PDA

View Full Version : PPL infringed Heathrow CTR in 1990 - remember me ?!

Kyprianos Biris
1st Apr 2001, 13:42
First post in PPRUNE (excellent organization)
-------
(Subject should read 1991 sorry !)

Its 22nd March 1991 on a PA28R200 flight from Bristol EGGD to Stapleford EGSG 1830L (night already) with 102 hours (+IMC , Night, Multi ratings) in my experience as a UK PPL holder.

Its rainy with some low cloud and turbulence and I am coming back with 3 friends on board.

I was not in contact with any ATC when I was approaching the NW tip of Heathrow's CTR. The plan was to follow a NE track from a VOR (can't remember now !) and when intercepting LAM Track 090 to turn right for stapleford thus keeping clear of Heathrow's zone.

After the turn I realized that I had set my VOR to LAM track 080 (or less - can't remember now) instead of 090 which meant that by then I was already in the Heathrow zone !

The (rain and turbulence)was pouring hard and I kept somewhere around 1500~2000 ft to remain visual while passengers were a bit worried but still trusted me !

Straight away I turned left to North and when I made sure (by VOR) that I was clear of Heathrow area I turned back East for Stapleford.

I never contacted Heathrow VFR (119.90 I think it was) beacause I was ashamed but kept squawk 4321 (UK VFR code back then) all the way to Stapleford.

On arrival an Essex Police car was waiting for me with a message to Call Heathrow chief ATC for the details and also to make sure they (Police) keep my details.

On the phone call with the "chief" at Heathrow I explained the situation and although he was quite hard on his words towards me , he stated that he would not take further action and asked me to be very carefull in the future.

I had (as he said) approached Heathrow as close as 3 miles with a VFR code at ~2000ft (had ALT encoding ON) while a 757 was held still on 27L for about 1 minute for its takeoff clearance.

At that point they saw on radar that I turned directly North thus figuring out what had happened :-)

So the question ... does anybody from here rememeber anything or was he/she on watch that day ?

The aircraft was G-IPJC

------------------

------------------------
Kyprianos Biris
[email protected]
Athens, Greece
------------------------

[This message has been edited by Kyprianos Biris (edited 01 April 2001).]

Jetdriver
1st Apr 2001, 15:14
And you want to remind them of this ?

greg1
2nd Apr 2001, 14:04
Kyp,

better post this question in the ATC forum, although Jet is probably right: are you sure you want them Heathrow ATC to remember and, more importantly, what happens if the 757 crew DO remember? ;)

------------------
------------------------
(Th)ink Rate! Don't (Th)ink! Don't (Th)ink!

Doors to Automatic
2nd Apr 2001, 17:57
Hi Kyp,

I remember you telling me this story at our interview for Cranfield in 1993 and it was great to see you in Birmingham last November.

Welcome to Pprune - great forum but some of the contributors take themselves far too seriously!

Take care.

greg1
3rd Apr 2001, 13:48
Just found this thread for you in the ATC forum, for a similar situation:

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum6/HTML/000914.html

(Also helping you to keep this post current) :)

------------------
------------------------
(Th)ink Rate! Don't (Th)ink! Don't (Th)ink!