PDA

View Full Version : Sandstorms

TrT
10th May 2011, 06:50
I have studied the nature and formation of sandstorms, but it is better to hear from people that have experienced them. So I ask other ppruners for some tips with dealing with them. Bear in mind our operation is low level helicopter work and far away from airports etc. We also do not have very up to date weather reports in our location.

NZ X man
10th May 2011, 08:41
Well heck, they can bring the visability down to zero, close the airport, and know matter how tight you have the jet buttoned up, sand gets in, not just any sand but a sand that is so fine it is like dust. Kind of neat to watch them show up, but not when you 10 kilometers out for landing.

mutt
10th May 2011, 16:11
I have studied the nature and formation of sandstorms I have seen severe sand storms with 6kts of wind, and airports going from CAVOK to 50 meters in minutes, so i think that the best advise is to avoid them like the plague.

A Pprune search will show a discussion on a BBJ (737-400) that suffered a DOUBLE engine failure during takeoff, the managed to restart at least one engine and returned for landing, this was following a severe sandstorm, its interesting to note that this same aircraft now has condom style engine covers!

Mutt