PDA

View Full Version : Training in South Africa

aged
31st Mar 2001, 14:15
Has anyone any experience of training in South Africa up to CPL level? Good? Cheap?Who with?
Also, is there any work available for a Brit in southern Africa if you went to CPL IR level there?

Speedbird252
1st Apr 2001, 00:49
South Africa as I hear is a bit of a minefield - training wise. As with most countries, there are good and bad places. You need to also think about what you want to do after your PPL/CPL as a SA license used to be no good in alot of countries, England included. Not sure what the score is now.

Coupled with the obvious political unrest - Florida is nice at this time of year......

Speedbird252
1st Apr 2001, 00:54
aged, go to avasp.com (might be avasp.co.uk)

It will tell you everything you need to know about flying in SA, and the rest of the world - and there plenty of places to choose from!!

Good luck.

PingPong
1st Apr 2001, 16:50
aged

Post this in the Africa forum and you will get all the advice you need! People in the Dark Continent, using internet cafes, don't have time to look at all forums and will often skip this one.

Good luck.

aged
4th Apr 2001, 13:04
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know before about the current problems with SA licences that is a hot topic in the African forum.

Chunks
6th Apr 2001, 02:37
Whats wrong with South African pilots licences? I hold a South African PPL, the text books we use are Trevor Thom books. If you look at the back of the Trevor Thom books, they give a break down of the British PPL examination, which is virtually exactly the same as the South African PPL exam.

Besides the fact is many South African pilots are often poached by well known foreign airlines. Plus I know a South African pilot who is now working Belgium. So whats wrong with our qualifications?

PingPong
7th Apr 2001, 14:19
Chunks

Nothing wrong with the qualifications at all.

Trouble is that when some intellectually challenged people get caught 'buying' them, the question as to how many others did the same rears its ugly head.

Now we have a situation where people are a bit suspect of the SA ATPL.

It used to be commonplace to illegally buy your driving licence in SA - no wonder the death toll on the roads is so bad. People are now extrapolating to safety in the sky.

What a pity, because the SA training is so good, and the standards are high.

The whole thing should have been stamped on 'hard', quickly and efficiently. It wasn't. The elected government let the people down; what's new in Africa!

[This message has been edited by PingPong (edited 07 April 2001).]