PDA

View Full Version : Dislocating Jaw

Prophead
6th May 2011, 13:34
Hi

So for as long as i remember my jaw has 'popped out' when I open my mouth fully. I assumed this was quite normal but after a visit to the doctor for an ear infection it appears it is not. He was very interested in it and said it was only the second he had ever seen but much more pronounced. He also said it could lead to arthiritis later in life.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone had anything done about it? Could it affect my class 1?

homonculus
7th May 2011, 09:55
As an anaesthetist I examine the temporomandibular joint of every patient. A clicking jaw is v common. a jaw that pops out and in is less common but not that unusual.

The reason is that this joint is very lax - basically 2 separate bones held together by a floppy capsule.

If it isnt causing you problems, leave well alone. Surgery on this joint is not straightforward and has less than ideal results. It should be reserved for patients with specific problems, most commonly pain, where conservative management has failed

gingernut
7th May 2011, 21:53
What does "popped out" mean?

Prophead
8th May 2011, 20:11
Thanks Homoculus,

I was thinking of just leaving it alone but the doctor had me worried about potential long term problems. I will see how it goes for another year or so.

When I say Popped out, basically I open my mouth fully and my jaw dislocates. I can feel it coming out of the joint and actually see it in a mirror.

homonculus
10th May 2011, 17:45
your GP may be worried about long term degeneration of the two parts of the bone that rub together, but in my experience this is not that common, takes many years, and then merely requires consideration of the operation you are trying to avoid in the first place!

Good party trick though!

BW

Mechta
10th May 2011, 20:23
My jaw clicks on the right hand side. I put it down to a hang gliding accident which resulted in a heavy blow to the left hand front of my jaw and knocked my teeth out of line. If I open my mouth more than about 1 1/4" I get a loud click in my right ear. It is possible the 'problem' was there before, of course, but I hadn't noticed it.

The only problem was when I had a job for a year that I hated (early 90s, not a lot of jobs to be had). I had an almost permanent ache in the joint which I put down to stress. Since then its not been a problem.

I'm sure mentioned it to my AME for my class 2 medical, but he didn't show any particular interest.

gingernut
10th May 2011, 20:25
If this matches your description temperomandibular joint dislocation - General Practice Notebook (http://gpnotebook.com/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20070324095417295600) the dentist may be your best friend, but don't pick one this smiley attends:}