PDA

View Full Version : Ulcerative Colitis and Class 1 Medical

Ronaldsway Radar
7th May 2011, 16:01
Evening all,

I have searched through the forums and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of recent information regarding this topic.

I suffer from quite a bad dose of Ulcerative Colitis, which unfortunately has hospitalized me once or twice over the past 10 years.

Does anybody who flies at present, or is in the process of training suffer from Colitis, and are you able to advise on if airlines have their own policy on employing sufferers of the condition?

Has anybody been refused a Class 1 due to the condition?

Many thanks

gingernut
7th May 2011, 19:55
I think UC and Crohns has been discussed before here, so it maybe worth a search.

I suspect that in all cases of inflammatory bowel disease, the AME will be interested in the quality of diagnosis, and the frequency and intensity of exacerbations.:) And what treatment you're on.

From memory, it's not an automatic disqualification to flying.

Daysleeper
8th May 2011, 06:50
Try

this thread from 2009 (http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/368865-crohns-remicade-medical-class-1-a.html)

And this one from 2007 (http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/291727-can-i-obtain-medical-bowel-disease.html)

and this one (http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/331593-crohns-disease.html) with some regulatory stuff from 2008.

I wrote this on the 2009 Crohn's thread

Whether I would start an aviation career knowing I had Chron's I'm not sure. I was already working when it manifested itself and as I have little other skills beyond flying I either got back to it or ended up on the dole - big motivation! Medicals are always the weakest point for any pilot so best advice - find a backup plan!

Usual cautions apply - I'm not a doctor, everything I say must be taken with a pinch of salt etc.

PS the original question was about Remicide - dunno is the answer. I'd suggest getting a specific answer from a National Aviation Authority before outlaying too much cash!

I think that bit is just as relevant now.

Ronaldsway Radar
8th May 2011, 14:19
Thank you for the responses so far.

Indeed I have read the historic posts mentioned above, however regulations are of course subject to change, especially with the regular advances in medication.

Backup plan definately seems worthwhile!

Thanks again

Ronaldsway Radar
3rd Aug 2012, 18:19
Thought I would update for future reference.

After recently obtaining my initial Class 1 (thank heavens), I asked the AME what his minimum conditions would be for issuing a Class 1 to a sufferer of UC.

He advised that his expectations would be that no symptoms are currently being experienced and that the condition is under control either without medication; or with medication that meets the relevant requirements - I didn't go into these as personally I don't require any.

He also advised that the applicant should have had no hospital visits lasting longer than 24 hours for 12 months + .

Should symptoms resume it is, as one might imagine, the responsibility of the license holder to ground themselves, and to subsequently contact the Aeromedical Section of the CAA.

I hope this is of some use!

gingernut
3rd Aug 2012, 20:22
Thanks for the update RR, we'll etch it on the memory banks for future enquiries :-)

Great news about the medical.

Sa341
3rd Aug 2012, 21:28
Hi

I am a class 1 holder of both JAR and FAA medicals and have Crohns. In addition other devices - you just need the right people around - if you need help then drop me a line.

Cheers

flychicago787
14th Nov 2017, 03:29
Hello,
I have ulcerative colitis my doctor told me that I should be good to fly all I need is to stay in remission.
But I would like to get in touch with pilots that suffer from this condition and see how they manage this disease.

Starkfly
4th Apr 2022, 17:47
Hello,
I have ulcerative colitis my doctor told me that I should be good to fly all I need is to stay in remission.
But I would like to get in touch with pilots that suffer from this condition and see how they manage this disease.

Hey i have also colitis Ulcerosa and i want to begin with the PPL H. So now in your case it is 5 year ago, how do you manage the aviation life with the CU?
BR

PPRuNe Towers
4th Apr 2022, 19:31
flychicago787 (https://www.pprune.org/members/473322-flychicago787) hasn't ever logged in since the day he posted in 2017.

Rob PPRuNe Admin

Starkfly
5th Apr 2022, 10:32
Rob PPRuNe Admin
Ok, thx for notifying me👍🏻

Dunregulatin
6th Apr 2022, 14:08
Not aviation linked, but it is worth mentioning that there is is a national charity offering support and advice.
" Crohns and Colitis UK"
My son is a sufferer and we have found them useful in the past.
Apologies that I'm not smart enough to find a proper link but I'm sure most of you are!

Starkfly
6th Apr 2022, 14:29
Hey, thanks for your input. U will check it out. Is it just for UK citizens or for general around the world people?