PDA

View Full Version : Two Wokkas just now in trail over Nottingham

Ex Cargo Clown
9th May 2011, 14:25
From the North and turning west toward the University.

Any ideas?

Not usual to see that around here!

Boxer42
9th May 2011, 14:44
Didn't see them but heard and felt them!!!

I'm not far from the Uni and from peoples reactions near the windows I'd guess they were pretty low so may be have been heading towards Chetwynd Barracks just a couple of miles further West.

EOSM37
9th May 2011, 15:36
Go on then what is a wokka? How could you feel them if you couldn't see them? Are they some sort of stealth machine?

Unchecked
9th May 2011, 18:25
I reckon they going from somewhere, to somewhere, via the sky.

mixture
9th May 2011, 19:12
Go on then what is a wokka?

A Chinook

How could you feel them if you couldn't see them?

You've obviously never lived / worked / visited somewhere that happens to be under their occasional / frequent flightpath.

Very distinctive sound and associated vibrations which seem to penetrate everywhere..... :cool:

Take a look at the YouTube videos, obviously nothing like experiencing the real thing, but you might get an idea about the sound pattern and why they are called wokkas.

Really annoyed
9th May 2011, 19:25
EO it's not cool to say Chinook. You have to say wokka on here, it sounds better. Saying Chinook would be akin to wearing your Burberry baseball cap on straight and the right way round. So uncool and chavvy.

Abbey Road
9th May 2011, 20:14
Isn't this something that should really be in Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner)? :rolleyes:

air pig
9th May 2011, 20:44
Maybe same two who where over liverpool earlier.

Air pig

mixture
9th May 2011, 21:13
EO it's not cool to say Chinook. You have to say wokka on here, it sounds better

I tend to say something else if I'm trying to watch telly and one flies overhead. :p

BBadanov
9th May 2011, 23:59
airliner just flew over my house...any ideas? :ugh:

Boxer42
10th May 2011, 11:36
EOSM37 "How could you feel them if you couldn't see them?"

Maybe I'm blind?

Or maybe I sit in an office which hasn't got a glass ceiling?

And as mixture said, they do tend to make things vibrate when they are low enough.

And it wasn't me who called them a Wokka.

But thanks for your input.

NutLoose
10th May 2011, 11:44
They actually crossed over EGNX, watched them go over.... always called them Chinooks myself along with several other words, but hey, I was on them when they were brand spanking new. :ooh:

;)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/240OCUBridgeofLochOichFL.jpg

Noah Zark.
10th May 2011, 11:44
Cargo,
Presumably the same two tracking south over Sheffield, approx 15.00hrs.