PDA

View Full Version : most basic aviation GPS for backup work

Plasmech
9th May 2011, 20:48
I am looking to buy a very basic (i.e. inexpensive), simple aviation-able GPS to have with me as a backup to pilotage, dead reckoning, and radio navigation. Does anybody have any suggestions on such a unit? It can be as simple as to just give me a heading to a waypoint (say, my home-base airport) and a distance, or even just an arrow that points toward the waypoint. The only stipulation is that it has to work (get good reception) and be reliable (understanding that it will not be as reliable as an IFR certified GPS unit). Hoping to get some good suggestions. Thanks guys/gals!

-Plas

BackPacker
9th May 2011, 21:17
First of all, all GPSs work in an aviation environment. What makes an aviation GPS unique is the ability to hold a database with not just waypoints, but also airspace structures and various details about these. Plus vertical navigation, in some cases.

If you just want a "find your way home" GPS, you can just get any ol' outdoor GPS and put your home airport in there as a waypoint using its lat/long coordinates from the AIP/AFD/whatever (or simply press "Mark" when standing on the apron).

In fact, this is exactly what I'm using when I'm not navigating by map, compass and stopwatch. I've got a Garmin eTrex Euro (the cheapest, least capable of the eTrex series, but it was the only one available when I bought it over 10 years ago). It's manually filled with all the aviation waypoints that I could find in the area that's relevant for me (airports, VRPs, various beacons) and I simply use one of those as a "direct to" waypoint, or string a bunch of those together to create a route.

I did get the data cable and use OziExplorer with the Jeppesen VFR maps to make the process of loading waypoints and routes a bit easier though.

The eTrex Euro (or the US equivalent, which is exactly the same but has words instead of pictograms for the knobs) can be had new for well short of 100 USD, and second-hand for maybe 50 or so.

The standard caution about using GPSs as backup navigation tools does apply though: If your GPS has been living in your flight bag without being turned on regularly, or if you have moved a significant distance since it was last turned on, it may take as much as FIFTEEN MINUTES before you get a reliable fix. So, ironically, you will want to turn the GPS on before you get into trouble.:bored:

(And make sure you've got some spare batteries with you. The eTrex uses two AA batteries so just throw a pack of alkaline AAs in your flight bag and you'll be fine for the next ten years.)

Croqueteer
9th May 2011, 21:25
:ok:If you can plug it into the a/c power, a good old Garmin 55AVD is a superb navigator. You should get one for about £50.

IO540
9th May 2011, 21:29
As BP says, one cannot really use a GPS as a get you out of trouble box because when you turn it on, it will take potentially ages to get a fix.

A GPS has to be running constantly throughout the flight.

If you want to "play traditional pilot" and not look at it, that's up to you.

That said, get yourself a GPS which runs an aviation moving map. The £150 Aware unit is pretty good. If your budget is bigger, get something with a bigger screen but which still runs the same "printed" VFR map.

cct
9th May 2011, 22:02
Dont think the Aware unit would do much in the old US of A

peterc005
9th May 2011, 22:16
If you have an iPhone, download the AirNav Pro app ($30).

It is an air nav app that uses the iphone's GPS and works well. Has decent flight planning and moving map functionality.

I also downloaded the VTC and WAC maps for $9 each.

Only downside is the battery life, so I bought a battery booster and will add an USB socket in the plane.

flybymike
9th May 2011, 23:22
I am looking to buy a very basic (i.e. inexpensive), simple aviation-able GPS to have with me as a backup to pilotage, dead reckoning, and radio navigation.

If I were you I would use a decent GPS for primary nav, and relegate the other three for back up.

Whopity
10th May 2011, 07:48
Whilst I agree with Socal, the simplest GPS solution is a telephone with GPS built in. It will always give you a Lat and Long which you can transpose to whatever aviation chart you are using. If you can't find your way home from there, then you shouldn't be flying.

24Carrot
10th May 2011, 08:33
Not quite the question you asked, but an eTrex on the back seat will record your track very nicely. After Nav flights, download the track and find out where you really were:O

1800ed
10th May 2011, 12:29
Providing you can plug your GPS into the a/c power, I'd recommend getting a Windows CE powered GPS device from Ebay. You can pick up the Aware unit for somewhere in the region of £30-£50, but there are lots of alternatives on there.

Then, budget dependant, you have some choice over what you install on it. If you just want a map then Memory Map will suffice. But for planning and plotting routes you could go for SkyDemon Mobile which lets you plan on your PC and then transfer that onto your GPS. You can also create routes on the fly using your GPS.

Johnm
10th May 2011, 14:27
As you are USA based look out for a Garmin Pilot III or 196 on e-bay and they'll do what you want and a lot more besides and should be very cheap now.