PDA

View Full Version : Keith Durbidge DFM DFC

The Original GF
5th May 2011, 11:12
Keith Durbidge former CFI at The Highland Aero Club Inverness and all round good chap passed away on Monday last.
Funeral at United Reform Church Nairn 13.30 Sunday May 8th.
Distinguished Flying Medal - 16 April 1943
1323273 Sergeant Keith DURBIDGE, No. 683 Squadron.
This airman has completed many missions. He has rendered excellent service, obtaining much valuable information often in the face of opposition both from enemy aircraft and ground defences. He has displayed skill, courage and determination of a high order.

DFC - 4 May 1945
Flight Lieutenant Keith DURBRIDGE*, D.F.M. (143999), R.A.F.V.R., 542 Sqn

*Note the spelling mistake in the DFC

Blue skys Keith.

OGF

The Old Fat One
5th May 2011, 12:03
Saw this and thought....why does this name ring a bell?

I checked a (very) old log book and saw that it was the Gentleman that gave me a few flying lessons at Inverness way back in '78. A very, very nice man.

He must have been some age...I thought he was in his sixties back then??

RIP

The Original GF
5th May 2011, 13:00
I believe Keith was 90.

OGF

LFFC
6th May 2011, 14:14
I’d like to send my condolences to Chris, the whole family and friends. I remember Keith’s hospitality and kindness with great affection.

wiggy
6th May 2011, 15:42
Only met Keith once, during a cunningly arranged JP Navigation detachment to Inverness in the late 80's, but condolences to Chris and the rest of the family from me as well.

eastern5709
16th May 2011, 13:11
I too flew with Keith when I first arrived in Inverness, he was the C F I at The Highland Aero Club, Dalcross. He used to tell the most amazing stories of his flying exploits and how he flew photo recce Spitfires, he always told me he had never flown a Spit in anger and was always unarmed! I believe he was 92 yrs old and had been in a nursing home in Nairn, the aviation world has lost a true character and an absolute gentleman, my condolences to his family.

cap.pulitov
21st May 2011, 18:44
Keith was the reasoning behind my decision to come to the Highlands and get my UK Licences in 1987..!! Last saw him in Nairn in MAR 10 before leaving for the ME..He joines Bunty after 12 months without her..He will be sorley missed by all who were in contact with him over the past 80 years plus..He was just short of his 90th by a couple weeks.