PDA

View Full Version : First big milestone: first solo and written out of the way (!)

Plasmech
3rd May 2011, 14:37
Well, I have reached a milestone / turning point in my training. Not only is my first solo under my belt, but I took the FAA written exam on Sunday (95%). This really feels like a turning point in the training. I've also fulfilled my 3 hours of foggles work, finished that up yesterday. Thanks to all on the forum who have answered the many questions I've asked and helped me get to this point.

From here on out, I *believe* there are mainly three things left:

1. build up my crosswind landing limit (currently around maybe 5 knots max)
2. do the dual and solo cross county work
3. practice/review for the check-ride

Did I miss anything in that list? I've already done short & soft field landings, fulfilling that lesson on the syllabus. I also need to build up my solo time.

I posted a while back that my instructor keeps interfering with the controls. This is still a major problem. I'm not sure what to do without things getting ugly. His feet feel like concrete blocks on the rudder pedals, so much so that my right leg gets very tired. I wish he would understand that I NEED CONTROL OF THE DAMN AIRCRAFT! During my solo, it was SO much easier to use the rudders. Grrrrr....this is really, REALLY annoying, still.

Wibblemonster
3rd May 2011, 14:57
Ask him nicely if he wouldn't mind getting the fook off the rudder pedals? ;)

moreflaps
4th May 2011, 10:43
I once took a long x-country with an instructor who "relaxed" with his feet on the pedals. From time to time he would shift in his seat by pressing against the rudder pedals. When I asked him for the second time to take his feet off the pedals he apologized and said he did not know he was doing it... I said, "when I'm flying the plane check you feet are flat on the floor as mine are when you are flying the plane -rudder pedals are not footrests". That seemed to solve the problem.

You could try saying,"It has been suggested to me that in a non-emergency that your desire to manipulate the controls should be indicated by saying "I have control" and as soon as I've take my hands and feet off I will say "You have control". When you pass control to me you say "you have control" and when I have put my feet and hands are on the controls I will say "I have control" and you then take your feet and hands off the controls. Is that correct? "

Then if he doesn't take his feet off repeat "I have control" and then if no joy "I said I have control, why are you not taking you feet off? This could work as it appeals to professional cockpit communications and reminds him what he is supposed to be doing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Pace
4th May 2011, 11:09
If you have an issue with your instructor the air is not the place to deal with it.

Have a chat with him on the ground and explain to him that his constant interferance is causing you problems.

You have to feel natural flying and there is nothing worse than feeling you are only partially in control.

There are two reasons
Either he thinks you are a lousy pilot which he obviously doesnt as you would not have been sent solo.
Or he is an overcautious nervy sort of instructor.

Ok there are occasions when an instructor will make an input usually on landing to avoid a very heavy or bad arrival but even there its better to let the student find and acknowledge his own mistakes as long as he doesnt bend the aircraft in the process.

Have a chat with him! explain how you feel! get his input and get it sorted.

Pace

B2N2
4th May 2011, 15:25
If that doesn't help, talk to the Chief Flight instructor.
This is getting annoying.

stevelup
4th May 2011, 21:25
It's probably nothing more sinister than him using the rudder pedals as footrests...

Does he constantly touch the stick as well or is he hands off with that? My thinking is that if he's not hanging onto the stick, then it's likely the feet are there by accident.

Conventional Gear
4th May 2011, 21:42
I think it's a shame that this thread has gone on again about your instructors feet. Change instructor or live with it.

The important thing though is as yet nobody has said:

CONGRATULATIONS

on your first solo, may it be the first of many many more :ok:

Just get the rest done and you'll not have those feet in the way anymore. :}