PDA

View Full Version : Logging P1 with Safety Pilot

ATIS31
8th May 2011, 18:22
Hi If a PPL holder has a Medical restriction which requires a safety Pilot can he or she still log flying with a safety pilot as P1 ?

Regards

S-Works
8th May 2011, 19:23
Safety pilot is not P1. Safety pilot logs nothing unless the P1 is incapacitated and takes over the remainder of the flight............

dirkdj
8th May 2011, 19:25
Don't you think the safety pilot is a required crew member in this case?

Gertrude the Wombat
8th May 2011, 19:31
My understanding of the paperwork I received from the CAA was that the whole point of a medical restriction requiring a safety pilot was that the holder of the medical restriction could log P1.

Otherwise, what's the point in such a document? It would be simpler to just refuse the medical, in which case the pilot could continue to fly as a passenger and log nothing, if that's what they wanted.

(In my case I just went and got an NPPL declaration instead.)

ATIS31
8th May 2011, 19:38
So the pilot with the medical restriction can still log P1 ?

Whopity
8th May 2011, 20:06
Have you tried reading the Medical Restriction; it states a condition under which you can act as Pilot in Command

BillieBob
8th May 2011, 20:18
Don't you think the safety pilot is a required crew member in this case? Yes, a supernumary crew member - IEM No.1 to JAR-FCL 1.035 states, "Unless you have to take over the controls you are supernumerary and cannot log any flying time. You should be checked out and current on the aircraft. It must have dual controls and you must be licensed to fly in the proposed airspace and conditions."