.....!

Regards

UA

miroc
11th May 2011, 08:46
So more begging, stealing and borrowing for me then, unless there is a wealthy man/women on here that would like a toy boy, muhaha.

If hereI knew I should of worked at McDonald's, would of had atleast 2 stars by now http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

If this is the top of invention in UK, so help you God...:ugh:
Do we see the last days of western civilisation??

If somebody here in Central/Eastern Europe want to be better off, starts his own business. Do the same. Work!!

Miroc

The Heff
11th May 2011, 09:08
If this is the top of invention in UK, so help you God...:ugh:
Do we see the last days of western civilisation??

Not sure where invention comes into it?

There is an easier way to make a quick buck for flying; join either the Royal Naval Reserves, Territorial Army or RAF Reserves, get deployed to somewhere exciting and spend all the money you've made on removing the rust in your flying.

Probably be better off in the TA, actually, because the RNR aren't looking to mobilise for some time now, and I'm not sure what the RAF Reserves do! Although you'll probably be sent to the 'stan rather than somewhere exciting.

ADB25
11th May 2011, 09:57
"Do the same. Work!!"

I do work, it seems it's all I do. The girlfriend, car, house and most other living expenses have a good way of keeping flying at the bottom of my financial priority list!

The500man
11th May 2011, 10:30
The girlfriend, car, house and most other living expenses have a good way of keeping flying at the bottom of my financial priority list!

You're doing it wrong!

ADB25
11th May 2011, 10:34
Hah..! You try telling the boss at home that ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
11th May 2011, 11:08
The girlfriend, car, house and most other living expenses have a good way of keeping flying at the bottom of my financial priority list!
Your choice then. Others make other choices, for example it's not unknown to see pilots cycling to the airfield because their money goes on flying not on running a car.

ADB25
11th May 2011, 11:13
Cycling to work, 30 miles each way, good idea!

Intercepted
11th May 2011, 11:27
The girlfriend, car, house and most other living expenses have a good way of keeping flying at the bottom of my financial priority list! The priorities above is your personal choice, not your girlfriends or anyone elses. I'm on an avarage income, have a girlfriend, living expenses and a car and I can still fly at least once a week (usually more).

My girlfriend is a modern lady with her own income and she would never expect me to pay for any of her expenses in life. My car is worth £500 and my living expenses is kept low since I rarely buy any new clothes or feel that I have any need to upgrade to latest flat screen tv or leather sofa to impress on my friends and neighbours.

A and C
11th May 2011, 12:09
The Heff as make the statment that you should join the RNR, RAFVR or TA.

Apart from the extra money that this would give you it will also give you access to the RAF flying club in your area, being non proffit clubs they offer flying at a very inexpensive rate and as a lot of the instructors are ex-forces aircrew the standards are very high.

RAF Flying Clubs' Association (RAFFCA) - Homepage (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs)

The500man
11th May 2011, 12:37
My car is worth £500

Wow extravagent! Mine cost me £350.

Cycling to work, 30 miles each way, good idea!

I wouldn't fancy driving 60 miles a day at £1.37 p/l either!

FirstOfficer
11th May 2011, 12:48
Greetings,

Funding (my case for training) is never easy, especially now that the cost of flying is so high together with cost of day to day life which is on the up too.
I always try to to set aside a percentage of my monthly income (not always possible) but I rely on overtime to keep my flying fund ticking along and again it is not always a garantee that overtime will be available.

I have made a mistake (they say we learn with our mistakes :ugh: ), when I was younger, working full time, still living with my parents and when flying was cheaper, I did not take advantage of the conditions, now I have to count the £££ for flying.

So, I still need a bit more overtime so I can re-start flying lessons, once PPL is over it will be another headache to fund for the pleasure of flying. :rolleyes: But in the end it is worth it. :)

ADB25
11th May 2011, 16:21
you should join the RNR, RAFVR or TA.

This seems interesting, I shall look into it, Thanks!

since I rarely buy any new clothes or feel that I have any need to upgrade to latest flat screen tv or leather sofa to impress on my friends and neighbours

Is that the only reason people buy 'nice' things now days?

The500man
11th May 2011, 16:43
Is that the only reason people buy 'nice' things now days?

I just bought some new clothes... but only because my washing machine broke down last week and my landlord arranged for the replacement to arrive later this week! Having said that, the girl at work has already noticed I'm not wearing my usual rags! ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
11th May 2011, 18:07
my washing machine broke down last week and my landlord arranged for the replacement to arrive later this week
Not unreasonable - when our tenants' stuff breaks we get it sorted as fast as we would if it were our own, but we don't spend extra to get it sorted any faster than that.