PDA

View Full Version : Starting off - Medical & PPL

clarkeysntfc
9th May 2011, 14:10
Hi Everyone, newbie here.

I'm just beginning my quest to get my PPL, and was wondering if any of you could impart any advice.

Firstly, I'll need my class 2 medical. Does anyone recommend choosing any medical person specifically, or just pick one from the CAA website?

Secondly, assuming I pass the medical, I've been researching flight schools in my area, and many seem to be at Cranfield airport. Is that a good place to go?

I live near Milton Keynes, but have easy access by car to Northants, Bucks, Beds.

Thanks!
James

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2011, 15:20
Not too far from you, and well regarded, you could do worse than Dr. David Cranston in Harpenden, tel 01582-764673; most people at Cranfield use him, and I'm fairly sure he can do a class 2 initial (he does my annual class 1 renewal).

G

ADB25
9th May 2011, 15:25
Any medical examiner will do.

Just get yourself in the air!!!

Good luck :ok:

Winhern
9th May 2011, 18:54
I'm just wondering why you're in such a hurry to take your medical.

You do not need a medical until you fly solo. You'll normally need at least 15 hours before you are allowed to go solo. (And most schools want you to pass your air law exam as well). Unless you are going to cram your lessons this is likely to take several months.

Since your medical only lasts a fixed period, it would therefore be better not to book it until after you have started circuit training. Your instructor will normally suggest when it is time to arrange a medical.

mad_jock
9th May 2011, 19:00
Well as an instructor I start nagging to get the medical as soon as they turn up for the first lesson. And also if they don't get the medical it means they don't waste money on having lessons if they don't have to.

I also tell them to get the finger out and start studying for HP and Airlaw.

Alan_D
9th May 2011, 20:38
James,
Cranfield is worth a look, but expensive in my experience.

Also not too far from you is RAF Halton, (where I learnt and fly from) who *do* take civilian members for training and are one of the cheapest places to learn from in the country.
PM me if you'd like any further info.

Alan.

cirrusdancer
10th May 2011, 08:49
I did my training at Cranfield when I lived in Linslade, definitely easy to get to but can get busy during the week. Weekends it's like a graveyard, probably due to those expensive landing fees.

You don't give any idea of your age, but if you're over 40 it's worth getting the Class 2 out of the way. If you fail it for any reason then you know you're on the NPPL route, though it doesn't affect the first 20 or so lessons in any way.
Certainly doesn't give you an exemption from Air Law :(

Vortex81
10th May 2011, 09:46
I did my medical first, my reason being was, that I wanted to be sure I'd pass for the solo stage. To be honest, it was more over thinking than anything else, as I'm reasonably fit anyway and rather active. The doctor gave me a certificate that will last for 5 years. I used the CAA website to find an approved Doctor in my area.

Also worth looking at Wycombe Air Park for your training.

clarkeysntfc
10th May 2011, 09:57
Thanks for all the replies everyone :ok:

The reason I'm keen to get the medical done is because I'm slightly hard of hearing (wear a hearing aid, but not industrial sized!) and I want to be sure i'll pass before spending any money on flight training. I'm 25 years of age so everything else should be alright (I hope) but it's just that issue I want to resolve.

I actually wanted to be an airline pilot, but upon sending my audiogram to the CAA they advised that my hearing wasn't of sufficient standard to meet the tougher Class 1 medical, and they wouldn't allow for correction by hearing aid.

Regarding Finances, I'm expecting to fork out around £5-6k for a PPL from beginning to end, would you say that's reasonable?

Vortex81
10th May 2011, 10:07
5 to 6k is pretty cheap actually. So to put your mind at rest, go for your class 2 medical. The hearing test for one of those is pretty easy, there's I think only 6 tones you have to listen to, so it's not even a full on hearing test.

Fuji Abound
10th May 2011, 10:20
I would very much agree with the other posts - get your medical done.

While very few people "fail" it would be a great shame to embark on what is after all a reasonable financial committment to find that you cant go solo.

Good luck.

Edited to add - can you do a PPL for that sum in the UK these days? It seems to me the average time taken is around 55 to 60 hours which at £120 per hour equates to more, and then there are the usual "extras". I guess even a 152 is around that these days depending on base landing fees and instructor rates.

The Old Fat One
10th May 2011, 16:35
Regarding Finances, I'm expecting to fork out around £5-6k for a PPL from beginning to end, would you say that's reasonable?

A school many hundreds of miles north of you used to offer a fully inclusive PPL for £5K (about three years ago).

Shortly before that outfit went belly up (in glorious technicolour on pprune) they had a couple of major league stoochies with studes who perhaps had been been "short-changed" a wee bitty in the old training department.

Given that the price of fuel has gone by about 30 to 40 percent since then, I'm thinking that anybody offering you a PPL for 5K is going to....

a. Stuff you every which way with add-ons (we call that compulsory up-selling) including lots of extra double price "remedial" hours.

b. Take your money and head for the Carribean.

c. Both of the above.

Caveat Emptor....due diligence....do your homework....negotiate like a B*****d (it's a buyers market) and if you pay anything up front make sure it is on a "covered" credit card.

mad_jock
10th May 2011, 17:15
Its not only the fuel that has gone throught the roof but also the EASA bollocks adding to costs as well eg replacing perfectly good seat belts on a life limit.

The cheapest I know of in the UK is 6.5k and that will be going up soon to over 7k.

Conventional Gear
10th May 2011, 17:17
I know a couple of pilots with hearing aids, should be fine for a Class 2 and I'm sure if not it could be sorted out. I've had several little hiccups with my health but have maintained my Class 2 throughout thanks to my AME.

I would budget nearer 10K for the PPL in today's money, though I did learn on a PA-28 which cost a bit more than a 152.

mad_jock
10th May 2011, 17:20
O aye and personally if I was setting out just now to learning to fly I wouldn't be doing a PPL if it was purely for pleasure.

It would either be gliding or microlights

gingernut
10th May 2011, 20:46
but it's just that issue I want to resolve.

It's worth getting an early assessment, although it does have to be said that the hearing tests for Class 2 medicals are quite "relaxed."

In fact, you may have to speak up, as you'll find that several AME's do have some degree of presbyacusis:)

Enjoy your flying, it's a great time of year for it.

clarkeysntfc
15th May 2011, 17:33
Thanks very much for the responses so far. :ok:

I'll do some more 'intense' research and price haggling once I've got the medical over with.