PDA

View Full Version : The Last World War 1 Vet gone, a moment passes in history

ozbiggles
5th May 2011, 04:05
The Australian Newspaper reports the last known WW I combat vet, Claude Choules RN, RAN, has passed away aged 110.
Lest we forget

tarantonight
5th May 2011, 06:10
Rest in peace Old Boy.

BBC News - Last WWI combat veteran Claude Choules dies aged 110 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13289607)

TN.

5th May 2011, 08:12
End of an era for sure.

RIP

NDW
5th May 2011, 10:55
R.I.P.
You served your country proudly.

Flyingblind
5th May 2011, 11:13
As he said "Geeze look at me at 90! after all i done and seen....how would you have thought...(him one of the last standing) me!"

RIP.

Fareastdriver
5th May 2011, 17:41
It always surprises me that he was the last. Of the tens of thousands of young men who had their eighteenth birthday in 1918 and therefore qualified to fight in the trenches so few have survived to the present day. One would have thought that out of that number there would have been a few more that could crack 110 years.

Not that I will.

Geehovah
5th May 2011, 17:46
Words can't possibly say enough

RIP

Vim_Fuego
5th May 2011, 20:02
I thought it was uplifting when I heard a recent recording of him on the news today saying 'I've had a wonderful life...If I had to live it over again I wouldn't change a thing that I have done' or words very close...

Simply superb and rest in peace.

Sven Sixtoo
5th May 2011, 20:50
This is an important moment.

The 20th century was both disastrous and enhancing for mankind. Of the three most significant events (WW1, WW2 and the Moon landing) one has now passed into history.

The keeping of evidential records now becomes of even greater importance. Our last chance to take original information is gone.

And we are all diminished by the loss of one who has seen and done so much.

Iain

nice castle
6th May 2011, 01:24
Vim, let's hope all the rest of us can say a similar thing when we are old, eh?:D

The last of a breed, but the inspiration will live on.