PDA

View Full Version : L39 @ YTDN this weekend

VH-XXX
6th May 2011, 03:19
If anyone is interested in seeing an L39 up close and personal operating a large number of adventure flights, there will be one at Tooradin this weekend. Sure, it's not an FA18 but it should be appropriately noisy!

PS: for those that are wondering, yes the runway IS long enough for it :)

peterc005
6th May 2011, 06:22
What days/times will it be at YTDN?

Any idea of costs?

Weather won't be the best this weekend.

PyroTek
6th May 2011, 06:25
Is that the JetRide one by any chance?

Any idea of costs?
If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it :ok:

peterc005
6th May 2011, 06:40
Must be this place:

JetFighter Rides - Australia's Advanced Jet Fighter Operation Hunter Valley-Matty Johns Show (http://www.jetride.com.au/)

Seems to cost $2k for 20 minutes, which is a bit over the odds I think. Would have expected $1,200 to $1,500 an hour.

Allowing for time to take off, climb to 8,000ft, descend and land, there is not much time left out of 20 minutes.

VH-XXX
6th May 2011, 06:49
Fri, sat and sun with 50+ flights booked apparently. It's being run by Phillip Island helicopters but on Adrenaline I think. I think it's from the Hunter Valley but I'm really not sure.

PyroTek
6th May 2011, 06:56
XXX, Cessnock I think...:ok: (IF it is indeed the L-39 I think you are talking about)

Horatio Leafblower
6th May 2011, 10:02
Yep, 3 ex-Scone ratbags having more fun than could possibly be legal. :ok:

Gotta be a law against it somewhere :E

FRQ Charlie Bravo
6th May 2011, 12:14
20 minute adventure flight (https://www.adelaidewarbirds.com.au/?module=content&showContent=3) in one of these babies out of Goolwa 40 minutes south of Adelaide will set you back $2,400. Worth every penny!

FRQ CB

Chu Mai Huang
6th May 2011, 21:45
50+ flights?
that's 16+ per day, of about 25 mins each, non-stop, no refuelling time, no strap-in and cockpit briefing time, no start-up/shut downs, man those guys are going to be busy.:eek::ok:

VH-XXX
6th May 2011, 22:51
Actually I think it's 60 flights :-)

Around $6-7k in brake pads over the weekend. Who said aircraft were cheap to operate!

das Uber Soldat
7th May 2011, 02:38
I wouldn't like much to be in it the day the noise stops. ;)

T28D
7th May 2011, 03:07
Don't think you really need to worry about the engine the Ivchenco AI-25Tl is a remarkably robust if slightly fuel hungry engine over 6000 produced and TBO 4000 hours in military service.

mrdeux
7th May 2011, 03:19
Are the seats live? If not I wouldn't go anywhere near it. On the other hand of course, the average passenger should be nowhere near a live seat.

Jack Ranga
7th May 2011, 05:59
Cost?

It should be at an appropriate level that rewards the bloke for the considerable business risk they're undertaking (Insurance, maintenance, wages, profit)

You want to come home safe at the end of it all, pay them the money that it takes to provide a safe operation.

Two grand for what will be the experience of a lifetime for some people? Cheap at twice the price :ok:

das Uber Soldat
7th May 2011, 08:53
Its my understanding that none of the L39's operating in Australia have live seats.

Hence my comments about not wanting to be there when the noise stops.

I stand to be corrected of course.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
7th May 2011, 11:19
L39s seats in OZ are not live. Imagine the damage inflicted (even if the pilot is the one able to pull the curtain) on a passenger who is looking down or bending over emptying his/her lunch into the paper handbag.

HELP ME JEEBUS!

FRQ CB

VH-XXX
7th May 2011, 13:07
I was watching it take off today. Just imagined to myself a flameout 3/4 down the runway.... The pilot would be thinking "my legs, my legs" as there is not much in front of you when you hit something as you plough off the end.

in-cog-nito
8th May 2011, 01:57
How are the locals handling the extra noise? Usually the phone at the local flying school or Council will ring all day with complaints when a jet starts operating in the area.

Although they stop complaining when they see how extra business walks in from the jet clients and their families/onlookers wanting to buy lunch and petrol etc.

Hope it works well for them and they come back.

4by2withears
9th May 2011, 03:55
They may have robust Ivchenco engines, but nothing travels well after sitting on a rotten row in some Eastern European country for however long until someone puts it in a container and sends it to Aus ready for its flash paint job. As aeroplanes go they would make great coke cans.

FoxtrotAlpha18
9th May 2011, 04:44
The only non-military live bang seats in Australia are at Temora I think.

VH-XXX
9th May 2011, 04:47
Noise isn't an issue as all of the appropriate permits are held and good neighbours at an airport are certainly an advantage. I guess if they don't complain, then one day the airport might expand and pay them top dollar for their little cottage.

To answer your question about the live seats.... the passenger gets to wear a parachute :\