PDA

View Full Version : RAF pilots training with the RAAF

BroomstickPilot
5th May 2011, 17:51
Hi Guys,

Two or three years ago, I remember hearing on the radio one morning that an intake of RAF student pilots was to be sent to Australia to undergo their training with the RAAF.

At the time, it sounded like an experimental scheme to see if training might be cheaper/quicker in the more stable weather conditions available in Aussie. So it seemed to me to be quite a good idea.

After that, I heard nothing. Can anybody please tell me what happened to this scheme? Was the intake of pilot canididates I heard of the only one to be sent to Aussie, or did the scheme continue to run? Indeed, is it still going? If it was discontinued, why was this?

Regards,

BP.

RandomBlah
5th May 2011, 18:07
This was 10 Years ago. An intial batch of 10 was sent out followed a few months later by a further 5. The only reason for this occuring was the grounding of the Tucano fleet due to cracked rudder torque tubes and the potential lack of throughput through the FJ training system. In return the RAF trained a smaller number of australian pilots on RAF Hawks as at the same time they were having problems with their Hawk programme- no money changed hands. After the Tucanos were fixed there was no need to send out any other students.

BroomstickPilot
6th May 2011, 08:29
Hi RandomBlah,

Ten years ago!

I must be getting old.

Many thanks.

BP.