PDA

View Full Version : Weight and Balance

The Crimson Fruitbat
29th Mar 2002, 10:21
After some info please for for some lateral studies (I'm an Air Traffic Controller not a pilot).. .. .I want to know how to calculate weight and balance for an aircraft and a kind soul in the cargo transport world sent me:. .. . </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> Aircraft weight and Balance is calculated by multiplying the weight of each item by its arm or location in the aircraft from the reference datum. The resulting moments are all added up together with the aircrafts moment and then divided by the gross weight which then provides a CofG in inches which is the converted into % MAC (Mean Aerodynamic Chord). This number must fall within a narrow envelope specific to the aircraft type and gross weight and must also be within limits for landing. As fuel burns off CofG moves forward or aft depending on aircraft type and fuel tank shape etc. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> Can anyone shed anymore light using as an example an aircraft you are familiar with (turbine preferred)? The paragraph above gives me what, now I am after how.. .. .Thanks a bunch and a safe Easter to all.

Cyclic Hotline
29th Mar 2002, 10:42
Try this source. It's from FAA AC 43-13 and explains the process pretty nicely. Not a turbine aircraft, but the principles remain the same.. .. . <a href="http://av-info.faa.gov/dst/43-13/Ch_10-01.doc" target="_blank">FAA AC43-13</a> . .. . <a href="http://av-info.faa.gov/dst/43-13/Ch_10-02.doc" target="_blank">Chapter 10-02</a>

The Crimson Fruitbat
29th Mar 2002, 23:33
Thanks Cyclic Hotline, your a bloody legend. Presuming you are a pilot I hope the airline upheaval Dunnunda has passed you by without any negative impact on your career.. .. .Could be worse, you could be here in Canada...they only have one national major (AC) and it can't return a profit!! . .. .Gawd I miss Oz (ex-YPDN ATC). . .. .Cheers!!